Runny eye??? HELP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyworld

Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I am new to this place and i specifically made an account to ask you all what i should do.

I have a female rabbit who is about 4yo. I've had her for almost 2 years, i adopted her from a family that couldn't raise her any longer. She is perfectly fine, acting as always, BUT her right eye has been runny for about a week?? It's not always wet, but most of the time, it is. I took her to a vet and he said her eyelashes get in her lids, causing them to be runny. He said to cotton swab the area with cotton wet with chamomile. I've been doing that but i see no particular change. Should i take her to another vet??

PS: English isn't my first language, my bunny is the 3rd bunny I'm raising since 2011, but my first female and first adopted one.

Did the vet check for a blocked tear duct or make sure your rabbit didn't have a scratched cornea? Is the eye starting to get cloudy at all, or is there any white sticky discharge from the eye? Or is it just clear discharge? Did the vet prescribe any eye drops, and if so, which one?

Medirabbit: causes of runny eyes

Medirabbit: corneal abrasion and ulcer

He checked her eye, he didn't find anything else wrong with it from what he told me.
He didn't give me eye drops, he said he would if the cotton swab thing didn't work after a week. I will take her today for him to see her.

Her eye is clear, there's no discharge that is white, it's just the usual clean teary substance like our eyes have.

See, i worry because i got her with a sneeze issue, but it's been two years and she's never gotten over it but she's also never had an issue with it at all. She just sneezes but is fine. So I'm wondering if the eye thing could be the same, just watery for whatevet reason, but not an actual problem.

Edit: The first time the same eye (it's always only the right one) was runny, was some months ago, because she was jumping inside the hay bag and dust from hay was irritating her eye. Once i took away the hay bag, everything was fine within a day.
I clean every other day, i have checked everything that comes to my mind that could cause eye irritation to her, but her eye is still runny for a week+.

Last edited:
Maybe she is sensitive or allergic to something. Though that wouldn't really be the cause of one eye being consistently runny. I would have the vet take a closer look, maybe check that there's no debris stuck in the eye and that the tear duct is draining properly. If it does end up being an eye lash, you'll probably need lubricating eye drops to protect the eye from getting ulcerated, until it grows out. Or if it continues to be a problem, surgery maybe.

If you're not sure about your vet being very good, here's a rabbit vet list.

http://www.rabbitvet.net/Eurovets.htm

Maybe she is sensitive or allergic to something. Though that wouldn't really be the cause of one eye being consistently runny. I would have the vet take a closer look, maybe check that there's no debris stuck in the eye and that the tear duct is draining properly. If it does end up being an eye lash, you'll probably need lubricating eye drops to protect the eye from getting ulcerated, until it grows out. Or if it continues to be a problem, surgery maybe.

If you're not sure about your vet being very good, here's a rabbit vet list.

http://www.rabbitvet.net/Eurovets.htm
I will have the vet examine her very well and then, depending on what he says, i will decide if i have to take her elsewhere.

Thank you for the list of vets!!! Sadly, all of them are quite far from me, but if need be, I'll take her there too!!

For any sickness or allergy I just do a deep clean, and feed them some Oregano 🌿

Hello everyone!! I am new to this place and i specifically made an account to ask you all what i should do.

I have a female rabbit who is about 4yo. I've had her for almost 2 years, i adopted her from a family that couldn't raise her any longer. She is perfectly fine, acting as always, BUT her right eye has been runny for about a week?? It's not always wet, but most of the time, it is. I took her to a vet and he said her eyelashes get in her lids, causing them to be runny. He said to cotton swab the area with cotton wet with chamomile. I've been doing that but i see no particular change. Should i take her to another vet??

PS: English isn't my first language, my bunny is the 3rd bunny I'm raising since 2011, but my first female and first adopted one.
This is just a thought probably not what it is but has your bunny been sneezing a lot, coughing, or breathing loudly if so she might have the sniffles (my 6month old bun died bc of it 2 days ago)

Latest posts

Back