Runny nose???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyRabbit33

Reaction score
Okay so today i got a new rabbit from a pet store, about an hour ago. Now i noticed that when she breathes i can hear mucous in her nose. If she just sits i don't hear it but if she sniffs something to check it out you can hear the mucous in her nose.Also when she rubbed her face on my hand there was a little line of it.What's wrong with her? is it snuffles? my moms trying to schedule a vet checkup asap, and i took my other rabbit away and washed my hands.

It is a good idea toquarantine new bunnies when you bring them home. I would keepthem separated until you have her checked out by the vet. What were theconditions at the Pet Shop? Were there other bunnies that lookedsick? I've seen breeders use antibacterial soap whenthey handle bunnies at shows.

Rainbows! :)

Umm at the shop she lived in a decent sized cage with bedding and overall it looked good. There was one other rabbit who lived in a small cage who looked very healthy. I was mad at how small the others cage was though, but she got bought by a breeder while i was there so that's ok. Does anyone know if this rabbit can be very sick or could it just be fine? thanks a lot

i got one of my rabbits from the pet store and when i brought him home i noticed he had a stuffy nose and was sneezing alot. he went to the vet and they told me and my mom that he was perfectly healthy so i think yours is fine but still take him/her to a vet just in case!!:)

It got a little better. I haven't heard the mucous in a while now. Before there was a tiny bit of a wet mark around her nose, but you could hear it easily. She is all blackand a tiny bit of her nose had dry mucous on it. It wasn't colored, it isn't thick, and she isn't rubbing it with her paws. The only thing i can hear now is an occasional whiff of air when she blows out of her nose to clear up some mucous.

Okay, that's good.

Just be cautious until a vet checks her. If you handle her,wash your hands thoroughly before touching Binky. If you've held her, I would change shirts, too.

It may just be allergies, but better safe than sorry.

Uh oh, she just woke up and was drinking water and was sneezing? I'm not positive if it was sneezing or clearing her nose but she sneezed and wiped her nose with her paws. Shes doing this continuously over her water bowl, her body quivers really quick with a sneeze sound.

It could just be allergies. She's in anew environment suddenly with different smells. I have a rabbit that sneezes regularly, sometimes 20 in a row, if the pellets or hay are dusty.

The vet will get to the bottom of it. Does your vet treatrabbits regularly?

I've never been to a vet yet since ima new rabbit owner, but i have one in mind from the rabbit savvy list.Now that i think about it i remember that she was kept in a back room with many birds, many the birds caused alergies that have stuck with her here?

I suppose it's possible.

Do you have her in a cage? Does she have hay? Did she have hay at the shop? Are you using a different type of pellet than she had there?

I am using a different type of pellet. She doesn't have any hay though, because she didn't get any at the store.And yes, she's in a cage.

It could be any number of things. She could have something (like a pellet) caught in her nose and just trying to get it out.

The rabbit savvy vet will know what to check for.

UPDATE: We took her to the vet today. He said that she is fine and that we can put her with binky. Just something like a rabbit cold was it, thanks for the advice and care everyone,i really appreciate it. :)

That's good to hear.

I wouldn't recommend bonding or sharing a cage until they are both neutered/spayed.

We need pics of the new girl! :)

Yup pictures required.

Hi, I have had a couple of rabbits that get very snuffy and get a runny nose when they are stressed, like travelling to the vets, one hated it that much that she would slaver really bad and her chest would end up soggy but once she got home and settled down she would be fine again it could be just that.

Latest posts

Back