(RIP)breathing differently

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yngmea

Reaction score
Brownie is 7 going on 8 years old. He was on antibiotics in July and again in October, some infection(one I had never heard of). but was treated with Baytril(it was in his nasal cavity). I will suffice to say he has chronic breathing issues which I keep a very strict eye on him. Well today he consistently kept tilting his head upwards. He is eating good and everything else seems good..this is just an out of the ordinary behavior for him. I made an appointment for Monday with the vet, earliest I could get. any ideas tips suggestions. I have a humidifier in his cage. worried bunny mom. he is older and I lost his mate Misty last year.....and she was about this age too.

It does sound like respiratory distress of some sort. Was he ever checked for pneumonia? Sometimes upper respiratory tract infections spread down to the lungs. I can't think of anything you could do other than what you are already doing. Best of luck!

I'd get him to the vet ASAP. At his age, there could be any number of issues going on including congestive heart failure.

thank you so much. I am taking him Monday..if he digresses overnight we do have an exotic hospital about an hour away.
I really want to take him to his vet that knows him and his history. No he was not checked for pneumonia yet but I will have the vet thoroughly work him over. thank you guys so much!

I hope Brownie will be ok. If he gets worse I would try to take him to the emergency vet. (like you said) ;)

Get ahold of me if you need to talk.

If it is a bacterial infection of the lungs it would be helpful to use another antibiotic other than baytril ; many bacteria have become resistant to this drug as it tends to be overused in rabbits.

Ihad an older girl who did well on bicllin injections but your vet may also want to try zithromax, Convenia, Zeniquen ..somethingmore effective than baytril

thanks very much for that information, will write that down :)

ok an UPDATE on Brownie. He digressed overnight so off to Pender exotic emergency hospital we did go. He was put in an oxygen tank and after an hour I got to see him. He was looking much better. They will keep him oxygen therapy for 24 hours oral medication of zithromax and injections of penicillan. get x-rays to see what exactly we are dealing with, blood work.tentative game plan of 3 days care. we left him at the hospital.

Well the day ended on a very sad sad note. They were able to get an x-ray ..then an ultrasound. It turned out to be a mass that spread throughout his body,pressing on his heart and lungs. We had to put him to sleep tonight. We got a chance to go say goodbye. My heart on one side is heavy the other is releved for him. have fun on the other side brownie boy.

I am so sorry you lost Brownie. It sounds like he had something like what our 3 year old bunny Benjamin has just been diagnosed with. He too has a tumor in the chest cavity. I am just learning about this illness, but it is apparently common for bunnies to get cancer of the thymus, and go into respiratory or heart failure due to the mass putting pressure on the heart and lungs. Most bunny owners do not notice until it is too late to do much to help.

Brownie had a good long life with you and I know he was grateful for your excellent care.

thanks angieluv. I was sadly hoping for pneumonia at least he coulda had a chance. but i am guessing it was his time.

wow tonyshuman..that is just wow....i wish I could have caught this earlier for him I really do. I hope he forgave me if he suffered along the way.

Latest posts

Back