Routine Neuter, but i'm a paranoid mommy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banditcuster

Bunny Mom
Reaction score
So I got Puff last saturday, and today I dropped him off at the vets to get his neutering done, and matts that he came with removed.

I didn't pull his food or hay last night and like a dum dum gave him a carrot for going into the crate. Hoping the food doesn't do any harm for him.

And as we don't want a repeat of Oreo's Neuter (for some reason only got a pain shot and no pain meds to come home with due to my boyfriend..ended up trying to chew off his foot), I made sure I said I wanted to come home with pain meds, and Since I don't know where we put Oreo's cone of shame we would like him to come home with one as well. Did opt out of the laser therapy though.

should I restict his access in his cage? He came with a cage that was modified and has shevles he has to jump too. Should I take them down or do you guys think he will be smart enough to not do crazy things? (last animal i really had fixed that was mine was a dog...and Oreo had a super pet cage for his recovery)

I have Danilion greens, Kale, Romaine, and carrots. Should I offer those once he is home? He isn't a big fan of his pellets he came with (though that could be him still getting use to being here though he does 500s, and binkies all the time when he is out.)

Though he is a complete and utter sweet heart, the reasoning behind his neuter is we are hoping to introduce him to Oreo and Daisy. We are moving in a month or so, so figured he would be recovered from surgery by the time we got to neutral space so we can start bonding/intros as soon as we move. Also with the new house, it will be easier to keep them seperate if it comes to the point that they wont bond (just toss a baby gate at the top of the stairs, and presto two areas. :) )

I'm sure it'll be fine when he comes home. He'll be a bit groggy, but I'm sure he'll recover quickly. :)

When Felix was neutered, he was groggy for the first night while his meds wore off, but almost back to his old self the next day. He was antsy and wanting to jump around, so I restricted him as best I could, but he was leaping around again a couple of days after his neutering. I kept an eye on his stitches but luckily he was fine.

You might want to get some critical care, in case Puff does have any problems eating after surgery. Luckily Felix tucked straight into his hay, but I picked up some critical care just in case, and it's nice to have on hand in case of any emergency.

Puff is home. Have 3 days worth of pain meds, and a e-collar just in case.

Changed his bedding/litter when we got home so he wasn't on aspen, so he is on fleece and has carefresh in the litter box. Was a good boy for the girls at the vet and used the litter box. and I stopped at Tbell on the way home, and had them put lettuce in a container and not on my food. He went nommed it all up once he was put back in his cage. Turned off the light and letting him chill (for once he wasn't trying to stop the door from closing). so going to let him rest a bit since he seems a little tried, hoping he doesn't decide to jump to the top shelf, but he doesn't seem to be in the bouncing mood.

You should confine him in the cage for a couple of weeks, just to make sure he won't tear open his stitches running around. Taking down his shelves is also a good idea. Lettuce is not a good veggie for bunnies (linked to heart disease) but it's a good sign he's eating. Keep offering him hay, pellets, or romaine/dandelion, and give him some pain meds if he won't eat.

I'm sure he'll be fine! :)

Our vet had us confine the males 4 days and the females for a full week. Only had to use a collar on one, so we lucked out there too. We took ours into the vet office in their own hutch with food and hay and water--their words not ours--said you should let them eat right up to the time and then monitor to see that they are eating right after too. Had to syringe critical only one time too. Sooooo lucky!

Stewie is going in for his neuter in a few weeks, our vet told us pulling food/water is not necessary as bunnies can't vomit.

well, so far so good....other than not liking cage rest and not liking me checking out where his man bits use to be. <.<

On a happy note I don't have to fight him about taking his medication! and haven't needed the cone yet.

Oreo (our other boy) escaped the living room where he and Daisy live and said "Hi" through the bars of the cage... surprisingly no thumping or lunging... kind of looked like Puff was going to try and groom him through the cage like he does with myself and my boyfriend.

Latest posts

Back