Rex has an abcess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.e.

Reaction score
On his left foot,front left toe, a raised area a little smaller than a pencil eraser.The skin is red, but I can see white stuff underneath. We have anappointment at 3:10 this afternoon.

Poor Rex had just gotten used to the idea that it was always Peanutbeing seen by the vet, and all he got was nose rubs. Imagine his shockwhen we start fiddling with his feet (he hates that)

Prayers and vibes are always appreciated. This is Rex's very firsthealth issue in over seven years, he's simply never been illbefore, so of course I want to make sure he's alright :pray:

Sending lots of prayers:pray:, good thoughts:kiss:, and luck:clover: your way.

Im so sorry you have had all this to deal with. :pray:

Lots of love :hug:

Haley and the boys

At this point,I'm not too worried. It's a very small abcess on a very easy todeal with location, so draining and flushing it should be okay for now.Surgery would be ideal, but for financial reasons that's just not atoption at the moment.

We're back :)

T
he vet said that theabcess looked ready to burst, so he opened, drained, and washed it out,and gave Rex a PenG injection to ward off infection. Poor guy has anowie on his toe :(

I need to wash it twice a day for the next week, and he'll get another shot next Thursday morning.

Aww poor Rex :cry1

Youre such a good mommy..Im sure he willbe finebefore you know it!:bunnynurse

Give him a kiss from me :kiss:

-Haley

Wow, this isthe third bunny this weekwith a foot abscess. Wehave cold season, fluseason, flea season, and nowsore foot season.

Poor Rex! Good thing you caught it so soon!

Pats and hugs all around!

sas :)and the gang :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

He's hopping aroundjust fine, though he loathes having his toe touched or cleaned.Enough is enough already, mom...

No oral antibiotics for now because thevet said they tend not to have as much success as the PennG injections,and oral antibiotics have nastier side effects in the gut.

Just a quick update before bed...

Rex's toe looks excellent, you couldn't even tell there was anabscess there. The wound is healing with no signs of filling up. Irealize it's only been four days, but I'm really happy with how wellthings are going so far. He'll be going back to the vet on Thursday foranother PennG shot to really kick those nasty abscess bacteria :boxing

[align=left]Keepyour fingers crossed for us this week: the vet noticed some granulatedtissue around Rex's toe. It may not mean anything, but it may mean thatthe abscess will come back. Dr. G gave Rex his third (and final) PennGshot and said that if the abscess returns within a week or so, Rex willneed to go in for surgery to havethe abscessand thesurrounding tissue completely removed. It's not as though Rex has a lotof tissue on his toes to begin with, so that could affect woundhealing. Ifthe abscess comes back, pre-surgery X-rayswill tell us whether or not it's invaded the bone. If it has, the wholetoe will be removed.

[/align] [align=left]Thisis, of course, not what I wanted to hear but not entirely unexpected.Prayers, thoughts, and good vibes are definitelyappreciated![/align]

Back