(RIP) Caring for the baby rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawacrates

Reaction score
the pregnancy came rather unexpected, but my female rabbit (Esset) is doing a good job. However, there is one that seems rather close to death. I believe its due to lack of food, because she's not removing it from the other healthy ones.

I really hope I didnt get to it too late, because he/she is very skinny and not moving much. They were born 9 days ago, so he/she couldnt have survived that long if he/she hadn't at least eaten a few times.

I bought kitten replacement milk and gave him/her a few drops. He started twitching and moving a little bit after swallowing the milk.

anyway, i guess i just wanted to share this with someone because its scary knowing that he/she will only survive if i care for it correctly.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? How much milk do you give and how many times a day? (i read that overfeeding is one of the lead killers of baby rabbits, cared for by humans of course) also, how exactly am i supposed to store the milk i bought (it came in a can and said "dispose after 72 hours". should i freeze it or chill it? it's currently in the fridge in a ziplock bag and i plan on letting it get to room temperature before giving it again. if im wrong at all, please correct me

I suppose i could have just looked up this information but question sites (specifically yahoo answers) are rather ill informed communities. thanks!

Yeah, keep the milk chilled and reheat to skin temperature before you feed it to him. Mother rabbits feed their babies once a day, so to imitate that, you would feed it once a day until its tummy starts to get round (might take half an hour with a bottle, although normally mommas only feed them for about five minutes...guess it flows better out of teats). Since it's already 9 days old, you shouldn't have to do this for very long--they'll usually start nibbling pellets after their eyes open up between 10 and 14 days old, and can be switched to it completely at 21 days if they're also drinking water.

thanks for your reply, hillrise. unfortunately, he passed a few minutes ago. hopefully, he/she didnt feel much pain. I read somewhere that if they arent fed regularly, their metabolisms slow down and they just sleep more until they don't wake up. i hope that's true cause this is pretty rough on me

Back