Round 2 - Bailey goes for midnight emergency surgery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharper

Reaction score
copied and pasted from Hailey's & Bailey's blog
Round 2 - Bailey goes for midnight emergency surgery

Let me start off with I think I'm a horrible rabbit mom. I feel horrible for letting this happen. I feel just freaking awful. So any responding comments relating to that, I don't want to hear. I'm just going to let yal know how our wonderful night went.

Bailey's wound had been completely healed for a little over a week now. It's fully healed skin, just without fur in that spot. My vet gave me the go-ahead on getting them to bond during supervised playtimes. I started this last weekend. I posted about the success and that I was so excited how well it was going. The first day, Hailey did a couple of light nips at Bailey's back/rump area. A couple squirts of the water bottle at her and it completely went away. No humping, no biting every day after that. In fact, Bailey hadn't done her humping at all since the last injury of getting a bad bite to her genitals. They have been completely supervised, and still caged separately. All I saw had been grooming by both, they would lay side by side, legs to one side, play with their toys near each other, binkies, eat treats together -- It was like good buddies catching up on the times.

Last night was just like the previous nights. They played around in the kitchen, but were a little quiet which I think was related to the rain storm outside. They ate some yoggies and plopped down side by side. It was a little after 11pm, and it was about bed time. Time to clean up, get the rabbits to bed and call it a night. I was standing right there, turned around to dump out the litter box. My eyes were off of them for 1 second.

*squeeel!!*.....Are you freaking kidding me?

I turn around as Bailey is running as far away to the other side of the room. There is a clump of fur on the floor, but no skin this time. I thought maybe just some fur came out and Bailey was startled by it. I calmly said, "Okay guys, play time is over." I go to comfort Bailey and start to feel around her back and rump for any injuries - none. I pick her up to examine her belly - Oh My God.....her side was split on her underside. It was split down and to her inner thigh, kind of like the shape of a wishbone or a "Y". The skin was open, but there was no blood. Actually, her under epidermis was still intact. I didn't even know they had a 2nd skin underneath till last night. It was transparent, so I could still see her muscle and everything, but that thin layer was just holding everything in - no blood. But Bailey is in super pain. Her breathing was crazy and she didn't look good. Maybe if it was way smaller of a cut, I'd wait till morning. But no way, not something this big.

And just like the last injury - this happened on a Wednesday night - the perfect time. Because for some reason the emergency clinic that specializes in rabbits nearby only specializes in rabbits every day of the week except Wednesdays. It was about 11:30 when I got in touch with the Emergency Animal Clinic in Southlake/Grapevine, which is about 40-45 mins away. This E-vet is HIGHLY specialized in rabbits, but just so far. The lady says that the office visit is $97, but after midnight, it goes up to $150. So here we are speeding our way there in the pouring rain.

We get there with 5 mins to spare. But she doesn't get looked at till about 12:30. They immediately take her into surgery. She went under for about 45 mins. They shaved her, clipped the wound, cleaned her out, sewed her up, and put her in an e-collar. I maxed out my credit card to pay for it. They wanted to send me home with Metacam, but I still had plenty from the last injury, so I was able to take that off of the cost.

We got home about 3am. I layed down towels in a clean plastic bottom cage. I set up her litterbox, water bottle and even though I didn't think she would eat, I set up a bowl of veggies, pellets and put a nice pile of hay in the corner. She was really groggy last night from the surgery. I wiped the sleepy watery discharge from her eyes and the saliva under her chin. She just laid there and fell asleep immediately.

And last night, my boyfriend and I had the same discussion that we had after the first injury....maybe Hailey should go back to the SPCA. I had contacted them after the last injury about my rabbits that were supposedly this bonded pair, were not getting along. They told me that if it's not working out, that maybe Hailey is just a one-rabbit gal. So she might need to come back to the shelter to find a new home. Well, we didn't take her back. We thought we'd try this bonding thing again after Bailey healed up. That was last time. And now here I am trying to make this decision again.

When I wanted to adopt a rabbit, it was just one. One cage, one litter box, one little bitty rabbit. Then SPCA told me they are a bonded pair, so I'd still have one cage, one litter box, and twice the love. Now I'm faced with having 2 cages, 2 litterboxes, 2 separate scheduled playtimes (which as been a pain), twice the drama and a maxed out credit card. This is not what I wanted. I'm already a petting zoo with a dog, cat, 2 rats, and 2 rabbits in a small rented town home. One less cage would make it seem like less of a zoo. So I feel so freaking awful thinking about it, but if an animal isn't working out, I think I might take her back. We are going to think about it for a little while and decide. It's just so upsetting because Hailey is such a great rabbit. She's affectionate, she loves to play, does the crazy binkies, so happy, has a great personality....she just snaps so unpredictable at Bailey. I'd hate to take her back, and it makes me feel really awful. I feel like this is all my fault and I did something wrong in taking care of them and dealing with their behavior. I just don't know what to do. But I look at Bailey and I don't want this for her. How did I let this happen to her. I'm kicking myself for it....a lot.

