Runny Stool (History of EC)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mushroom

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

Mushroom has been off his meds for EC for almost a month now and has been doing great! His weight is normal again and he acts like a regular bunny!

But today and 3 days ago he had about a quarter sized amount of runny stool. Before he got sick with EC, he had runny stool (undeveloped cecotropes I've always thought) on and off for about 3 years. He was never treated for them. When he was brought in to the vets with EC, they told me the undeveloped cecotropes could be a symptom of the EC and that they might clear up after treatment. I am just concerned that maybe they are because of another parasite or something else that should be treated - I don't want his EC to be set off again!

Mushroom eats a quarter cup of Oxbow Adult Timothy Hay pellets everyday and has access to unlimited timothy hay. We've noticed sometimes the soft poos are after fresh veggies and we limited them because we don't want to upset his stomach. I am wondering if veggies are ever the cause or if taking them away is a bad idea (because I know they are good for bunny nutrition!) the Veggies he gets that cause the least upset are parsley, carrot tops and (limited) carrots, and lettuce. Everything is always washed thoroughly.

Today, he made this runny stool around 10 AM and had not had any veggies for 3 days. I am just wondering what could be the cause :what

photo 1.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 2.jpg

Mushroom just peed right outside his pooper, I wiped it up and noticed it had a brown tinge. I attached a photo, the part that has a tinge is top right of the kleenex. I dont know how long this has been going on because his carefresh litter is grey

Mush had 2 kidney and liver tests throughout his treatment and both came up completely normal. His last test was Sept 20

photo-2.jpg

It's possible that this is just a diet related problem and doesn't have anything to do with the EC problems your rabbit has had. Some rabbits just have sensitive digestive systems and have to remain on a strict diet to stay healthy and prevent the mushy poop from occurring. Even though in most cases, veggies are good for rabbits, some rabbits just can't tolerate them, or just a specific one. More often I have found that the mushy poop is caused by treats and/or too many pellets, but veggies can do it to. If you aren't feeding sugary starchy treats that could be causing the mushy poop, then you could try cutting out the veggies for a few days to see if that helps clear it up. If it does, and you still want to feed veggies to your bun, then you could try reintroducing veggies one at a time and very slowly, so that if he gets the mushy poop again, then you can pinpoint which veggie(s) is causing it. If eliminating veggies doesn't clear it up, then you may need to try reducing pellet amounts next. You may need to even eliminate them for a short time, depending on how bad the mushy poop is.

When a rabbit has mushy poop, there is always a possibility that parasites are involved. If this is a concern you should phone your vet, maybe get a fecal test done.

Pee color can vary depending on what your rabbit is eating. A brownish or orangish tinge may just have to do with what he was fed earlier.

Last edited:
Along with what JBun said, I'd offer him a probiotic. Gus is prone to mushy poops (cecals), too. I give him about a pea-sized amount of Probios gel for about a 5-7 days and it seems to work great for firming up his poop.

Hope that helps!

Rue

I tend to agree with the others. Runny stool is more an indicator of diet/gut issues. Extra hay and probiotics should help, that and figuring out what food is causing it.

Latest posts

Back