Robbie not drinking :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhatTheRAWR

Reaction score
On Tuesday Morning we cleaned Robbie's hutch, gave him a bowl full of food, another bowl full of carrots and two medium sized water bottles full of fresh water because we were going on a short 2 night holiday. He was happy and completely willing to be stroked, as normal so we left him with his food confident that everything would be fine.

When we arrived back I was shocked to see that Robbie hadnot drank a drop of water. He had ate all but two of his carrots, all his romaine lettuce and most of his dry food mix. He normally eats a little bit of hutch hay too so he must have ate some of that. His eyes are looking a little bit of a darker pink than normal and he is reluctant to be touched by anyone. He's alwaysa little feisty fellow, buthe's not been like that for a while now (about3 years).The fur around his eyes is a bit shorter too.

I know rabbits get moisture from veg but I'm concerned and I need a little resurance. My dad says he's fine but I don't know if he needs to see a vet or not.

Thanks. :?:(:pray:

Keep an eye on his pooping and peeing, but as long as it looks normal and everything, and he keeps eating, I wouldn't consider it a problem.

YappleDapple wrote:
you could try a few drops of cranberry juice (concentrate) in his water to help entice him to drink...
Make sure you also provide an additionalsource of plain water if you chose to do this.

The fact that he's eating is a good indication.
In my experiences,a bun that is dehydrated tends to eat less.

Thanks so much everyone for the advice.
Quick update; This morning Robbie has had at least one third of his waterbottle over night and he's eating as usual.
He's still a little skittish around me and around his eyes still look an irritated shade of pink. Around his eyes he's lost some fur as well. There's no discharge but is this a blocked tear duct or something??

Thanks again :)

Blocked tear ducts are usually indicated by runny eye(s).

Dehydration can cause the eye(s) appearance to change. They may become dull and sunken. The fur tends to lay differently, and there's less lubrication for the eye.

I would closely monitor his water intake over the next couple of days.
Watch for other signs of dehydration such as;stronger urine odors than normal, less urine output, sagging or pale ears, sunken eyes, and plastic like skin, fever.

The only other thing that I'm aware of that would cause fur loss around the eyes (without being runny eyes)is mites.
A vet would need to confirm this condition in a rabbit.

:pray:

Yesterday when we were cleaning the hutch, Robbie had thrown up a little bit. He seems to be much better, his eating is normal and he's drinking again.

When we went on holiday, We'd put another new bottle next to old one. Could this have made him not want to drink??

I dont think robbie threw up as rabbits don't physically have the ability to throw up. I dont know what it would be. What did it look like? If it was brown it could be diaarhea. If it wasnt poo or pee then I would take him to the vet.

:yeahthat:

It's true that rabbits can't vomit.

So it had to be poop or pee.

Dehydration can affect both.

Urine can get thicker and change color.
And without enough fluids, his system may have produced more mucous to help pass poops.

Robbie didn't drink for two days, so I'm guessing that his system is reacting to dehydration.....even though he seems normal now.

Keep a close eye on him and consider a vet visit if necessary.

Latest posts

Back