Rudy is in the Hospital

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nc_bunnys

Reaction score
This past Thursday evening Rudy did not eat his 1 ounce of pellets he gets at bedtime. Friday morning, he still had not eaten them. He ate his salad & I could not tell if he ate his hay since he had thrown it all over the floor. Off to the vet we go Friday morning. Everything checked out ok but we did not xray his tummy. Big mistake. He has only eaten salads over the weekend, drank little water, ate little pellets & hay. He was put on Orbax, BeneBac & Gas Drops. He took his medicine like it was candy. I was able to syringe some water. He sleeps & plays. Poo Box had fewer poos & they were smaller. He would not take but a syringe of critical care, would not eat pumpkin. I wet his greens down to give him extra water.

Off to the vet we go this morning. Xray shows Stasis. He is receiving fluids & meds to get his gut moving.

Poor Rudy has had a rough life. He was a stud bun the first year of his life in a rabbitry. They gave him to someone to eat. He was so skinny, they tried to fatten him up with scratch feed (chicken). Once they figured out a Mini Rex would not get big, they threw him in the yard for the border collies to chase. Rudy was so hungry, he sat & ate grass, would not run from the dogs. So he was given to me.

Rudy is 2-1/2 years old, neutered a year ago. He is the sweetest Mini Rex with rich velvety fur. He may get to come home this evening.
rudy.jpg

*This is a picture of Rudy at North Myrtle Beach, SC at Easter.

Sorry to hear that Rudy is sick. If his ears were floppy he would look exactly like Derby. Once they start on mobility drugs, sub Q fluids most come around quickly. Best of luck little man.

Oh poor Rudy. I hope he starts to feel better real soon.

Geez he surely had a rough start to his life, he's so lucky he's with you now.

Prayers that he gets better real fast. :pray::pray::pray:

Big Hugs for Rudy.

Susan & The Gang:sickbunny:

My bandit had the same problem after we moved from my home in NY to my apartment in CT. After he received fluids and pain medication the vet sent me home with two types of medicine to get his GI moving again, I bought baby gas drops too (not sure if it helped but it could never hurt to try) and I had oxbow critical care from his neuter. Within the next 24-36 hours he was eating his pellets, drinking from his bottle and running around like his crazy self again. Give him lots of love and rest and he will recover! keep trying the oxbow, maybe try a smaller syringe, bandit didn't like the medium one but took to the smaller one better. He also LOVED cilantro if you want to try a new green. Good luck, keep us posted!

Rudy is back home. He was given fluids & a Reglan shot. I have liquid Reglan to give him every 8-12 hrs. I am to give him pineapple juice. I cut up a fresh pineapple, blended & strained the juice.
:pleaseplease: How much juice should he get???
He will drink a gallon if I let him. If he is not a lot better in the AM I am taking him back for more fluids.

Latest posts

Back