REW & BEW's

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandhills_rabbits

Reaction score
I just got a new bunny boy yesterday that iswhite (and adorable!) with either reddish pink eyes or blue eyes.Really, they are more of a cross between the two colors, and are morelavender then any other color. What I'm wondering is how do I know if ihave a REW or a BEW? I know this must sound like an incredibly stupidquestion, but I really cant tell which color of eyes his are closer to.

Also, is it true that REW & BEW might have more-sensitive immunesystems then other rabbits? Do their eyes get irritated more easilythen brown eyed buns?

Thanks!
Annie

Lenci is a REW and she has no problems with hereyes at all. Iszy has brown eyes and hers are constantlydischarging. Do you have a picture of the bunny?

sandhills_rabbits wrote:
I just got a new bunny boy yesterday that is white (andadorable!) with either reddish pink eyes or blue eyes. Really, they aremore of a cross between the two colors, and are more lavender then anyother color. What I'm wondering is how do I know if i have a REW or aBEW? I know this must sound like an incredibly stupid question, but Ireally cant tell which color of eyes his are closer to.

Also, is it true that REW & BEW might have more-sensitiveimmune systems then other rabbits? Do their eyes get irritated moreeasily then brown eyed buns?

Thanks!
Annie

The purple eyes aren't unusual and can be the result ofanumber of different genes in a number of different colorsbesides white. The REW/BEWs do seem to have a highersensitivity to disease, more sensitive eyes, and appear to be morelikely to have medications cross the blood/brain barrier resulting inneurological problems. This isn't surprising as mostmutations effect more body systems than may be physically obvious.

You may have a BEW carrying shaded genes instead of full C.Lower c series genes often give that purple cast to the eye such as inthe case of a heterozygous cchl c sable point. It has adistinctly purple eye where the homozygous sable point has a distinctlybrown eye.

Have also seen purple eyes in the Dutch as well as ermines.

In the case of a REW suffering from pneumonia and gasping for air, the eyes will also appear purple.

Pam

Thank you so much for your sharing yourinformation and vast knowledge with me once again, Pam! I am glad toknow that i'm not going color blind, and my little boy CAN have thelavender eyes. I was worried that I just dont know my colorsanymore.... glad that's not the case! :)

The good news is that he's not gasping for air or showing any signs ofsickness like Pneumonia..... I think that his lavender eyes are justbecause of the genes he has.

As soon as I can get a good picture without having to use the flash Iwill, so then everyone can get a good look at his beautiful eyes. Hisname's Caspar, but i find myself refering to him as "pretty eyes" moreoften then by his real name :)

Lissa wrote:
Lenciis a REW and she has no problems with her eyes at all. Iszyhas brown eyes and hers are constantly discharging. Do youhave a picture of the bunny?

Lenci is not a REW she is a black pointed white.

lizabeth332 wrote:
Lenci is not a REW she is a black pointed white.
Ahaha! Lenci has red eyes but she certainly isn't a REW! :D I was thinking of Angel. :D

Samson is white....with blue eyes....but...greypatches on his bum....:p Peppy also has blue eyes, but he's black...so,no worries with me, I love my mutts :)

Apollo is a red-eyed white and the only thing Ihave noticed with him and other red-eyed whites is that the their eyestend to be just a little bit more sensitive to light. I had to buy ahat( a ballcap actually) to help shade his eyes outside.

Tina

Lissa wrote:
lizabeth332 wrote:
Lenci isnot a REW she is a black pointed white.
Ahaha! Lenci has red eyes but she certainly isn't a REW! :D I was thinking of Angel. :D

Lenci is the closest genetically that a rabbit can be without actuallybeing a REW. The "ch" himi/pointed gene is one "step" abovethe "c" rew gene on the scale of domiance. For the intent ofjudging fur class, the pointeds are actually considered "white" andshown along with the other white varieties, REW & BEW.

Pam

Does anyone have any (or know where I can find)pictures of blue eyed rabbits? I just think they are gorgeousand really want an upclose look at a nice blue eye! Thanks

-Vanessa

You can find a lot of photos if you do aninternet search for "BEW rabbits". Below is a photo of "Ace",a purebred Netherland Dwarf BEW sport. (It's hard to see how brilliantblue his eyes really are though).

Latest posts

Back