Run attachment ideas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curiouscarrot

Reaction score
I've bought some (outdoor) runs for the bunnies and would like some ideas as to what you bunny people have found a good way to arrange them/attach to their bunny house.

I've bought some pavers to put inside around the edges to (hopefully) stop them digging out, but assuming they can't dig out, should I leave them with access at all times, or should I shut it off at night and confine them to their house? My main concern about night-time access would be that they'd dig out and run away. The runs are fully enclosed (except on the bottom), so to attach them to their house I'll need to put in a door, or a hatch or cut the wire, add a tunnel, something..... I have no idea what would be good. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

never assume anything!
i would definitely lock them up at night. i'm not sure where you are, but here in the south west, there are foxes. also, predators can frighten bunnies to death, literally, so make sure they can hide and not feel too exposed (ie sheets/ tarps/ car covers/ shade cloth/ cat tunnels/ boxes. some cages have runs that attach, but i don't know much about that, so i'm in your position that way. also, i keep wire under my cages, coz my boy has been known to tunnel out. see? assume nothing!

Thanks, yes I'd already decided to get some kind of door to the run. Even if I find out in time that it's ok for them to decide where they go, in the short term I'll feel better confining them to the bunny house when I want to. I'm thinking a cat door might be the way to go (it'll only be into the attached run, not accessible to any cats), I just have to find out how to put it on (I'll need to attach some kind of frame) and I'll need to add some additional bits to the runs so that I can remove the mesh where they are going to join up together. I am going to consult some blokes at the "Men's Shed" to ask what's the best way to go about it. I was hoping the pavers will be enough to stop them trying to escape, but I'm going to watch them to suss out their behaviour and I'll wire the runs on the bottom if they indicate that they are not going to give up trying. I'd like them to be able to dig if they want to, as long as they aren't digging a tunnel to China to escape from me and my "terrible" attempts to pat them. :D (Quick! Run! Back to the litter box! She's going for the pat again!")

Runaround.co.uk is great for tunnels and doors to attach hutches and sheds to runs I have one it's great in the mornings I twist the twisty things inside and take out the hard clear plastic disc and the buns go in and out in to their run as they chose they seem to live being outside except for mid day when I think they chill inside shed lol but will come out for food or grass.

Thanks, yes, they seem to have much better "bunny stuff" over there. The available hutches I've seen online are much better than the ones available here. I could investigate ordering from overseas, but I want to get it set up ASAP so they can always have more room to run around in.

6 foot by 4 foot wire hop house design run with ramp to the hutch on black top. Five does have twenty-four access run to the side to meet and greet any humane or critter that passes by.

probably more bunny savvy in the uk cc, but if you are thinking of your buns comfort, that is half the battle already won.:happybunny: and yes, watch them, coz i have a big cage with a cat flap, and it has a dog kennel in it, and my baby cino and his gf used to live there wuite happily in mildish weather, but benjamin escaped into the laundry via the catflap, and another time, must have been hiding in the catflap cavity? and we fretted for a good half hour. he also escaped out of the bottom of his outdoor hutch by burrowing, whereas cino would just dig. i think the wire is bad if it is suspended. i haven't had any trouble with it at ground level, also the wire holes can be quite wide, as long as they can't get hurt escaping, that's all i worry about (well not all, but you catch my drift).

Latest posts

Back