RIP: My Lionhead rabbit is alive but wont move. help please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spazydoo

Reaction score
I came home from work tonight to find my Lionhead rabbit Sienna
unresponsive but alive and breathing. I got her as a rescue bunny about 2 years ago and she is a house rabbit. We have another rabbit who if also female and very dominate. She wouldnt leave the lion heads side. My lionhead is usually not very social and is afraid of people. But when I layed down next to her and she opened her eyes and saw me she could hardly move but she managed to get a little closer to me. Right now I dont know what to do. I have her here with me right now. She doesnt seem to be in any pain but she wont move. I am afraid she is dieing. My heart is breaking. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thank you. Rebecca

Take her to the vet ASAP it sounds like floppy bunny which can be fatal if not treated. If you can't get to the vet give the bun this:

*Vitamin E powder used for horse.

*Vitamin E capsules from chemist used for humans.

* Calcium syrup.

This is an explanation of floppy bunny:

Floppy bunny is when you find your bunny flat in cage, cannot move but is breathing. I would give either vitamin E product as quick as possible, raise bunny up either something either side of bunny or a towel to elevate off ground so it’s like in a sitting position instead of lying flat and also add a warm water bottle to belly. Must keep hydrated and feed either with hydrolyte and critical care or baby food yogurt mixed with the vitamin E powder for horses. It is the best way to give as water will weaken the effect. To prevent this I have found that Uncle Tobies oats and a yogurt sandwich with bread soaked in yogurt spread with vitamin E powder over it add to cage and bunnies love it. Give banana and tomatoes. I would also treat for 28 days with Panacur as E cuniculi can affect different parts of the body.

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately a few minutes after writing my original post she passed away in my arms. My heart is broken. I love my little girl. I feel so awful right now.

I'm sorry for your loss.
What you describe does sound like a neurologic presentation, but it's hard to tell without examining the rabbit or a necropsy. Some neurologic conditions in rabbits (like E. cuniculi) can be contagious so it may be worth talking to your veterinarian about a necropsy of Sienna's body or at least an exam of you other rabbit.

sincere condolences in losing your little one =*0/

may her binky away w/ the rest of our loved one(s), R.I.P.

So sorry for you're loss. We've had three that made it to 15+ years and others that were only here for 3. It just happens out of the blue and sometimes a necropsy hasn't resolved any questions either. All of ours are rescues, so our shelter bunnies ages are unknown--we have a mini rex that has been with us for 12 years. Every loss leaves a hole in our hearts, so all we can do is love them while they are here.

Thank you all for your thoughts. We buried Sienna last night on our property. Since we got her as a rescue bunny we never knew how old she was. But we always suspected that she was up there in her years. maybe 8-12 years old. She was a real sweet heart. Always a little skittish around people. We think that she may have been abused or neglected by her previous owners. The rescue group that we got her from had found her outside with an eye injury. They told me that when they found her, she came running right up to them. They told me they thought someone may have abandoned her to live out her life outdoors. We took her in and gave her a good life. She has a special place in my heart and she will never be forgotten.
Thank you all
Rebecca

bunnies.jpg

Spazidoo--I am so sorry your bunny passed away. What a shock, and what a sorrow. I've never before heard of that condition and I thank you for posting.

Rebecca, this is heart breaking. It sounds like it was Siennas time to go. It also sounds like she took comfort in your presence in those last moments. I'm so sorry for your pain. Grieving for our animals is brutal. The pain can go very deep. I hope you will be feeling better soon and know you were there when Sienna needed you most.

Latest posts

Back