Ripped Out Claw =Sore Paw

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
A couple of days ago at the vets,my bunny boy Guy was subjected to the trauma of the worst rabbit nail clipping I have ever seen. It resulted in one of his claws being torn right out :X

It didn't bleed very much at the time, but I get the impression it's still sore because Guy is not as lively as usual. Good in spirit but he won't for example try to hump my hand, presumably because of the weight he would have to put on his paw. While I don't miss that activity lol, knowing the reason its not happening bothers me. When should Guy be recovered? Are there any signs of continuing trouble I should look out for?

Jo xx

poor bunny! nail clipping is traumatic enough without it going so wrong. roxy has torn a claw out before whilst 'gardening':rollseyes luckily my vets are very bunny and were happy advise over the phone. as roxy is a free range bun she had to stay in the bunnery for a couple of days - no roaming in her garden. she cleaned it herself and i kept a close eye on it. luckily it didnt get infected but she wouldnt put any weight on that paw for a couple of days. when she did she 'limped' slightly.

roxy didnt bleed much and i only noticed when she stopped gardening and began licking her paw.
:)

Aw, poor Roxy after getting over-zealous with her gardening :bunnyhug:

It was the vet surgery's nurse who did the terrible job. Will be requesting that one of the vets does it next time OR my Dad and I will do the job between us at home.

Think Ebony's claws will need clipping soon.

Jo xx

:shock:i would have thought the nurse would have been more competant:shock: luckily the ones where i go have had bunnies themselves at one time. in fact all bases are covered by someone in the practice:)

there's a great tutorial in the library section of the forum on how to clip nails. my rexes have dark nails - not easy to see - so i strap on hubby's headlamp torch. makes me look likea dalek or miner but it's a white light and leaves my hands free.

roxy doesnt do much gardening after we found the hidden entrance to the tunnel - hidden in the lavender bush. we thought the lawn sounded hollow when we walked on it:p

Ooh er, that's scary. Poor Guy.

Have you given any Metacam or anything? Is it definitely that the nail was ripped out and not the toe itslf injured in any way?

Definitely needs to be confined to his cage for a couple of days, and only given limited exercise after that for up to a couple weeks. Metacam would help too.

I will see how he is hopping tonight. If he looks at all uncomfortable, I'll enquire with the vet about some pain releif for him. I saw the ripped nail, but will try to get a look at his toe also.

Jo xx

Latest posts

Back