Runny Eyes!?!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unk, or runny? Clear, white, yellow, or green? How thick is the stuff? Like goop or fluid running down his face? How's his appetite? Eye issues can be caused by molar spurs, from respiritory issues, and other causes.

Its like gunk, not runny or anything. It hardens into a hard crust. Its clear with some brown. He seems to be seeing out of it fine and it doesnt seem to be irritating him

How long has it been there? If you wipe it away, does it come back? Does his eye or eyelids appear reddened? Does he have dusty hay or litter? One of my buns is sensitive to dust and gets a little gunk and clear, thin tears coming out of his eye if dust is bothering him (like if the bale of hay is extra dusty).

naturestee wrote:
How long has it been there? If you wipe it away, does it come back? Does his eye or eyelids appear reddened? Does he have dusty hay or litter? One of my buns is sensitive to dust and gets a little gunk and clear, thin tears coming out of his eye if dust is bothering him (like if the bale of hay is extra dusty).

I dont think his litter is dusty and he wont let me wipe it away, he always yanks his head back. His eyelids arnt red. My friend who works at petco said it was just matted fur, but there is definatly gunky.

If it's not clear, and there's enough to mat the fur under the eye, it could be signs of infection.

I would recomend planning a visit to the vet.

In the meantime you could use some sterile saline solution and a some sterile gauze to clean under the eye. Make sure you don't go near the other eye and spread the problem.

If it's really matted you could use a compress of warm chamomile tea before trying to clean it. Make sure you use sterile gauze for the compress.
Chamomile tea is a natural antibiotic, so that can help if there is an infection, too.

:pray:

Im probably goin to get negetive answers from this, but i cut out the bery little marting that was there. It was like, teeny bits of fur STUCK TOGETHER, not matted.

:shock:GAH ! YOU shouldn't have done that; you could have very seriously injured him!!!!

Jim D gave you some good suggestions.

I think that it's time to have a vet look at it rather than attempt self treatment.

I'm not going to go into whether you're a "terrible owner" or not.
You're concerned and tried to improve the situation. Just maybe not in the best way recommended.

I still think you should try following the advice I've given......

And definitely plan a vet visit soon, too.

Gently clean the area under the eye using sterile saline and sterile gauze.

Warm compresses of warm chamomile tea will help to sooth and help keep any infection under control until you can get him to a vet.

Remember to try and keep the treatment limited to the affected eye and avoid spreading it to the other one.

OreoTheBunny wrote:
Hmgh.....

I'm not sure if that was a positive or negative response. :?

It really doesn't matter though.

Bottom line here is the welfare of the bunny without judgement of the owner.

Our concerns are in the best interest of the bun.

I think a trip to a vet is in order regardless.
You need to figure out WHY the eye was runny.
Tooth issues? Infection? Allergies? Respiratory? Injury? Internal eye issues? All of which a vet will need to properly diagnose. You dont want it to go un-seen and have the issue come back even worse. It could be a very serious issue, but none of us here can see oreos eye or have the tools to test for what the issue is over the internet.

Please take Oreo to the vet :)

I hope that everything works out for the best, and that Oreo gets to feeling better soon.

Please keep us posted.

:pray:

Know how you feel when you have a sick bunny. You feel terrible wondering what's going on. Seeing this sweet thing not feeling good.

To ease your mind and know what's going on, I would definitely take a trip to the Vet. It could just be allergies but then again, it could be something that needs attention.

Wishing Oreo the best. Hoping everything works out for you. Please keep us posted.

K :)

My vet charges $40 for a visit.... plus whatever is needed for treatment.

How's Oreo doing?

Have you tried any of the home remedies that we've suggested?

Alright... I wiped out the eye as well as I could and my mom said shed make Chamille tea tomorrow. We are going to try and get him to get a check up since he hasn't had one in a while.

Latest posts

Back