Update on her this morning:

I couldn't believe it, but when I went to see her, her bowl of salad was all gone. Perfect poopies were all over her cage. I guess she can't get into the litter box, but that's okay. And there was a pee spot in the corner. She seemed alert this morning, walking around, eating her breakfast. She has a little bit of trouble eating with the cone in her way. The cone pretty much just pushes her veggies out of the bowl. But once she gets a piece of romaine, she lays in her cone and eats off of it like a plate. She's figuring it out. I just keep picking up her veggies and putting them back into her bowl. She had sleepy stuff around her eyes, so I cleaned it up, but she wouldn't let me get under her chin this morning. So I tried to slide a paper towel between her chin and the cone and let it set there for a couple seconds - that's as much as she'll let me do.

I'll try to get pics later this evening. For right now, I'm just trying to get through a day of work with no sleep.

OMG! I don't know if I would trust them being bonded ever :(

:tears2:

This injury is exactly like the one that happened to Fey when I tried bonding her and her sister to another bonded pair. Because of how the wound ran right up to the inside of a hind leg, Ihad to restrict her movements by puttingher in a small cage and not letting her out for two weeks. She was not happy.

Quick tip: heat made her feel better. I was putting an electric heating pad under the plastic cage bottom, and she'd press her belly on it. Now I have a Snuggle Safe, which I like better and can be given directly to the rabbit.

I agree with Bo- bonding is not possible here. Hailey might be ok with another rabbit- they can be very picky about their companions. The bun that ripped Fey open adores her boy bunny. I just don't want her to be labeled as absolutely unbondable at the shelter, as that might decrease her chances of getting adopted.

Is the shelter no-kill for rabbits? If not, I wonder if you can work with them to get Hailey placed in a rescue? I know it must be a painful decision, but I also know how hard it is to have multiple pets in a small space.

:hug:

:( what a nightmare for you all. I also agree this is not a bond I would trust. I came across something similar with two buns that went out from my local RSPCA and we decided (after I consulted with a top rabbit guy over here) that some bonds are just not safe and not meant to work and so sometimes its healthier for the rabbits to be apart, which is where you are now.

If you feel you can't keep Hailey, did you sign a contract when you adopted her saying that you would return her if you couldn't keep her? If you didn't maybe you could try and find her a home yourself? You could check out anyone interested thoroughly, and you might also be able to get updates on her and things. If you wanted to, that is.

I adopted these girls from the Texas SPCA. I'm not sure if they are no-kill or kill when it comes to small animals such as rabbits. But I did sign papers that said the animal would have to be returned to them and no one else.

But perhaps I can talk to them and get a special waiver to go to a rabbit rescue nearby. I'm not sure how strict the SPCA really is. And you're right, I don't want them to label her as unbondable or she is dangerous because she has bitten another animal. I mean they may see her as not adoptable if I tell them what's happened.

It just sucks that I feel like I'm saying "you are worthy of staying here and you are not worthy of staying here." ugh :(

Yeah, definitely see if they'll let you bring her to a rabbit rescue. There are several in Texas, check Petfinder to find them and get their contact info.

Just for record purposes, they might want you to bring her to the SPCA first and then have the rescue take her. The other good thing about rescues is that they usually will help a lot with introducing potential bondmates for adopters.

sharper wrote:
It just sucks that I feel like I'm saying "you are worthy of staying here and you are not worthy of staying here." ugh :(

I wouldn't look at it like that. You can apparently only keep one, right? And you have to choose somehow. You might as well keep the one that's been injured and is currently healing. I'd hate to send Bailey to a shelter/rescue and then say "Oh, by the way she has this ugly wound on her belly that'll need some attention, make sure you take care of that."

You also may have bonded more closely with Bailey because of the extra care she's been needing. That's pretty common. It's not that Hailey isn't worthwhile, just that Bailey needed you more.

Bailey's first afternoon with Da Cone

I got home from work to see that Bailey used her collar as a shovel in the litter box. There was poo all over the bottom of it. Poor thing. I told her it was okay if she didn't want to use the litter box for a while and I'll just work extra hard at keeping her cage clean with changing out blankets and everything.

After getting it off, cleaned up, and back on her, i set her down in the play area with her favorite cardboard boxes. Just incase she wanted to stretch her legs a little.

