(RIP)Old bunny sick

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anutka

Reaction score
My bunny is about 8 years old. He has maybe arthritis, he keeps his right back leg close to the left. A week ago he could still sit, no straight but still. Now he falls down and almost can't get up. I sit him up to eat and he moves somehow to drink.
I took him to the vet, and all they said that maybe he has arthritis.

He seems very tired, sleeps, or lies on his side most of the time.

What do I do? I don't want to put him down, since he can still eat/drink, but I am not sure if he is in pain.

Sorry to hear Chernish is having some problems. Only you know what is best for him. Here is asuggestion or guidelinefrom another member.

TinysMom wrote:
I used to be on a list for owners of disabled rabbits and they often talked about the three A's...

Affection
Alertness
Appetite

The idea was if the rabbit had those three or two of those three (could be showing affection to another rabbit if they had a partner)...then it was not time to let them go. But if they didn't have those three things - they wanted to be allowed to die.

I hate to say this as I normally fight for life as much as possible - but it sounds like the kindest thing you can do is help your bunny cross the rainbow bridge with the vet's help.

So often this final act of love for them - breaks our heart - but it does keep them from suffering if there is no hope of recovery.

I had a bunny like that (RIP Babette 2008)
She was still eating and interacting with her bonded mate but she could not maintain balance I could barely leave the house asI was so afraid that she would fall over ; she could not right herself by herself so Ihad to be available to pick her up
She most likely had arthritis of the spine.
She finally developed a pressure sore on the side that she was leaning. It was at that point that I decided to have her put to sleep as there was no way for me to get her off that side.

You may want to ask your vet about using an NSAID (anti-inflammatory med) that may ease his discomfot and make him more mobile.

I have also heard of the use of glucosamine/ chondroitin for arthritic problems but I have never used it on a rabbit myself.

Sad situation which I do understand. :(

The bunny died today.
Its good that it was natural death, and I did not have to make decisions.

Thank you

I have a cage and a small carrying cage if anybody in Toronto area needs it.

Latest posts

Back