RIP-Pus coming from rabbits rectum?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunbunbinkie

Reaction score
My friend noticed some pus coming out of her buns rectum last night... she's taking him into our work (we work at a Veterinary Hospital) as we speak, but I wanted to get everyone's thoughts and opinons of what it may be...

She is unsure of his age... she adopted him from the SPCA...she's had him a minimum of 2 years. She was told he was a neutered male.

Is eating and drinking okay, however he is lethargic, and has greenish infection seeping out of his rectum.

I haven't seen anything for myself, and she (my friend) is not very well versed with rabbits.

I dont know if the pus is actually coming from the rectum, or the gential area... she is not certain of this either....

What do you think??

If it's green, it is an infection most likely caused by a bacteria known as clostridium....could be some e coli in there too. More precisely, the mucus is an attempt by the body to protect the liningof the GI tract. This irritation is normally caused by a change of pH and is usually associated with the die off of beneficial bacterial and thegrowth of toxic bacteria. The condition is known by various names....enteritis is one....we call it cecal dysbiosis. Since you work at a vet clinic....hydration and metronidazole....and quickly. If he pulls thru, look very carefully at what you are feeding this rabbit.....this can be caused by several things including an improper diet or spoiled pellets/hay. This should be considered an emergency and is life threatening.

Randy

Little bunny "Pete" didn't make it... he passed away at my work.. I drove up there to helpmy friend(as I am off today and there aren't any techs versed in rabbits there today either). I was carrying him back to treatment and his little body just let go......

Prayers for my friend Ashley.....

Binkie in peace, little Pete.... go find Oliver, my bunny.... make friends while you wait to join your "humans" again...:rainbow:

I'm sorry to hear about Peter. It was nothing that your friend or you could do at this point, it sounded so irreversible...

Marietta

I'm so sorry little Pete didn't make it. If it was enteritis (as Randy suggested), there was probably not much that could have been done.

RIP Pete:rip:

Latest posts

Back