Ruby won't stop humping Fluffy....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PepnFluff

Reaction score
Hey does anyone have any ideas on whatI can do to stop Ruby constantly chasing Fluff trying to hump him, Fluff the most gentle bunny In the world who has never bit a soul as begining to nip at her. Shes about 1.5 pound bigger than him and I seperated them yesterday and was thinking of fulling a spray bottle of water and giving her a spray on the bum whenever she chases him......I am aware spaying would most probebly fix this but not many vets here like spaying unless they think it's needed......

I had this problems with Daisy and penn and it totally resolve with daisy's spay.

If you can find a vet that has done a lot of them go for it but if not... or the vets are uncomfortable.. you'll just have to keep them separated ...maybe with fencing .
keep looking for a rabbit knowledgeable vet as it would be easier and better for her if she was spayed

Maybe one day vets will "get it". At least here in the US things are getting better as we are getting more trained exotic focus vets. Ifa female isn't used for breeding they are very prone to endometriosis and uterine cancer if they are not spayed. Same thing for neutering the boys. Many think it is strictly behavoral issues dealt with by spay/neuters....but is much more a long term health issue.

Randy

I'm not sure if that will happen in NZ within the next few years or so, we only have pne vet school in NZ and it's got a really big focus on farm animals not exotic ones:(. I did phone when I first got Ruby about getting one done but I was informed that my vet Martin had actually died, of cancer. He had encourage me to get the girls spayed as Ruby was put down after cancer was found, but Pep wasn't fit enough for surgery:(. I'm going to be seperating them for w few days and hoping it will cool down to how it was when they first bonded.

Is there an SPCA in your area? They will spay for a reasonable fee if you explain to them you can't find a vet to do it. But they are busy normally so you may have to wait a while.

NZminilops wrote:
Is there an SPCA in your area? They will spay for a reasonable fee if you explain to them you can't find a vet to do it. But they are busy normally so you may have to wait a while.
They dont spay their bunnies only cats and dogs I think, the vet they us Is my vet and Stoke vet. Were going in soon as they are due for their calicivirus shots and I think Fluff may have mites:( So hopefully I'll be able to talk to them about it and If they say no I'll phone Halifax vet which I've just been informed they do, do spays but charge the EARTH but they are really good and apparently all neuters etc are done with a appointment first then they judge wether it should be done. That extra thouroughness must be good:)

NZminilops wrote:

urmm... i called my local spca in auckland and they will not do it for other people even for a pay... they do cats, dogs, rabbits etc etc but they wont do it for you... maybe you can put ruby up for adoption, after she's nuetured (SPCA will do this) adopt her back :p hahah jokes.

all the best

xx

MyLOVEABLES!! wrote:
NZminilops wrote:

urmm... i called my local spca in auckland and they will not do it for other people even for a pay... they do cats, dogs, rabbits etc etc but they wont do it for you... maybe you can put ruby up for adoption, after she's nuetured (SPCA will do this) adopt her back :p hahah jokes.

all the best

xx
If I wanted to I could do that lol but that would be using them and they are allready having money issues:(and they dont spay or neuter any of their small animals, rabbits included at the SPCA here.... I think it would cost far to much money for them also they don't have much experience at all in rabbit care so wouldn't be able to tell If something was wrong etc...

I think it was just a phase....she hasn't humped for days now, well what I've seen anyway lol. I am going to get her spayed in the future and rumor has it that there's a new vet from England who's arrived and has been consulting at the SPCA and he's headed to my vet, or may already be there lol so when they go on monday I sha'll suss it all out.:p

Latest posts

Back