At first, I got some sad faces:
184343.jpg
184419.jpg

(the area around her eyes feels like they put vaseline over them or put something in her eyes while she was in surgery. I didn't know they did that, but I'm having trouble wiping it off. I dunno what it is)

then she really broke my heart with these:
184432.jpg

184435.jpg

then she started feeling a bit better about being out of the cage
184438.jpg

started creeping closer to check out some cardboard
184325.jpg

184328.jpg

"hmm...can I reach it?"
184332.jpg

"I think I'm stuck..."
184337.jpg

then a couple of mini-binkies were a big surprise to me
184348.jpg

"mom, i want this off"
184413.jpg

i can't tell if this is a sweet beg look or a stink eye look.
184409.jpg

But the best part for her was all of the luvins she got
184417.jpg

Or was it the cool piece of cardboard that she found?
184424.jpg
184426.jpg

(I know the way to her heart is through cardboard, and nothing else. lol)

And now I get to see her stitches for the first time since the craziness last night. I think last night I just imagined it so big and made it out bigger than what it was. I really thought it went up her belly or her side. But really it's her inner thigh area, but still in the shape of a "Y" pretty close to her last injury that is now healed. I'm sure my freaking out last night really put an image in my brain that she was all sliced up head to toe. I'm glad to see now it's smaller than what I thought. And it seems like the vet did a great job.
184441.jpg

184430.jpg

Have to take pictures of what costed me $300, right?

What a sweet little girl! Does she have to wear the e-collar? Fey didn't bother hers. Maybe call your regular vet and ask. When they're wearing an e-collar they can't eat their cecals (unless she'll eat them from your hand).

You all are in my thoughts right now. I think you are a great bunny's mom. Look at how good you are taking care of Bailey.

I have heard rabbit bites can be that bad but I am amazed at how big her cut is. Bunny's have suck little mouths.

When my buny had surgery she has the vaseline look to her eyes too. I am not sure what it is but it usualy lasts a few days and I could never get it off either.

Keep up the good work taking care of your little girl. And good luck with the decisions you have to make over the next few days.

she's eating her cecal pellets out of my hand - YAY! what a relief

Hi, sorry Bailey is having such a bad time poor thing. Do you think that Hailey could be in a pen next to Bailey?Or do you already have it set up that way. I had my two side by side in their pens, and they could see each other and sniff each other. It took nine months and with supervised visits to get them in the same area with each other.I HAVE a very small apt. and it isn't easy, but it worked for us. There is the North Texas Rabbit Sanctuary in Garland, their phone number is 214-205-1881, if you would like to call and speak to them about possible placement for one or the other. It seems such a shame to have to go to that choice. But, they are very helpful. Maybe you could ask the SPCA if they would sanction release to NTRS of one of your buns. And I know what you mean about the emergency vets. I live over here on the Dallas/Mesquite/Garland border and there are no rabbit savvy vets over here but have to go at least 30-40 miles across the county. Most are in Carrollton, Southlake or Plano. Good luck with her recovery. Carla.

sharper wrote:

You are a great bunny mom. A bad bunny mom wouldn't hold cecal pellets in her hand! and wouldn't be concerned about what happened to the other bun.

You are doing a terrific job specailly withthe circumstances that have happened. I hope everything works out.

Dave

I'm sorry you are all going through this. I know how hard it is when bunnies don't bond, and end up fighting. Pernod had 2 vet visits for stitches as well, and now Shadow and Jester want to fight all the time.

You are doing a great job of taking care of Bailey - and she looks so cute. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jan

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
sharper wrote:

You are a great bunny mom.  A bad bunny mom wouldn't hold cecal pellets in her hand! and wouldn't be concerned about what happened to the other bun.

You are doing a terrific job specailly with the circumstances that have happened.  I hope everything works out.

Dave

well the first time i picked them up, I hesitated. I touched it and was like Eewwww. But she was like Mmmmmm Nummy! lol ew ew ew ew But after holding the 4th one I found, I got over it. :)
All the others were mushed into her blanket, and i wasn't touching that. lol

I'm so glad you've figured out a way to get her the cecals. Bunnies get so depressed while wearing E collars, and not being able to eat cecals is a big part of it. You got a good answer to the eye goop question.

I would be a bit concerned that metacam isn't strong enough a pain med for this type of injury. She might need tramadol or buprenex in addition. Of course, if she's acting ok, she doesn't need more pain meds.

As for whether or not these two will ever get along, it's hard to say. Were they considered a bonded pair before they were spayed? That could be a factor in their unbonding. I agree that it sounds like they may not ever get along, considering the intensity of the attacks. You are doing it right--only gradually giving them time alone without supervision--so don't worry about that. I'm sure that the HSPCA would understand that they are not a bonded pair. It is of course a very difficult decision.

Good luck, and I hope this one heals well. You're doing such a good job. I think that vet insurance is in order if you decide to keep attempting to bond these two, so that you don't have to deal with huge expenses as much.

I am so sorry for you and the bunn.hope she gets better soon!

Latest posts

Back