(RIP) Kate isn't thriving

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm... That's worrisome. EC is rarer in young bunnies, but an injury to the spine or a deformity could cause both. The waddle sounds a lot like how the bunny I pet-sat moved. His rear end was very stiff and he didn't get his hind legs off the ground very high when he moved--like all his bones from spine to hip to knee were more locked in place than normal. I don't know what his problem was, but he had a really rounded spine, perhaps spinal arthritis. I think she needs to be seen by a vet soonish. :(

EC is the shortened name for the condition called E. Cuniculi. It might be worth poddling yourself over to the Health section in the library and reading the thread on it.

I do agree with Tonyshuman that she needs a vet really pretty soon. Is she moving around at all?

Janet, I'm here if you need to PM me. Sounds like your baby is having some problems. :(Even tomorrow after the vet. If you need to talk, I'm here.

I called the vet and am leaving now. He said to bring her on up because I am apparently in a 'tizzy'. Anyway I will update soon. Thanks so much everyone. Please wish us luck and send prayers.

Well I am back. The vet gave me a diagnosis and wrote it down for me. It is spondylosis deforman? (I think- hard to read it). He gave her metacam for pain. He said she has lesions on her spine which were either caused by an injury or could have been there from birth.. It is causing her partial paralysis in her rear.
I don't know what to do yet. I am debating on what I should do for her. I want her to be happy and comfortable. The vet said that the decision is mine and that there is nothing to reverse this that he knows of yet but is going to check into it.
I am at a loss. I am so mad at her 'breeder'! I feel he/she should have noticed. Supposedly they had been doing this for awhile. Did they drop her or was it heriditary? He said both are options...I know she hasn't been dropped or carried incorrectly here as I have been the only one handling her- mostly cause of her messes.

Oh no, I'm so sorry. Here you are again having to make another hard decision. :pray:

edit: I'm just speechless. I feel so bad for you. You and your family have been thru alot and here you are going thru this now. I feel so bad for you. I'm here if you need to talk.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Heard of it? I am going to the library to look for it..
What accomodations would I have to make for her if I try to save her?
What could I do to keep her from being sore?

Thank you so very much April. It means alot to be able to talk to you and others on this forum who understand how this feels...

Kate cannot control her bladder so the litter box is pretty much useless. I am removing it. What kind of litter can I use that will keep her from sitting directly in her waste? The vet said she would need something soft so she isn't dragging any part of her body and getting sores from friction..

I am committed to this girl and I've decided that, unless she will be in pain, that she will stay with me and beaccepted- just as my son has been with his problems.

Someone please help me with these things. I want to make her comfortable.

I've only used 2 litters, so I don't have any idea about the litter you should use. The puppy pad sounded likea good idea, but I don't know about her poo'ing. if it would stick to her. If she was on a wire cage that might make her sore too.

wow Janet, I will be praying for you and your baby bun Kate :pray:

Ok... few questions..
When we're talking paralysis, what is the limit of movement?
Can she pull herself forward with front legs? Do hind legs support any weight?

Carefresh is a soft bedding.
Still looking.

Back