Rex Bunny Water Bottle Problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombiepriest

Reaction score
I just adopted a two year old Female Rex Bunny today and while she drinks out of her water bottle she pulls on it. We have tried moving the bottle lower farther into the cage and nothing works she keeps doing it. My other Rex Male does not do this so I am not sure if it is a gender thing or not. This is very annoying and I'm not sure why she would do this does anyone know?

Oh and I have the male and female in separate cages so nobody needs to worry there.

We may get a bowl but do you know why she would be doing this period? Water is coming out and its not leaking she just yanks it with all her might it seems.

Hello,

It sounds as if she may be playing. Does she have some toys in her cage? She may take some time to get settled in the new environment. I personally hate water bottles, and I've found thatmy rabbits prefer water bowls. I'm also convinced that rabbits drink more water if given bowls, and I'm all for that!

Ihope that helps!

-Kathy

I figured it might be an environment thing. She does not have any toys because we got everything she has at the humane society when we adopted her, cage and all. Thing is though she will drink, pull, drink, pull, etc. without a single break, so I don't know if that would matter.

Also our baby bunny has no toys and does not pull on it or anything like that he is a very well behaved bunny.

I think shes just a playful bunny:p I'd suggest getting some toys maybe some throwing ones for her hehe. Even though your other rabbit is well behaved he'd most probably enjoy some toys as they provide stimulation:) Baby toys like keys and stacking cups are great, also little balls and some cat and bird toys:)

Um just a thought, is the water flowing properly in the nozzle? Maybe shes pulling it trying to increase flow?....

You have to work harder to get water out of a bottle than a bowl. If she is used to a bowl she might be frustrated that she can't get water fast enough, or as fast as she used to. It may be she is not sure how to use a bottle, or that in the past she had a bottle that had to be shooken to work and that has stuck with her. It could be many things really.

Is it a good sized water bottle? Tony does that and when we got him a bigger spout he didn't do it as bad. Is the bunny a rex or mini-rex?

But yeah, Tony was trying to get more water. If I squeeze the bottle and make it pour more out through the nozzle when he's drinking - he's VERY HAPPY! I likes to gulp, not sip! ;)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Is it a good sized water bottle? Tony does that and when we got him a bigger spout he didn't do it as bad.  Is the bunny a rex or mini-rex?

Here goes Bo again, finding out all the mini-rex owners on the forum and insiting on pics.
:p;)

J/K.

Oh, believe me, I love REX too! :biggrin2:All bunnies are great but my rexy furred ones are heaven!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Is it a good sized water bottle? Tony does that and when we got him a bigger spout he didn't do it as bad. Is the bunny a rex or mini-rex?

But yeah, Tony was trying to get more water. If I squeeze the bottle and make it pour more out through the nozzle when he's drinking - he's VERY HAPPY! I likes to gulp, not sip! ;)
This is the water bottle she came with. When we adopted her, she came with everything the previous owner left for her, including that bottle. So I assume that she's been using this. I've thought about calling the previous owner, asking if she did that when they had her, because they gave their number in April's profile. She's just a rex, not a mini. But yes, it is a pretty good sized one, I think. Definitely not as big as one I have been using for my chinchilla. I tried to find one just like hers where I bought it, but no luck. But I mean, It's definitely not small, but not the biggest either.

Latest posts

Back