Runny goopy eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayley411

Reaction score
All three of the babies have runny eyes. It first started with Luna and I treated it with Terramycin it went away. the next day (yesterday) Leah got runny eyes and I treated her with Terramycin, its worse today than yesterday. Now today Oliver is getting it (eyelids are bright pink, slightly runny) and Luna's getting it again. I have beenputting the Terramycin in their eyes twice a day. Also all three of them are in seperate cages (leah's cage is on top of oliver's but Luna is on the other side of the room) so how has this spread. What else can I do besides the Terramycin? Well here are a couple pics: ......Keep in mind that some of this is the Terramycin.

Leah yesterday:

bunnies009.jpg

Leah today:

bunnies017.jpg

Luna:

bunnies019.jpg

And Oliver: note the red rings around his eyes.

bunnies012.jpg

Also Luna is in the same cage as Sherbert (I am trying to keep them a bonded pair) should I seperate them so that Sherbert doesn't get it too? Thanks

~Hayley

I generally don't have much success with Terramycin and I don't particularly care for pointments. I do have more success with drops and generally use either Tobramycin or Gentamicin. Those two have better coverage..and the drops can more easily get into places the ointment doesn't get to. I usually do the drops four times per day. In between, I use a saline eye flush to wash the discharge out and lubricate the eye. Both the drugs I mentioned are prescription only.

It is also possible, not likely since all three have it, that there is something like dust causing irritation. But regardless of the cause, you should be aware of the possibility of corneal abrasions. This can come from something like hay scratching the lens of the cornea....or the rabbit's own nails as they might try to groom themselves. And a word of caution when treating ocular issues....use of medications with steroids is many times contraindicated and they can actually increase the problem to the point of blindness. The eyes are nothing to plan with since once they are damaged, it is forever. So be very careful about any drugs you use.

Randy

I agree with Randy. I use Tobramycin or Gentamycin drops for eye problems. As he mentioned, eyes are nothing to mess with. Id get one to the vet asap for an exam and get some medications for all three.

Well I don't think I am going to have to take them in as Luna and Leah are back to normal and oliver is not any worse. I am happy that they are getting better because frankly I really do not have the money to take them in right now. Thanks for the info about the other medications next time I'm in I'll have to ask about them (or if they take a turn for the worse i'll be back at the vet in no time :().

~Hayley

Latest posts

Back