RIP: Not sure if there is a problem or not

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tam24927

Reaction score
Velvet is a black lop who is 6 years old. She is a unspayed female that I have had since birth. She is eating drinking pooing and peeing normal the only thing is that she is wigging her nose and mouth alot and she sits in her cage and looks up as in a trance and if she is not doing that she is standing on her hind legs with her front paws on the bars looking up. She has been doing this for hours. We had her out last night and she ran around for a few then just sat under the table which is some what normal for her. But I am not sure if there is a problem or not. We have checked her mouth and teeth and all is fine. Any ideas??

Could it be that she is breathing heavily? Sometimes bunnies will tilt their heads up in order to breathe better if they are congested. Were you able to look or feel at her back teeth (molars)? Is her nose runny at all?

Update Velvet is still eating her greens and drinking water but is barely pooing and peeing not as much as usual. She is still standing up in her cage just not as much. I am really puzzles any advice will be greatly appreicated.

I really think it may be heat or heart-related. Do you have a way of listening to her heart? Could you compare the noises it makes to another of the buns that's acting normal? The reasons for labored breathing are heat, heart attack/disease, airway blockage (due to infection or junk stuck down there like pellets, or even an abscess in the throat), or pneumonia.

If it is hot where she is, could you move her gradually (over the period of a day or so) to a cooler place, or gradually decrease the heat in the area she's caged? It wouldn't be good to take her from 100degree heat to 70 degree heat suddenly, but taking her out of the heat if it is in fact very hot where she is may help.

If cooling her off doesn't help, I really would want her heart checked and her lungs listened to, by you if you think you can do it, or best by a vet.

OMG we're so sorry for your loss. We lost our Commander Bun-Bun after six years. It was almost like she just gave up and faded away. Sure do miss her. Rest in peace little one, you are loved and missed. Blessed be.

Latest posts

Back