running away from me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheridan

Reaction score
Any help would be great. For about 4-5 days now,whenever the bunnies hear me coming(I call out for them) They stop whatthey are doing and run into their hutch, thumping their feet!!!:(

In the past(ie last week) when they heard me coming they would comerunning out to greet me, but never really liked the whole petting thing

I dont know what I have done or what I should do. If I out food or treats in my hand they still come and eat from my hand!!

Its making me so sad!!

Aww that must be very frusterating. When I firstgot Wiley, he didn't come to me right away and now he follows my feet,I have to try not to step on him. From what I have read, it is a trustissue when they run away from you. Whatever you do, do not chase thembecause then they see you as a threat. Honestly, bribary works withsoft sweet encouragement. Don't be physical and grab them or anythinglike that, in fact try not to touch them but let them come to you. Itmight take alot of work and it will not be better in a day or two, butwhen you gain there trust they will be running to you in no time!

They are now about 10 months old and I have had thm since they were 2 months old.

It just started all of a sudden and you are right it is soooofrustrating!! They are completely fine with me if I have any sort offood for them! SOOO SAD!!

might be some kind of smell. have you been around any new animals or places?

My rabbit Anna does that to me as well. For her,she associates me with a) being picked up, when she sees me gettingnear her cage - which she absolutely hates; and b) I am the one whospoils her fun and has to catch her when she is running loose in thebackyard. When she is in the house and is loose, she will approach mewith no problems, and will climb all over me if I'm sitting on thefloor. She will also approach me outdoors when she's running loose, butas soon as she sees it's time to go back in her hutch, off she runs.And so when she's in her cage, she runs to the back most times when Iapproach it.

So now that the rabbits are indoors for the winter I'm working with herto gain back her trust. When I open her cage door, I step back from itand allow her to take her time in coming back out. I scratch her nose(which she loves) for several minutes, and will give her atreat and praise her. And when she's loose in the house I allow her togo where she wishes (but well away from wires). I don't follow heraround, but watch her from a distance.

Since the rabbits absolutely love their freedom running loose in theyard during the warm weather, and the only way to get Anna back to hercage when it's time to go in is to try and herd her into a corner, thistends to reinforce the issue of her feeling 'trapped' by me. (Raph hasto be the easiest rabbit in the world to get back to his cage...hecomes right to you when you call his name, even when loose in theyard.) But I don't want to jeopardize Anna's freedom outdoors, so Ihave to accept with this issue...however, I do try to counteract it asmuch as possible by praising her when I can; approaching her when she'soutdoors (when she allows it), but only to pet her; and by making ahabit of not always taking her out of her cage every time I go to it.

With your bunnies, is it actual human contact that they don't care for(being petted)? Or do you pick them up or remove them from their cagesoften after you've approached it? I'm wondering if it's possible theyare associating your presence at the cage to being picked up. I likeStephany's suggestions; and if your rabbits are indoors, or if youbring them indoors frequently, then designate an area where they canrun loose. You can sit in one spot with treats that they like, andwhenever they approach you, give them a bit, and scratch them behindthe ears or on the nose - but only if they like being scratched. Avoidpicking them up as much as possible, and encourage them to be the onescoming to you, rather than you to them. Hopefully this will help themto stop running away when you approach. I suspect they will eventuallycome around for you.

And I think I'll go and work with Anna now....;)

The bunnies are outside and have a huge area ofthe patio to run free on. At night they are in their hutch which alsohas a run attached to it. To let them out all I do is open the run thenstep back.

I dont really attempt to pick them up as I know they dont like it.

I havent been near any other pets or new places. Its the wierdest ever.All I do is put food in my hands and hold it down and they come runningand the run away.

Today I did my usual and called to them as I was getting near theirarea and all I hear is this banging as both bunnies came bounding outof the hutch at full speed and towards the gate and me:bunnydance:

I actually got a little nip from one of them as they fought over whogot the food from my hand. Really really wierd. I put some food intheir hutch and then proceeded to clean their litterbox and their poopson the floor of the hutch and neither moved away. I even got theoccassional pet in;)

I dont know if I am imagining this part( probably am) but when Istopped stroking Ellies nose(she really hates it usually) her headfollowed my hand until I did it again and thats when she carried oneating!!!

If I didnt know any better I would say they were hormonal(they were spayed 5 months ago!!!)

Has anything at all changed - your laundrydetergent, your hand soap, the food they get, etc. etc.? Have you takenthem somewhere they dislike, maybe the vet's?

Nibbles attacked my feet and ankles a couple of weeks ago, nipping andbiting like a crazy rabbit - all because I'd changed the skin lotion Iuse on my feet. I expected some kind of reaction, but nothing likethat! Once she got used to the smell (after a few hours), everythingwas fine.

At any rate, there has to have been something that's upset your girls -it's not about you personally. I'd suggest thinking through all thisstuff, as well as the things others have suggested.... You might wellbe able to figure out what's going on.

As for regaining your buns' trust, you've got some great advice here.

Of course they do - they're such mischievous creatures! :)

Also, have you been around any other animals - rabbits, dogs, cats,anything that they're not used to? My bun got angry when she smelled adog on my clothes and immediately peed on the rug on purpose.(Territory marking plus a bit of "I'll show you who's in charge!," Ithink. ;))

sheridan wrote:
I swear they do this to me on purpose.

Latest posts

Back