Risks of anesthesia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSXinger

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Last week we took Emma to the vet to have her molars trimmed (at her check-up the doctor noticed they were too pointy and could lead to a problem - her past diet [pre-adoption] apparently had not been the best).

I was nervous about the procedure because I knew they had to anesthetize her, but they assured me that most bunnies are fine afterwards.

Well, Emma was most definitely NOT fine. She stopped eating and pooping. She wouldn't even take her papaya snack, and normally she practically runs us over to get to it! Emma loves racing around the living room and jumping up on the couch with us - but all she wanted to do was sit in her house, or lay in the corner, and I even saw her lay down in her litter box, which she has NEVER done.

We took her back to the vet the morning after the procedure and they kept her for the day, gave her metaclopram (I think that's what it was called!) injections and fluids and massaged her tummy. We took her home that night, and she still wasn't eating and had only a few droppings in her litterbox. So we brought her in again the NEXT morning.

At this point, Emma was so stressed from traveling to the vet. So they gave us medicine and Critical Care so that we could syringe-feed her ourselves.

We did this for several days, trying to get as much into her as we could, and gradually she started putting up more and more of a fuss until it was impossible to get anything into her (she has to be wrapped in a blanket bunny-burrito style; she won't stay still for anything less). At that point she had started eating again and was starting to jump around a bit more.

Finally, after about five days, Emma was eating all her normal foods again and running and jumping and chewing on things as much as ever. She still wasn't pooping much though; however, the vet told us that a naughty bunny is a healthy bunny, and that her system might take a while to get back to normal.

Well, I'm happy to report that she is back to normal now (if anything, she seems to be making up for lost time!).

However, this whole experience has made me really nervous about her ever undergoing any type of procedure ever again. I know she needed it to stay healthy, but what I was wondering is, how many of you have also had issues with anesthesia and your rabbits? Are these issues severe enough to seriously consider avoiding its use in the future at all costs?

Here are some pictures of our beautiful Emma:

Emmastanding.jpg

Standing on the couch...

Emmashat.jpg

Wearing the tiny hat I knitted (it didn't start out as a rabbit hat, I promise!)

transferred5909032.jpg

Playing with some yarn...

transferred5909015.jpg

Sitting quietly...

transferred5909021.jpg

Playing with her wicker ball...

She is really a cute girl

I am wondering whether these problems were actually the result of the anesthesia alone or the result of the anesthesia and the procedure.
if a vet has done a lot of rabbit proceduresusing the correct anesthesia... and the rabbit doesn't have other medical issues the anesthesia is usually not an issue at all.

I actually go to a animal dentist and my rabbit has had multiple extrations, filing, etc done and anesthesaia is not an issue whatsoever however this man is extremely skilled.

Over on the other side of my state we have a few forum memebers who have molar trims done on their rabbits by the vet, not a dentist, and the anesthesia (as far as I can remember has not been an issue.

The issues could be multiple.
Possibly the vet is not using the appropriate anesthesia for a bun . I believe the most successful and newest anesthesia is isoflurane given by injection. There is a reversal drug used if the anesthesia appears to be having negative effects on the bun. My dentist uses gas per mask which means that he is able to totally control the amount by merely removing the mask when needed. I had thought that this was the safest method but learned from our resident expert (ra7751, Randy) that the first approach of injectable with a reversible agent available is best.
if your vet blamed your bunny's problems on the anesthesia then it is time to find a new vet.

The other issue here is the molar grind itself. Some vets say that they know how to do this but actually have very little experience and may not even be doing it correctly. If it is not done correctly it could very well cause the rabbit a lot of mouth discomfort.Many rabbits undergoing molar grinds do not eat normally for several days post procedure and may need coaxing, favorite food or soft food. even if the procedure is done correctly.

Pain meds
Did your vet give you rabbit anything for pain. ? if not then this could have added to the problem causing your bun to be uncomfortable eating .
it would be normal for a bun undergoing a dental procedure to be groggy and sleepy the first day but it is not normal the 2nd day although the bun may need some assistance with the types of food he is offered.

maybe you can give even more info to us

but at this stage

I think you need to find a new vet (and we can help you with that )

Hi RSX;

Emma is adorable!:inlove:

I just had my Pepin in for molar spurs and to draw some blood and I got a list of possible complications from anesthesia that I was asked to read and sign. Lack of appetite after anesthesia was way up at the top of that list. What you are describing is exactly what I was told to watch for once I got her home. You've got the stress from the travel, the strange environment, the anesthesia, etc. - it's no wonder their appetite gets messed up.

It's imperative to let any future vets know that Emma had a slow recovery from anesthetic in the past. The clinic should make arrangements with you to keep bunny with them for a day to be sure she is hydrated and has eaten before they let her go home.

It's also possible that Emma could fly through the next dose of anesthesia with no problem at all. I have a kitty who gets her teeth cleaned every 4 years or so - one time she needed 24 hour supervision to be sure she kept breathing after the anesthetic and then I had to syringe feed her for a week - :pullhair: - and the next time - no problems at all......so it's not a given this will always happen!

I know it's scary, but in my opinion, the benefits of these procedures as far as avoiding even WORSE health situations outweighs the potential for these kids of aftereffects.

What a doll-baby!

I agree that it may have been tooth pain as well. It could have been a mis-dosing of the anesthetic as well. It's important to have blood work done prior to anesthesia to determine how well the kidneys and liver are functioning. If they're a little bit off, the dose can be all wrong.

I hope that after this trim, and with a better new diet, she won't have to have any more trims, but it may be good to check out other vets in your area as well.

Oh look how LOVELY! She's gorgeous :D

I have several buns that need molar spur burring and they all react differently. Most seem to bounce back and eat by the next morning, some even that night. I have one recently though who took a good few days to start eating. I chose not to go back to the vet though because knowing my bunny (Dusk), I knew that would make things worse, so having got a good stock of rabbit first aid stuff at home, I took the risk and I dealt with it at home. He did have some force feeding, but mainly he was stressed by the whole experience, which was where I knew, for him, taking him back to the vets would be detrimental.

Recently he had to have them done for the second time. I had a long talk with my vet about how Dusk reacted last time and he said they would use less anaesthetic this time because maybe Dusk had reacted far more to it than the others. This time, Dusk was back to normal and eating within 12 hours. I was amazed!

I would suggest having a chat with a good rabbit savvy vet if the spurs occur again, because you may find they can make adjustments. you may also find that with the support of the forum you can find an easier way through that time after the operation too.

I really feel for you, its so scary when you are faced with a situation like that. I certainly hope it doesn't arise again.

Yes, the vet did give her pain medication, but not for two days. They initially had said she didn't seem to be in pain, and I agreed, but then one of the days we took her back we saw someone else because the other technician wasn't there, and she said she did think Emma was uncomfortable. So she was on pain medicine for about three days, and after that was when she seemed to be bouncing back.

the vet should have known that all rabbits hide pain because they are prey animals. They will hide any physical problem until it is at its worst because they are throwbacks to awild rabbit who would be viewed by a predator as an 'easy kill" if he showed weakness.
A rabbit vet should know that

I don't think molar spurs need anesthesia per se, a sedative will do just fine. My vet uses Domitor to put Pipp under and another drug to bring her back out of it. I was terrified re: putting her under so I did a lot of research before hand and picked the vet based on the sedative.

Her first time was pretty bad, the dental brace I think stretched her widdle bitty mouth way too much, and she reacted badly for days. (She really is quite the wimp, mind you. She folds with just one tiny spur, and I might as well be poking her with hot sodder when I pull loose hair tufts from her butt). :rollseyes

Pain meds really are the key.

sas :bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back