(RIP) Myxomatosis? please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo

Reaction score
My rabbit was diagnosed with the snuffles yesterdaywhile I was away at college, and I came home for the weekend tonight and it didn't look like just snuffles to me.
I'm terrified he actually has myxomatosis, and don't know what to do as all vets are closed (its 10pm here)

He's not vaccinated because the vet recommended against it as our area is not a high risk area.

Symptoms are: A lot of discharge from both eyes, laboured snuffly breathing.

What worries me more is the swelling along the eyelids, the inflamed genital area, and a hard swelling on both the nose and base of 1 ear.
Myxo??
What do I do? He got an antibiotic shot for snuffles yesterday and 1 oral dose today of baytril but im sure this isnt enough for myxo.

I know there's no cure but what's the best way to increase his chances?
I have him snuggled in a warm blanket and am feeding him critical care, although he hasnt fully lost his appetite yet and had a big feed of pellets when I got home.

Obviously vet first thing in the morning but i'm worried about tonight, ill be staying up with him, any suggestions to lessen discomfort etc?

Is it true vicks vapour rub is ok to let him sniff to ease breathing?

Many thanks

Hello Echo;
Sorry no one has responded sooner :(

I am not an infirmary mod, but here are our Library Links on the subjects of Pasturella/"snuffles" and Myxomatosis.

Myxomatosis
Scroll down to the bottom of the first post for nursing help "Can rabbits with myxomatosis be treated?": however, vet assistance is really needed.

Pasturella (Main links)

Pasturella discussion

I'll see if I can't round up someone wiser than myself to help :)

ETA:
Infirmary Mods, take a look here ->
This link has a very important suggestion for treatment, which may work if you can get to vet's quickly enough/they can obtain drugs:
[font="Verdana,Sand,Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif"]Equimune I.V.

[/font]http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/myxo.html
Scroll to bottom of page

Hi, sorry nobody has responded lately. In the US, we're not as familiar with myxi as it doesn't occur here (except rarely).

It sounds like Myxi because of the swellings. I have read that nothing can be done for a bunny with myxi, but I will continue to look for other references (incl the ones autumn posted.

I do know there is nothing you can do at home. A vet can give sub-cutaneous fluids to keep him hydrated, give oxygen, and keep him from overheating.

This link has a good description of the course of symptoms in a myxi-infected rabbit. Please read them and see if it sounds like the same thing your bunny has.

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/myxo.html

A pic of an affected bunny, plus lots of symptoms (clinical signs)
http://www.kindplanet.org/myxo2.html

Another good link
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=18+1803&aid=3422

This article is from my favorite rabbit medical site, and it's a bit technical but full of good info.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Viral_diseases/myxomatosis.PDF

From the Medirabbit article, if there is genital swelling, nodules (myxomas) on the face, and the eye runniness it's not pasturella but is myxi. The lumps on his face sound like myxomas.

If you can find an emergency vet, that would be the best. If not, keep him warm. Use towels warmed in the dryer, a heating pad, a hot water bottle, a pop bottle full of hot water, and/or a rice sock (dry rice in a sock microwaved for a few min) can keep him warm. If you can keep one room warmer (21-22C), keep him in there. I would recommend putting him in the bathroom with a hot steamy shower going, but I think that might not be the best because secondary infections like pneumonia can happen with myxi, and they could be accelerated by the wet environment. Dry heat should be better.

Keep him hydrated as well. Syringe feed him some Dioralyte (rehydration drink for sick babies). I'd get at least 30mL into him tonight. You can wipe away mucous with a warm wet washcloth, and if his nose is quite mucousy, you can use a baby nose bulb to remove mucous from his nostrils so he can keep breathing. He may prop himself up--his front end higher than the back--to get more air. If an emergency vet were available, this would be a big emergency sign, but if that's not possible, just let him do it if it helps.

Hi everyone thanks for the replies, I've read all the links and am still convinced it is myxomatosis.
I've stayed up with him all night, he's been wrapped in his blanket in my arms to keep him warm.
Been giving him fluids orally and critical care solution. He's taking the fluids easily but I think it is painful for him to eat, even when the food is almost liquid as I discovered abcesses in his mouth at the base of his teeth - which appears to be another symptom based on some sites.

He is sleeping a lot, breathing is a bit easier thanks to the vicks and he isn't snuffling and wiping his face with his paws half as much. Keeping his eyes clean, but there is still a lot of milky discharge. I can't tell if he can still see or not. He's not really responding if I move my hand in front of him but at the same time he isn't getting a fright if I touch his head suddenly.

I called the emergency vet right after posting but he wasn't offering a 24hr service so he is arranging for someone to open the clinic at 10am pretty much to put him to sleep.

Is it right to euthanise him? i'm a big believer in giving animals a chance to recover but I've never dealt with an illness which causes this level of suffering before.
I'm torn in both directions of giving him a couple of days to see if he has a fighting chance or ending it now so he doesn't have to be in pain. My heart is breaking he is my oldest rabbit, 5yrs old that I rescued from roaming the streets. :( The sweetest boy ever.

He won't be admitted anywhere because of the bank holiday weekend. Called around all the clinics in town and every answering machine referred to the emergency vet's number, because they aren't open again until tuesday.
Don't really see why he is listed as emergency vet if he's not actually 'on call' . :(

I asked him if it is usual to not give the myxo vaccine and he said it isn't routinely done unless you live in the country. All the same, I am going to have my other 3 rabbits done ASAP.

I have never had to deal with myxomatosis, but I do know that the death rate is very high, and that it is a very slow and painful death. I also know that the survival rates for an unimmunized rabbit is very, very low and that most people choose to put the rabbit to sleep rather than let it suffer.

I'm so sorry that your poor bunny has this. Give him all the love you can while you can :hug:

--Dawn

He was put to sleep this morning after the vet confirmed it as myxo. Was very quick and peaceful. Rest in peace buddy :(

I am sorry to read that your little fella had myxo... you made the tough choice to relieve his suffering. Thank you for trying so hard to keep him pain-free...

Will be thinking of you and your buns.

:pink iris::rainbow::pink iris:
Binky free, little guy!

Autumn

I'm so sorry. You did the best thing for him. The chance of surviving is very low, and it is a long, painful death. Only bunnies that have been vaccinated can recover, and it's not easy for them. It's such a terrible disease. You kept him as comfortable as possible until you could see the vet. Binky free.

The others are now vaccinated but im worried about 1 who is very down in himself. Not sure if its the start of symptoms or if he's depressed from losing his companion.
Will be keeping a close eye on them all, fingers crossed :(

You can give him a stuffed toy to snuggle with--that may help. I hope it's just being sad. I'm glad the rest are now vaccinated. [[hugs]]

I am so sorry you lost your little rabbit. I have just encountered myxomatosis for the first time and I am so glad I had all mine vaccinated although noone in the neighbourhood did.
We live in a suburb close enough to the countryside and one of my rabbits is showing signs of myxo. But as she is vaccinated it's rather harmless. My vet says she has quite a few rabbits every year that die of it. It's a shame that there seems to be not enough awareness of how dangerous it is to pet rabbits.
Binky free little one.

Latest posts

Back