runny stool

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna21

Reaction score
I was on the ground petting Giz this morning and when he hopped away he left a few small wet round brown spots and his bum seemed to have a little bit on it as well, so I put him in his cage for the day, I have put him on a hay and water diet and has had a few normal poos in his litter pan, I am perplexed at what this might be, this has never happened before:? earlier before he did this he had plenty of normal poos and pees on his litter pan, I am just concerned because of how watery it was even though there was so little of it. He is also having a very heavy molt so I am concerned it could be a blockage:(

Update: I did end up giving Gizz his pellets and veggies since he did have a few good poos in his litter box, I am confused, everything seems normal :? I will be watching him closely, in the meantime I am happy to report he is drinking and eating normally :) which probably means no stasis

Sometimes a rabbit can have a sensitivity to a certain vegetable and have loose/runny stools after eating it. If everything seems normal perhaps that could be it. If it happens again think about what you have been feeding him.

Ayellowish/brown watery discharge along with signs of pain and/or refusual to eat or drink can be signs of mycotoxicosis, which is very dangerous, but what you described did not sound like that.

I have been feeding him parsley and packaged mixed greens, all of which he has had before, is it possible the veggies could have been bad? the parsley and salad looked good, I only get brand new every week :S either way, I will be weary of what veggies I am giving to him now that you mention it.

The best way to tell if greens are OK for a rabbit to eat is to ask yourself if you would eat them. (Rabbits are actually less able to tolerate veggies going bad than are humans.) But if they looked good enough you would eat them, they were probably fine. It would be a good idea to wash them though, even if you buy sacks of pre-washed greens.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
Might it have been a bit of left over cecotrope? Our get messy when the lay around and don't finish them off.
:yeahthat: That was my first thought as well.

It might have been a cecotrope, I was already thinking that, before all of this happened he acted completely normal and was binkying, go figure ...lol:p I will be washing all my greens from now on, even if they are pre-washed, you can never be too careful ;)

Latest posts

Back