Ripley is getting neutered. *Ahhh!*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was scared when the day came round but amazed how easy it all was and how quickly they recovered. One of mine still honks, I was stroking his head last week and he was honking every time, I´d never heard him do it before but it was kinda cute and I kept doing it cos it was so funny.

Just keep him quiet for a few days as he´ll probably want to be running about on the second or third day and maybe shouldn´t.

My vet also doesn´t do loads of surgeries on bunnies as there aren´t that many pet rabbits over here but I know that he´s been successful on those he has done so I wasn´t that worried. Just need to make sure he keeps eating until the time he goes for his op and that he starts to eat as soon as he comes round. I took down some pellets, hay and a couple of their favourite veggies.

I really appreciate everybody's advice/comments. I'm pretty sure all will be fine, it's just those few cases where they react badly to the anesthesia or something like that that I'm worried about. I'm already stocking up on veggies for post surgery and thinking through the things I want to take for him that day. Knowing that he had presurgical blood run and all was good on there makes me feel a bit better, but I can't help but be anxious for him. I think I'm going to make some videos of him honking before since he'll probably stop. I hope though by some chance maybe he'll still honk a bit like your (Chrisdoc's) bunny does.

I´m sure he´ll keep honking. I must admit it´s such a funny thing to hear and it always makes me giggles. I´d love to see Ripley honking, I´m sure it would be hilarious. You´ll be glad to get rid of his bad habits for sure, the peeing and pooping outside the tray and humping. They are still lovable little devils though.

Nothing´s ever 100% sure but you´ve done everything you can to make sure it´s as safe as possible. He´s a healthy little chap as well and I´m sure he´ll come through it and you´ll be amazed at how quickly he recovers.

Headed out to the vet with Ripley for his neuter. Prayers are very appriciated-I'm so nervous for him that everything will go ok.

Good luck! Hoping for an easy surgery and smooth recovery for you guys.

Well, we're home. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and prayers. Ripley came through surgery with flying colors. He's doing wonderfully. The surgery went very quickly, and he woke up very soon after as well. He's currently just resting in a small(ish) cage. He hasn't eaten anything yet and he hasn't pooped since early this morning, I hope he doesn't end up with stasis or anything going on. They closed up the incision with glue and sent him home on Metacam for 3-5 days. Besides the fact that he keeps falling asleep , he's doing good. Just gotta get him eating soon. I do have some critical care-if it takes him a while to start eating maybe I'll give him some, we'll see. I'm so relieved he's doing well, Hurray!

Great to hear he came out of surgery OK and hope he recovers well. You seem to have everything under control, just check that he´s eating and pooping and peeing and he should be bouncing about in a couple of days. Keep us posted :bunnydance:

Update on the Ripper Dipper:

Ripley is doing wonderfully now. He has had three days of Metacam and now we're out (we were using left over from another bunny). If he seems painful tomorrow, I'll pick some more up-they said 3-5 days of it.
He's pooping/peeing fine and the incision site looks wonderful.
He's as full of energy as ever and there are definitely some hormones left. he's not quite as bad with humping and circling and marking but still doing some. Hopefully in the next few weeks, those behaviors will diminish. Before the neuter, the vet did mention that humping can be just caused by anxiety in rabbits. However Ripley's all out honking too and not an anxious guy so I thiknthese things will get better.
I'm so happy that Ripley's doing well, and just overall very thankful for the outcome and his healing up-nothing looks swelled or anyting too!

great news and I´m sure the hormones will settle down as it does take quite a few weeks for it all to sort itself out. He sounds like he´s doing really well,boys recover really quickly and it´ll be you that´ll have to confine him for a few days as he´ll be raring to go lol.

I just went through this with my buck.....hope it helps.

What type of bedding is best after sugery? Yesterday's news? Towels in the box?
Anything soft & clean to lay on.

I know you never fast before surgery, but how soon after can they have food and water? Can he have anything (within reason of coarse) directly after surgery?
when i dropped off my buck(sebastian), i gave the vet a small bag of his pellets and his favorite veggi. you need to make sure you get them eating as soon as possible. anything to get them it eat something. my buck came around the next day and everything was fine.

I assume he'll need a recheck after surgery, how many days later does he need to go in again?
For rabbits most vets will use internal stitches and glue to close the surgery site. i did not go back to the vet afterwards but i would check the surgical sight everyday for about a week. anything looks wrong, hes not eating or it looks inflamed you want get to the vet asap.

How long (hoefully) after the procedure until behaviors like humping should go down in frequency?
I had both my spay/neuter done at 5 months. i noticed changes within days but i would think it depends on the age of the rabbit.

How long do they normally need pain meds afterwards?
after the second day, sebastian would not let me get anywhere near him.

How long should I expect him to be mopey and quiet after surgery?
Sebastian was up and about later on the second day.

Back