Runny nose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnieNMolly

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have two 4 month old bunnies. Today after they ate their greens one of them sneezed about 10 times in a row and twisted her head a couple times while she was jumping around. I immediately went to google to see what that it could mean. After that one time she hasn't done it again so I wasn't too concerned. But a few minutes ago I was down playing with them and noticed both of their noses looked a little wet. I'm not sure if it's water or not, but I'm sort of freaking out. They are both eating/drinking/playing perfectly fine.

Should I be concerned? Can a runny nose be normal at all? I can't take them to a vet until Monday, but I also don't want to make the trip with them if it's not necessary. I dont want to stress them out!

What colour is it?
Dry the noses off and see if it comes back.
Is there any discharge?
Any eye discharge?

Rabbits can have allergies, rabbits can get things stuck up their noses that make them sneeze. So lets get some more info.

It's hard to tell the color because they are both brown. It doesn't really look green/yelllw/crusty. Just wet.

Their eyes seem to look fine too. I tried to dry them and hold them to get a better look at it but they won't sit still long enough. :( I haven't noticed the wetness until today.

EDIT: it does look a little crusty. It looks like it dried up and didn't go away as water probably would:

Personally, I would just keep an eye on them for now. I mean if we got something up our nose irritating it, snot kind of helps flush/keep it out. It could just be a one off. I cant walk outside in the cold with out my nose running but I dont have allergies or a cold, some stuff just has no reason.

If it persists and you notice any change in appetite or breating. Or there is visible discharge that is coloured. Or they start getting goopey eyes. Then a vet visit for sure.

Thank you for your response!

I was just able to get a better look at her nose while she was sitting still drinking from her bottle and I could sort of see up her nose a little on a piece of white fur and it was definitely yellow. Im devastated right now, as I try to take such good care of them. :( :( :(

I've found some sites that talk about treating with Echinacea. Do you know anything about this? The link is below

http://eggpen.com/how-to-use-echinacea-to-treat-a-rabbit-with-snuffles/

'IF' she does have snuffles and it gets worse because the "natural" stuff doesnt work, then youre asking for trouble.
Most vets will perscribe Baytril which is too overly used and not usually strong enough.

It is often recommended to have a bacterial culture done to know exactly what meds to use.

Have a read through this thread as well just searching Snuffles or pasturella on the forum.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=66028

http://vetmed.tamu.edu/news/pet-talk/a-case-of-the-snuffles

Thank you! I will give these links a look. A plan to take them to the vet first thing on Monday. I'm a microbiologist and will culture it when I return to work if the vet doesn't. Thank you for your advice!

Latest posts

Back