Rogue Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguinsrxcore

Reaction score
I have a 5 month old Lionhead doe. She grunts anytime anyone tries to touch her cage. I'm an experienced rabbit owner and I've never encountered this! She's out of control! She scratches at everyone but never bits. I want to further understand this problem. Someone help!! Please:nerves1

apologies if you've already done this (and you probably have!) but have you checked her out for any injuries? especially if this is a recent development?:biggrin2:

no she has not. I was planning on breeding her soon and no she doesn't have any injuries. She's been like this since I brought her home.

Yep, it could just be hormones coming on, but it could also be her feeling ill. Make sure she's eating and pooping, and not hurt in any way. If those aren't the cause, it's probably just hormones as many bunnies go into puberty at 5-7mo and this can cause them to be very cage aggressive, especially does. If you want her as a pet and not as breeder, spaying is probably necessary.

has she now become a single bunny? has her housing recently belonged to somebun else?, she sounds very territorial:D

please imagine the above spoken in a friendly tone! sometimes think that my typewritten tone is so cold LOL

If you intend to breed her, have you done thorough research on breeding? About things like complications? What the kits and mum need? Have you got a good buck? Do you know her genetic history? Are you financially prepared and able to cope if anything arises? Are you also aware that if complications arise during kindling then you could lose her (something I always say, because it happened to me; I lost two of mine).

To curve her aggressive behaviour a spay should help, however, if you are intending to breed her, be aware her aggression could get worse.

Any time Anyone asks about aggression, I say sit near the rabbits hutch and talk softly to them, This worked with my aggressive female lionhead, We are now best friends!

Flashy wrote:
If you intend to breed her, have you done thorough research on breeding? About things like complications? What the kits and mum need? Have you got a good buck? Do you know her genetic history? Are you financially prepared and able to cope if anything arises? Are you also aware that if complications arise during kindling then you could lose her (something I always say, because it happened to me; I lost two of mine).

To curve her aggressive behaviour a spay should help, however, if you are intending to breed her, be aware her aggression could get worse.

She has great lineage and the daddy has great lineage as well. I'm not planning to breed her for a month or two because I am moving from an apartment to a house and I want them both to adjust and get comfortable. I'm working on becoming more knowledgeable about breeding. Tips are welcome. I do know that they have to be kept separate due to rabbits having two uterus's.

paul2641 wrote:
Any time Anyone asks about aggression, I say sit near the rabbits hutch and talk softly to them, This worked with my aggressive female lionhead, We are now best friends!

Her hutch is elevated at the end of my bed and I hold conversations with her all the time hehe I'm trying really hard to be bffs with her :-(

hartleybun wrote:
has she now become a single bunny?  has her housing recently belonged to somebun else?, she sounds very territorial:D 

please imagine the above spoken in a friendly tone! sometimes think that my typewritten tone is so cold LOL

Besides leaving her litter in December that's the only bunny to bunny contact she has had so I looked into finding her a mate. I found a beautiful male Lionhead and I'm planning on them having side by side cages to maybe curve her anger. We'll see about that I suppose.

I would think that having him near would actually make her MORE territorial. If you mate them then ideally they shoudn't be too near each other because she will feel threatened by his presence.

I would suggest you post in the Rabbitry if you want info about breeding, because they have a vast knowledge there and should be able to help you more.

Well today, for the first time ever, Pepper lashed out and bit me. Her and Tai were together and all the sudden she started to smother him. He started having one of his 'episodes' fainting and everything so I grabbed him and cradled him for a minute. I reached in the cage to pick her up and put her in her cage and she pinned her ears back and bit into my hand hard! I'm in a lot of pain. I don't understand why she got territorial in his cage.

2mmwifr.jpg

I don't have any advice but when I saw that picture, Ouch that looks like that hurt. I hope you are able to figure something out.

Amy27 wrote:
I don't have any advice but when I saw that picture, Ouch that looks like that hurt. I hope you are able to figure something out.

Yeah I'm no sissy! It's pretty deep! I'm trying to figure it all out. In the mean time I'm getting her fixed.

Latest posts

Back