(RIP) 8 week old bunny in surgery now - fingers crossed he pulls through

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKrchov

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

A little back story:
I purchased an 8 week old Lionhead bunny from Petland 6 days ago. He has 24 days left on his warranty. For the past 3 days, I've noticed his right eye is a little puss-ey, cloudy, and all around painful looking. I called Petland to ask what to do and was waiting for a call back, when I woke up this morning and his eye is pussed shut and EXTREMELY swollen. We rush to the vets with little Nytro and the lovely vet Charlotte, examines him. She stains his eye to see if it is an ulcer or an infection and we discover that it is infact an infected ulcer. We also discover he has developed glaucoma in his eye. We are given two options: A) Euthanasia - $15, B) Surgery to completely remove his eye - $200-300+ At first, I sobbed and chose Euthanasia (because I couldn't afford 300+ for surgery) but then the vet decided she was going to call Petland and make SURE Nytro got the surgery he needed (It was completely their fault for selling him while sick) Petland agreed to fund the surgery and now here we are. The vet warned me of a few things though, that 1) bunnys are a very high risk surgery because of heart and breathing problems and 2) if the infection has spread, there is little hope even with the surgery. 3) if he pulls through all right and the infection hasn't spread he can be on his way to recovery.

So right now, he's in surgery, and I'm desperately waiting for the call if he's going to be okay or not. I went to the vet earlier (he was waiting in line for surgery, behind a few cats/dogs) and brought him his litter box, and a few toys and he seemed chipper, and explored his cage in good spirits so that's a good sign I hope.

I'll keep you guys updated as the surgery progresses, Nytro will have to stay at the vets overnight tonight and I'm going to miss him so much!

I am glad Petland decided to pay for the surgery, and good on your vet for fighting for you and your bunny!

Be sure to post updates, I am wishing the best for you and your bun!

Oh wow. I'm going to keep that little guy in my thoughts! My bun and I are sending you lots and lots of good wishes!

Thats why most of us have a problem with Petland. They have a really bad rep for doing exactly what they did to you; selling sick animals. Its horrible. But I'm glad they're going to pay for it.

I hope he pulls through, rabbits are pretty resilient little guys. :pray:

Oh and welcome to RO! We're glad to have you!

Oh my goodness this has to be so nerve wracking for you! I guess i can say a positive about Petland in that they are choosing to fund the surgery, but geesh it's hard hearing about how many sick animals Petland sells :( I'm so sorry this has happened to you and your new little bunny.
I will be thinking of little Nytro and please let us know how it turns out!

WARNING GRAPHIC PHOTOS

I thought I would add some photo's of my baby before and during his eye infection :(

Before, (Pardon the stained feet, this is the day we brought him home from the pet store)
Nytrobefore.jpg

December 10th (Notice the eye is a bit cloudy and very puss-ey):
DSC00004.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

December 11th at the vets NOTE: THE EYE COLOR IS STRANGE BECAUSE THE VET STAINED IT TO SEE THE ULCER (YELLOW CIRCLE)
DSC00005.jpg

I'm so sorry your poor bunn has to go through all that, especially at so young an age! it's wonderful you found a vet who cared enough to give petland an earful and get them to pay for the surgery to try to save his life.

given that it's 4:30 in the afternoon already, I'd give them a call to ask how it went if you haven't heard from them yet - I've noticed with my vet sometimes they don't get around to calling promptly (like after my girls' spay or when I dropped my sick sugar gliders off in the morning to be looked at between appointments), so it never hurts to phone them and check in.

I really hope he's made it through and is on his way to recovering! :pray:

just saw your latest post... poor little fellow!!

Yikes.....sweet lil bun and again so sorry for this :(

Any update yet??

My darling sweet boy has passed away :'( The vet said she removed his eye and was shocked to find a huge mass behind his eye, like a tumor. Shortly after removing his eye, she says it stimulated his Vegas (? spelling?) nerve and that cause him to stop breathing.

I'm going to miss my poor boy so bad :'( Petland has offered to replace him but I'm not sure if I want to go through this again :'( I miss him so much, he was my little friend :(

So sorry you had to go through this. Maybe if Petland has to pay for surgery etc often, they;ll realize they need to get their rabbits from a better place.

It sounds like you've found a great vet, so if & when you get another rabbit, you'll know what vet to use. In fact, maybe she could suggest another source, for you to use when you're ready.

Oh no, I'm so sorry for your loss. Binky free little bun :sosad

I'm sorry for your loss. The good news is that if he was under anesthesia it was probably a very peaceful passing.
Too many of us know what it's like to lose a bunny buddy.

Latest posts

Back