Runs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlitzensmyBunny

Reaction score
Blitzen has some runs....This has never happened to him before. What should I do?

Today, he has eaten some oats, pellets, and one grape (which he has had before).

Would the runs be due to wheather change?

Hi Blitzen's Mom,

It's most important that you not let him dehydrate. Syringe feed himwater if he's not drinking. High fiber will help dry him up, so extrahay, rolled oats, and old fashioned oats if you have any would be greatfor him right now. A bit of dry bread might be a hit for him too. Nofruits, treats, or vegetables at this time is what I'd recommend untilhe's over this.

In many cases, rabbits get the runs because they may have a problemwith their digestive system or because they don't have enough of fiberin their diet. Coccidiosis is a parasite/disease that a rabbit can get.If the rabbit has a big belly and boney on top by the back bone, thatcould be an indication. The fur wouldn't look as smooth either.

Scrub down the cage, as I'm sure you've already had it that way though,keep the areas clean, and be sure that he doesn't urinate or defecateon the hay that he's eating as either mold or parasites could be anissue.

I'm sure others will add much more that I'm leaving out.

Keep us posted on our little guy. Blitzen is very special.

-Carolyn

P.S. A smidgen of NutriCal wouldn't hurt.

Back