Rubber

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eve

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just have a quick question, any advice would be very much appreciated.

Layla was on the couch with me and I stupidly had the tv remote beside me. I always put the remote on the table so she can't chew on it, but I forgot about it today and she chewed off one small rubber button before I noticed what she was doing.

I feel so awful, I read that rubber doesn't digest, and am so scared it will cause a blockage.

Should I take her to the vet right away or should I wait to see if she is ok since it was a very small piece of rubber?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Eve :(

I wouldn't be too worried with only one missing button
Keep an eye on Layla for a couple of days....make sure she has lots of hay to munch on.

And look around.. :privateeyes..you may find the missing button laying around somewhere.

~Jim

PS: I seem to remember that Carolyn's remote looked more like a chew toy.:expressionless

That small amount shouldn't hurt her. Mocha ate more than that when she discovered the door jam.:rollseyes: If you're concerned, you can take away her pellets for a day to encourage her to eat more hay. That'll help scrub it out.

Thank you so muchLaura, JimD and Naturestee foryour replies!

Laura, thank youfor finding that thread for me :). I'm glad to hear button chewing is somewhat common, I felt like an awful bunny parent for not watching her closely enough.

JimD, thank you for your advice, I will make sure she haslarge amountsof hay to eat. That sounded pretty funny about Carolyn's remote looking like a chew toy :D

Naturestee, thank you for your help (as always :)), I'm glad to hear a visit to the vet isn't necessary at this stage. I won't give her pellets for dinner today so she eats more of the hay as you recommended. Did Mochahave any trouble aftereating some ofthe door jam?

Oh the imfamous missing buttons! Luckily for me, mine are outside rabbits so our remotes have all the buttons intact. ;)But one of my bucks ate almost an entire plastic Tupperware container when he was younger and he showed no ill effects.

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
.....But one of my bucks ate almost an entire plastic Tupperware container when he was younger and he showed no ill effects.
I forgot to mention that stuff.
All of my buns gnaw at their plastic litter pans. MooShu has done so to the point that there is no front left and the litter goes allover the place.
They also took turns in enlarging the access for the large Rubbermaid pan that we use for the "commuity pottie".
Binkie ate a BIG piece of the timothy hay bag and was no worse for it.

I'm trying to ween mine off drywall. :angryrant

And using my remote is all guesswork now... there's no numbers left at all. :sigh

sas:disgustand the gang of teeth :bunny17:bunny17:bunny17:bunny17:bunny17

Eve wrote:
Sillybunnies. I just can't understand how rubber and plastic can be tasty toeat :disgust:
I thinkit mustbe entertaining for them to watch us run around like idiots AFTER they've eaten it.
Kind of like dinner and a show!

Pipp wrote:
I'm trying to ween mine off drywall. :angryrant

S'more had started to gnaw at the drywall behind her cage. It's justclose enough for her to stick her nose out through the wires and beable to reach the wall. I keep moving her cage, but then the cage doorgets stuck on Chippy's waterbottle (oh!! the bother of things!!!).
I finally put up a piece of posterboard on the wall and she's nowvery content to rip it off in strips.
Talk about a bunnie on a mission!

Peppers is on a mission to totally remove thebuttons on our remote control for the TV. I dread the day Ihave to return the controller and the cable box to RogersCable.:? Maybe I can convince them it was defective anddidn't have any buttons??:huh;)

Runestonez wrote:
I dread the day I have to return the controllerand the cable box to Rogers Cable.:? Maybe I can convincethem it was defective and didn't have any buttons??:huh;)
We just had to exchange our cable stuff for the new HD equipment. Ithought they'd give me problems about the condition of the remote. Itwasn't missing buttons, but it was held together with tape and arubberband.....the lady just laughed and said, "This is nothingcompared to some that get returned!":D

Latest posts

Back