Roaches!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagPie

Reaction score
One of my neighbors spotted some roaches in their apartment so now my apartment building is getting treated to prevent an invasion. Now the hand out they gave me said the apartment needs to empty for at least two hours after they spray. However I of course worry about Harvey if that two hours is going to be enough, and for the cats. I've had my apartment sprayed for bed bugs by the same people and there were no smells or fumes after everything dried.

Anyone have experience with this? Should I keep Harvey at the vets a little bit longer or would the two hours be ok? I worry keeping him at the vets longer because he just got over gi stasis and I want to try and stress him out as little as possible.

Aaaaah I really probably just need to talk to the pest people on Monday. My apartment manager could not give me many details.

we had an ant problem last year and the timing just worked out that I left Tippy with a colleague for about 4 hours. I think it would have been fine to bring her back after 2, but I always lean towards overprotective.

Ooooh yeah me too. Especially after this gi stasis thing. Poor guy had a rough week. I'd really hate to move him right now. But it needs to be done. I don't want to get roaches.

Our building has roaches and put out the powder before in peoples apartments but has never done a full spraying.
We're moving soon because of it, but roaches really aren't so bad if you keep the lights on :p At least they don't bite.

daisyandoliver wrote:
I've never had a roach problem; but I do have two pet Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches, lol. I agree with Q-Tip, I learn towards overprotective too.

Shudders. Pets? I can't even look at them at the exhibit at the zoo!!!! And there was a Fear Factor episode several years ago where the contestants had to eat them.
I'm still scarred.......

Aha! I like them I find them cool and you can hold them and they just climb all over you.. Their really easy to keep alive too. Lmao. But I know my friend in Florida had an infestation of roaches and they ate like everything in their house and were destroying their house basically. So in big numbers they are bad. :(

Yeah I haven't seen any in my apartment, I think the cats help. From what I've been told the neighbor only seen a few so they want to take care of it now with the whole building so it doesn't get bad.

I'm fine with bugs if they leave me alone haha.

Augh it happens tomorrow. If it does become a problem I might just have to move. One neighbor had bed bugs a couple years back.

Get roach traps from your local home depot. If you move, you will need to get the traps so that they don't infest your next place as they do travel. They travel in the boxes and things.

Ooooh good idea Marsha I'll remember that. Probably be a good idea just in case, well once the spray wears off. They don't want us to kill them since they bring back the poison to the colony. Of course I'l glad I've never seen any. Nor did I see the bed bugs, it's just a pain to deal with.

Jennifer I couldn't agree more haha.

there's only one thing in the world that I'm truly, irrationally TERRIFIED of and it's roaches. I'm even afraid of dead ones. I grew up in new orleans and the sewer roaches are horrible - we learned to always put the cups and bowls and stuff in the cabinets facing down, or else you could find a horrific dead surprise. to this day, I'm still afraid of the back of cabinets where it's dark. I was petrified of the attic and wouldn't go near the entrance when my parents were taking out christmas decorations 'cause those little jerks lived up there. one day when I was probably like 7 or something, I was going to go pee in the downstairs bathroom and I happened to glance in the toilet bowl first and ran out of the bathroom screaming bloody murder because there was a (live) ROACH on the inside of the bowl (above the water line). to this day, I never sit on a toilet without first looking around the inside of the bowl.

san antonio has less roaches (or at least a lot less that make it into the house - I won't go in the back yard at night because of them), but we have TREE roaches here, which are massive compared to sewer roaches - some are like 3'' long. the worst part is, they f-ing FLY!!

I keep cans of raid strategically placed around the house so that I'm never more than 15-20 feet from one... I've yet to figure out how the hell I'm going to handle it if one is ever near the animals, though, 'cause obviously I can't spray raid anywhere near them. I had to train myself to be able to suffer the ordeal of vacuuming up corpses since I live alone and can't make someone else do it.

the worst was when my bathtub drain clogged and I was gonna deal with it in the morning... the tub had a few inches of water in it. one of those little *mutters a bad word* GOT INTO THE TUB AND DIED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WATER. the ONE freaking place in the whole house where the vacuum can't go. I ended up buying a cheap wet/dry vac at home depot (which ended up being pretty handy once I got the bunnies :p). I was so p*ssed off at that wretched thing for having the audacity to come into MY HOME and die in my bath tub.

You're welcome Magpie. I use the roach traps and I haven't had a roach problem since I moved into my apartment at Erlands Point Apartments. Of course I don't think they ever had a roach problem but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Imbrium wrote:
there's only one thing in the world that I'm truly, irrationally TERRIFIED of and it's roaches. I'm even afraid of dead ones. I grew up in new orleans and the sewer roaches are horrible - we learned to always put the cups and bowls and stuff in the cabinets facing down, or else you could find a horrific dead surprise. to this day, I'm still afraid of the back of cabinets where it's dark. I was petrified of the attic and wouldn't go near the entrance when my parents were taking out christmas decorations 'cause those little jerks lived up there. one day when I was probably like 7 or something, I was going to go pee in the downstairs bathroom and I happened to glance in the toilet bowl first and ran out of the bathroom screaming bloody murder because there was a (live) ROACH on the inside of the bowl (above the water line). to this day, I never sit on a toilet without first looking around the inside of the bowl.

san antonio has less roaches (or at least a lot less that make it into the house - I won't go in the back yard at night because of them), but we have TREE roaches here, which are massive compared to sewer roaches - some are like 3'' long. the worst part is, they f-ing FLY!!

I keep cans of raid strategically placed around the house so that I'm never more than 15-20 feet from one... I've yet to figure out how the hell I'm going to handle it if one is ever near the animals, though, 'cause obviously I can't spray raid anywhere near them. I had to train myself to be able to suffer the ordeal of vacuuming up corpses since I live alone and can't make someone else do it.

the worst was when my bathtub drain clogged and I was gonna deal with it in the morning... the tub had a few inches of water in it. one of those little *mutters a bad word* GOT INTO THE TUB AND DIED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WATER. the ONE freaking place in the whole house where the vacuum can't go. I ended up buying a cheap wet/dry vac at home depot (which ended up being pretty handy once I got the bunnies :p). I was so p*ssed off at that wretched thing for having the audacity to come into MY HOME and die in my bath tub.
I laughed hysterically at this and then read it to my dad who was asking what the hell I was laughing at. LMAO!
Thankfully I've never seen a roach in my house or near it, even though we live in the woods in an old farm out. I have chickens, so I think they keep them away. (My chickens also go into the neighborhood that is behind my house, so they can thank me for no roaches at their house too!)

Emily, you should get some chickens to put in a little pen outside your apartment complex! Roach traps would probably be good too, I always get paranoid about spraying. But when I lived in the city, we had monthly sprayings and my cats/dogs never suffered any ill effects.

my kitty used to keep roaches at bay. she somehow just KNEW that roaches were gross and needed to die. other bugs, she ignored... but roaches were dispatched promptly and she *never* played with her kills.

there was one time that I was going to the bathroom at night and as I reached out to flip the light switch, the cat came TEARING out of nowhere and flew between my legs into the bathroom. when I flipped the switch a second later, there was a freshly-killed (still twitching... eww!) roach on the floor and the cat was exiting the bathroom. it's like she was defending me from it :D

I have three cats and still have a problem with them. >_< They get into all the spots the cats can't get into like closets we keep secure and under cabinets.

Back