Roger

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygrl2k3

Reaction score
I was playing with Roger yesterday and whilepetting him,I noticed he had a small sore on the back of his neck. So i put some neosporin on it. He was sitting so nicely in between my legs. Then the kitty comes up and licks him and tried to bite him. He didn't even move. It didn't break the skin. I think the kitty was jealous.

Well anyways, his feet look good and growing back fur butai think somoene one mentioned possible mites or something. He is all white mostly. Is there anything i should be able to see? Is there something i can treat him with for mites over the counter. I do notice he itches himself alot more than luv would. Should i treat Luv too? The cages aren't near each other. Trying to figure out a way to rearrange the living room so they can be near. They have been together and watched and so i am not sure if the spot could be a bite. I don't think so cause mostly they ignore each other and when they do touch they usually are pushing their faces more into the back of the other one.

Cristy

Hi Cristy,

You could try a dose of Ivermectin 1.87 (which is a horse worming pastepurchased from a feed store or a Tractor Supply Company store), only apea-sized drop, that would get rid of any mites orpests.Repeatdosage in 2weeks. If it's fleas, you can use a kitten fleapowder as Ivermectin doesn't rid adult-stage fleas. Mites canalso look as if it's dandruff.

I would treat both rabbits, if you are noticing a dandruff, or a lot ofscratching. Can't hurt. I'd clean up all toys,etc., as well to rid of any place the bugs could be hiding.

-Carolyn

Thanks for the information. Before you replied idid a search and read somewhere mineral oil works. Afterpaying a pet deposit of olmost 300 i dont have much money thisweek. Could i do the mineral oil and then get the otherstuff. Or is the mineral oil more for ear mites? Looks likelife with Roger is going to be intresting. I need to start upa little savings for stuff like this with my bunnies.

Cristy

Mineral oil does work, but it's messy.If it's mites, the mineral oil will clog the pores and the mites willsuffocate. If it's fleas, there aren'tguarantees.Then again, the kitten flea powder can help withthe fleas anyway. (The Ivermectin can be purchased for about$10-12, so it's not terribly expensive, but I certainly can understandyou keeping the bills down.A few dollar saved here and therecan really add up.) Listerine is known to work aswell.

-Carolyn

In the case of fur mites, which you suspect here,I would recommend dousing the area liberally with Listerine mouth washso that the skin gets wet in thearea. Have youchecked the tail area, where it attaches to the bum. Mitesoften collect there as well. I believe they prefer tender,thinly skinned areas. Listerine is inexpensive enough and isnot as messy as mineral oil would be if used externally.

Repeat process within 10-14 days to eradicate any mites that have beennewly hatched since the first application, which will not neutralizeany nits(eggs). Some administer yet again another treatmentin another 10-14 days to insure complete elimination.

The cost of the horse worming paste in in the neighborhood of $10.00 -$20.00, depending upon where you buy it from. It is the same,so paying more doesn't imply you're getting a better product.One tube is commonly used to treat one 1200 lb horse, so it would lastfor many,many rabbit treatments. It doesn't go bad, as far asI know, so it is not like you are throwing away money needlessly.

A source on rabbit husbandry that I trust implicitly, one Mr. Rick Stahl, has stated:

"Mites wont live long on solid non-living surfaces. If cagesare all metal, with no 'organic' material attached, themiters will have moved on to their reward. I don't scrub mycages, even when active mite case is found. I treateverybody, leaving niowhere[sic] for mites to find sustenance, thenrepeat treatment in 2 weeks, to kill any that may have hatched afterthe last dose left the bloodstream."

RabbitWeb7/27/03

Obviously, Carolyn and I are thinking along the samelines.

Buck

Roger and Luv have had a very fun filled day ofhaving extra time to run around. I have found out that Roger likes torun Luv out from the area behind his home. Its cute. So she got revengeand pee'd in his area.

I have checked Roger over and all i can find on him is a few blackspecks, really thin and about the length wise of a grain ofsalt. When you mention listerine. Would i beputting it just on the spot that is being bothered or all over hisskin? When treatment is easier on thebunny. It would be friday before i could get theother medicene mentioned. Thanks for all the help.

Cristy

Hi Cristy,

The person who told me about the listerine said that she sprays it onher rabbits each day and then puts olive oil on the bald spots and earsor where the skin is really irritated. There aren't anyguarantees that this will keep them away. The best thing forkeeping them away is the Ivermectin, as far asI can tell, butI've also heard that feeding them rosemary works wonders.Must feed them rosemary daily, and you can put a drop of rosemary oilin between their shoulder blades. (You should also spray thecage down each day with listerine.)

-Carolyn

Thanks for all the help. Will get the medicenefriday when i get paid. Going to try and set aside money forthis stuff for any future problems.We just paid olmost 300 sowe dont lose our cats like we lost the dogs. We moved so wewouldnt be struggling with money but starting off is still a littlerough since we moved without a car either. They all broke down paidbefore out move. I feel dumb asking for advice when i cantfollow it yet. Its just better at least i know what to get when fridaygets here. The animal shelter just called to checkup on him. Thats cool that they did that. I was a littleworried they were going to tell me about another bunny. As much as ilove bunnies there just isnt anymore room.

So friday will get the medicene and the listerine and a spray bottleand his house should smell minty fresh, and will do luvs cage too, justin case he shared. Its always nice to share. :)

Cristy

Carolyn wrote:
Must feed them rosemary daily, and you can put adrop of rosemary oil in between their shoulder blades. (Youshould also spray the cage down each day with listerine.)

-Carolyn

I read about the rosemary chasing away fleas. This guy called VanLeeouwenhock.....darn, I can't spell it! DON'T quote that spelling!!hehe Anyway he studied fleas a couple hundred years ago when gentlemenwore those wigs. You guessed it--fleas in the wigs! He was looking fora solution and came up with some combination of powdered rosemary,garlic powder, and a bunch of other herbs. He tested it on hisYorkshire terrier andgot rid of HIS fleas as well as the wigones.

I'll see if I can find the oil. It's safe, right? I haven't heard anything bad for rabbits.

Rose

Rose, the breeder I heard it from swears by rosemary and its effectiveness.

-Carolyn

P.S. Yes, it's safe.

Dont mean to sound like a dummy here!! But is Rosemary a plant i can go get? or a herb? Sorry i dont have a clue.

Cristy

So do i need to go to a greenhouse to get theactul plant?? I am just trying to be prepapred on where and what i needto buy on payday so i can take care of his problem.

Cristy

Hi Cristy,

You can try a garden center. Some of them sell herbs andsince rosemary is fairly a common one, you should have someluck. Regardless, you can get it from the grocerystore. As to the Rosemary Oil, any health supply store orpossibly CVS may have it.

It's not a stupid question, so don't worry about it.

-Carolyn

haha kinda feel like i am a pest about thisstuff. Someone might just strangle me before its over. just kidding. Isure wish everyone could see the famous Roger. I had a friend try topost a picture and trying to get my husband to do it but all i get istomorrow tomorrow. thanks again.

Cristy

You're not a bother at all, Cristy.

Guaranteed that others have the same questions and this is how I learn too.

-Carolyn

ok made a list of what i need to get tomorrowsince its payday. Now do i get the Ivermectin 1.87 and feedthem rosemary or just do one or the other? I dont want to overdo it.

Thanks,

Cristy

I'd go with the Ivermectin 1.87%,Cristy. It's very good at killing parasites, and the rosemaryoil will run you closer to $10 anyway with no guarantees. TheIvermectin, and the kitten flea powder would take care of everythingthat is ailing your little mon.

How's he doing? Is he coming out of his shell more?

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back