Roommate allergic?!?!? :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshmello

Reaction score
I have been living with the same 4 roommates for about 5 months now and about three weeks ago my roommate (who has asthma) started wheezing in the middle of the night! She's blaming my poor bun for her wheezing and is forcing me to take the rabbit back to my parents house, we're not allowed to have pets in our appartment complex so she can get me in alot of trouble. I'm just confused because when I first brought the rabbit she was completely fine, she'd even make comments like "I don't even nottice she's here". Is it possible that her allergies are due to the time of the year?

Probably the time of year or has bunny started multing? Did you change types of hay? I have extreem hay fever and depending on the hay I use, I go into a hay fever attack. Maybe use place a air purifier by bunnies cage???? Will she reconsider and try to see if you can resolve it? maybe taking bunny out of the apartment just for a few days and do a thourough cleaning. If she continues to have the same symtoms, you will know it is not your bunners.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you and your bunners.

Hi, I have allergies to so many things supposedly including Bunnies, I'm on 3 different puffers and pills 2 pills too.

Honestly I really don't think my bunnies are the problem as I had them before we got Buttercup. My allergies are very bad right now because of all the pollen out there. I heard on the weather net work, it's a very bad spring for allergies.

Tell you roommate to go get some allergy pills and to quit complaining. LOL

Does your roommate smoke? I did for many many years. It's been 19 months since I quit, that sure helped the asthma.

Good Luck

Susan:)

Allergies are really bad in general right now with all of the pollen, so it might not be the bunnies.

Also, plenty of people are far more allergic to the hay than the rabbits (DH falls into this group). If you could try keeping the hay more contained and making sure the dust doesn't spread to any other part of the house, that could help.

Great idea!I will sneak her to my parents house this weekend! I'm sure after a couple of weeks if she's still wheezing then she'll confront me and I'll know forsure it's not my bun!

Hard to say. We adopted out a couple of our buns and took them back because of allergies. I have mega allergies and asthma, but I'm not allergic to the bunnies. I do have to wear surgical gloves and an industrial dust mask when handling the hay. Also there are 3 times during the year that I am more sensitive as there is more stuff in the air. May just be allergies have gone hyper.

She actually does not eat hay. I've tried giving it to her many types but she just throws it out of her cage! But I make sure to give her food that has hay in it :). My parents came up this weekend and secretly took marshmello with them. I'm sure if she's still having the attacks then after another week or two she's going to confront me about getting the rabbit out of the appartment (not knowing about my experiment hehehe:p), my question is.. how long should I wait before revealing this information to her? One week? Two weeks? And also, what should I say?

without a thorough cleaning of everywhere the bun has been, there could still be hair and dander for her to react to.

If you're going to do that, I think you should vacuum your room and get rid of any fur and stuff. As dainerra said, there's still probably some hanging around.

Latest posts

Back