Runny eye - Plus spay tomorrow!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnycat

Reaction score
Recently, I've noticed that Bean has a runny eye. It's her left eye. Her right seems normal to me and she hasn't been sneezing or sounding wheezy. She's acting very normal... any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Also, she's going to get spayed tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous for her! Do you guys have any suggestions or things I should know before taking her in as well as after i bring her home? She'll be dropped off at 7:15 AM and picked up around 3:00 PM.

Thanks everyone!

Have a read through the posts on this topic.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12040&forum_id=10

As per the eye, its hard to tell. What colour is the fluid weeping from it? Is it thick? If its clear and simply looks like tears it may just be something stuck in here eye. Anything else may be a sign of infection. Either way shes going to the vets tomorrow so might as well have them look at it for you :)

If you have normal saline eye drops ( NaCl 0.9% nothing else ) you can give her a drop or 2 in the irritated eye and see if it offers any relief.

It looks clear to me, but I'll be sure to keep watching it to see if it progresses, and if I have saline drops I'll try it out.

Thank you so much for the information! It's very helpful!

Eye problems can be related to tooth issues. The root of a tooth can grow up and cause issues with the eye. This can't be seen in an exam and would need x-rays or the head. While there can be other causes,if she is going under anyway it can be a good time to get and x-ray done.

Definelty mention it to the vet tomorrow. They can take a look and let you know what they think it may be and you can then do any treatment needed.

Well apparently, little Bean is not actually a female... he's a male! We took him in this morning and the doctor checked him out and informed us that Bean is not a girl! Haha I was expecting that a little bit, but I'm sort of glad he's a boy because a neuter is much cheaper than a spay.

He's home now and his eye seems like it has not watered any more, but I will still be sure to look out for it to return or any other signs and will then plan on another vet visit if it seems to be an issue.

Latest posts

Back