RIP-Tallulah rushed to vet b/c of pooping bloody mucus

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
I just got back from the vet. Tallulah is pretty sick and the vet doesn't know if she'll make it. I slept in very late today and found her lying on her stomach in her litter box, with no interest in food and she didn't drink her water during the night. I picked her up and her belly was very round and full and she had thick, bloody mucus mixed with poop on her rear end with blood smeared on her back feet and urine on her tummy. She was acting quite lethargic.

We rushed her to the vet immediately, the vet did an x-ray and found that her cecum is very enlarged and her intestines are pretty full of feces. She is quite dehydrated from not drinking during the night (and she only drank about 2/3rds as much as she usually does yesterday). She was treated with Metacam and given fluids subcutaneously. They put her in the incubator set to 80 degrees and have hay and water for her. They will be giving her an IV when she's not as dehydrated and will be starting her on antibiotics. They also tested her feces and found coccidea. We're going back in two hours with pellets for her and to visit her and see if she can come home for the night.

Our regular vet was out of the office, but was due to get back right after we left. She's going to look Tallulah over and hopefully have more info for us on what's going on when we go back this evening.

For those of you who don't know, Tallulah has had intestinal problems for her whole life pretty much. She's 7 1/2 months old. A month and a half ago, her belly became bloated and she felt heavy and had an enlarged cecum. She was treated for coccidea and got better! No poopy butt for a good 3-4 weeks now! That's a first for her. Then 2 days ago, she started getting a little heavy feeling again and had a little nasal discharge (not unusual for her), but was acting great, eating and playing and pooping like normal (still no poopy butt). All of this even as of 2 am this morning. I've been palpating her abdomen and couldn't feel her cecum like I could back when she was being treated for coccidea, and last night she actually felt lighter than she had, though I did notice she drank less than usual (she usually drinks about 1 1/2 cups of water every day and she drank about a cup). I was going to schedule her for an appointment today. She changed so much overnight! Her belly got so big and she became so listless and uninterested in everything (nose barely wiggling, eyes dull, not supporting her head very much when I held her on her back), not to mention the bloody mucus and the dehydration.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? It of course seems that the enlarged cecum is related to the bloody mucus (all her poop today has come out covered in the mucus). Will my little girl be okay? I'm so afraid she's going to die and that she's in pain. Is it safe for her to be in an incubator? I don't want her to overheat. Her temperature was rather low (hence the incubator), but her heart and lungs were fine. Does the treatment so far seem okay?

Sorry this is jumbled and might not make sense, my mind is racing and I'm so worried about her. I made sure not to cry in front of her and was petting her, kissing her and telling her she's going to be just fine and will be coming home soon. Last time I had to leave a pet at the vet, she died.

Oh, Shiloh...I'm so, so sorry. I don't have much to share as I've never dealt with coccidea, but you and yours will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers now and always.

If you need anything at all, please feel free to PM me.

:pray:Tallulah, please come through this. I'm sending you strength...

Oh no, not Tallulah :(OooohI so hope she will be ok. I am so sorry to hear of all this going on with her. I have no advice but I am sending you all my love and hugs. :rose:

Oh no Shiloh... not Tallulah! I'm so sorry... I'm sorry I can't offer advice, but I'm hoping with all my heart that she will be ok....

I'm so sorry I couldn't reply on MSN, it's died on me and wont let me back in, but feel free to PM or email me...

Thinking of you, and praying that she will be alright!

:hug:

Jen xx

Okay, I have an update! I just called the vet to see how she's doing, even though it's only been about an hour since I saw her. They said that Tallulah is a little less lethargic, hasn't eaten any hay but DID drink a little water by herself! They gave her Critical Care and were able to take a little bit of blood to do tests with but will need to draw more. She said Tallulah has already absorbed the sub q fluids so they're going to give her more. She's still pooping the bloody mucus. Our regular vet, Dr. DeLeon, got back in and took a look at Tallulah and her x-ray and approved of the treatment. I'm glad she's not getting worse!

oh Shilo, how worrying. Poor Tallulah has been through so much, bless her heart. I can't offer much adive, I'm afraid, but at least it sounds as though she is in good hands with your vet.

I will be keeping you in my thoughts. Please update as and when you can.

Jan

OMG! My only question on the treatment is if she is getting treated for clostridium? It's a nasty gut bacteria that can cause bloody poop and tends to take advantage of ill buns in GI stasis, etc. I know one of my rabbit vets mentioned that as a prime culprit ofblood in poops when we were discussing Sprite.

Come on little baby, I'm pulling for you!:pray:

I'm so glad to see that she has not worsened! Come on little Tallulah, you can get through this!!!!:bunnyhug:

Thinking of you, SnowyShiloh and your girlie Tallulah:pray:

Everyone, please pray for my baby girl... We need your help! I'm so afraid she isn't going to make it, she's so lethargic that it's like holding a rag doll. She seems to be barely breathing. We came home with a whole bucket of medications for her, I tried to give her some of them but stopped because she isn't swallowing. I'm afraid she'll breathe in the medications. She's hardly breathing now. It's so shallow. It doesn't seem labored and she isn't breathing too fast, just so, so shallowly. I'm trying to stay cheerful for her, but I can't hold her and see her so sick and not cry. I can't bear the idea of losing my little princess, I always was afraid she'd die young. Please think of us and hope she starts improving!

Oh no. This doesn't sound good at all. Do her ears feel cold? If so, she is in shock at this point. Keep her warm, is the best thing to do. Oxygen would be good at this point too, is there an emergency vet open?

Anyone else have any advice?!

:tears2: I'm praying hard here.

They sent her home? Was the diagnosis enteritis / coccidiosis?

Did they give you Bene-bac? Sulfur? Not much to do orally if she's not swallowing. :tears2:

Warm and calm is the right course of action I think. Not even sure if there are injectible treatments.

I've been looking around, I'll keep trying.

Poor Tullulah.. And poor Shilo..

sas :pray:

Latest posts

Back