Revolution Dosage Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
My new bun has been scratching his ears, shaking his head/ears and grooming in general. His skin at the base of his ears and upper temple area is also irritated.

The vet found no sign of mites in his ear canals;mange wasn't found; fleas weren't noticed on his body.

We were given a Revolution capsule for our cat (45 mg, 0.75 mL, 60mg/mL), which is for5.1-15 lbs. The same capsule was measured out for our rabbits; the dosages were estimated as:

0.17 mL (for 3 lbs.)

0.21 mL (for 4 lbs.)

0.33 lbs. (for 6 lbs.)

I'm horrible at math. Can anyone confirm thatthese dosages are correct, based upon the strength of the Revolution dose? (Yeah, I'm nervous about giving something that can affect neurological function to my bunners.)

Thank you,

Jenk

angieluv wrote:
Did the vet do an ear culture. Revolution is used for fleas, mite, mange..if none of that was found why are you giving it?
She didn't do an ear culture; she said that there is nothing visible to culture (no debris, much less mites). She performed a skin scrape from the area of already irritated skin but found no mites.

I didn't determine that Revolution is necessary; the vet suggested giving it, in the event that a fewfleas are the issue but(too few to be seen during the exam). Not knowing what else could be causing the itching/scratching, she said givingone dose ofRevolution would let us see if it helps to relieve the issue (in the even that it's caused by unseen fleas).

I told the vet that I've twice seen my cat scratching his ears recently--something that we've hardly ever seen him do. We're unsure if his scratching ties in with our bun's ear scratching; she said that they could be related and, thus, recommended Revolution. (She couldn't see any visible mites/debris/irritation in our cat's ears, either.)

I'm at a loss as to what could be causing my guy's ear irritation, but it's definitely there; he's scratched hard enough to leave dried pinpricks of blood. And I see him scratching/head shaking a lot.

This isn't easy for me either :)
First of all you have to determine what your vet prescribed as a rabbit dosage.
According to medi-rabbit a rabbit dosage of selamectin (Revolution)is 6 mg/kg

A kilo = approx 2.2 lbs
If there is 45 mg =0.75 ml then
22.5mg= 0.375 ml
11.25 mg = 0.1875ml

5.625 mg= 0.9375 ml

3 lbs = 1.25 kg=7.5mg
4 lbs = 1.75kg=10 mg
6lbs =2.75 kg =16 mg
your vet said
0.17 ml=3lbs

0.21ml=4lbs

0.33ml=6 lbs
I think that's approx right :)

I haveused Revolution multiple times over the years on shelter rabbits with fleas. the only side-effect that we ever saw was loss of hair at the site of application.

I wouldn't worry about using at all

angieluv wrote:
First of all you have to determine what your vet prescribed as a rabbit dosage.
According to medi-rabbit a rabbit dosage of selamectin (Revolution)is 6 mg/kg
I should clarify (sorry): The doses mentioned previously (based upon body weight) were estimated by the vet.

I looked at the rabbit dosage calculator but overlooked Selamectin, thinking that the site would state the brand name. Oops! :?

I'm not keen on administering Revolution but am uncertain what else to do in the face of possible external parasites. The bun who's scratching the most likely needs something. My cat is battling an undetermined illness;I worry about exacerbating hisissues. My other two bunners are so small that I worry about causing them problems from such a strong drug. Granted,Revolution is administered to small puppies/kittens.

angieluv wrote:
I haveused Revolution multiple times over the years on shelter rabbits with fleas. the only side-effect that we ever saw was loss of hair at the site of application.

I wouldn't worry about using at all.
I just read your reply after voicing my worries about dosing small bunners with it.

Thank you for the information; it does make me feel more at ease. :D

We didn't even dose it carefully like your vet (at the timeI didn't know any better ) and nothing ever occured. We used Revolution for kittens and puppies

My vet recommended 2.7mg salemectin per pound of body weight. I used the puppy & kitten formula Revolution (which contains 60mg salemectin per ml.) I know the differant varieties, such as dog and cat have a differant mg/ml concentration of salemectin so this should help you discover the right dose no matter which type your using.

If you look at the box it should tell you how many mg/ml salemectin it contains. Then multiply 2.7 X (weight of bun) and divide the answer by the concentration. For puppy/kitten it would be 60. Example: 2.7 X 6lb = 16.2mg. 16.2 / 60 = .27ml. The puppy & kitten comeswith .25ml per tube so 1 tube is appropriate for a 6lb bun.

I hope that makes sense....

I've talked to people who buy the large dog type and then use "a few drops" per rabbit without a problem. I've stuck with what the vet recommended.

angieluv wrote:
Her vet gave her the dosage of 60mg/ml but dosed it individually for each bun. There are slight variations in what each person would use.
I administered it to the new guy two days ago and the remaining furry family members last night. So far, everyone is acting normally.

My new guy has stopped scratching his ears like crazy, so they're no longer reddish in color. The vet mentioned that if Revolution seemed to help, I should consider dosing everyone once more next month. So I'm undecided if I want/need to dose them again, or if that's a bad (risky) idea.

angieluv wrote:
Cool. Thanks, Maureen. :D

The vet suggested a second dose in case a few fleas wind up running loose. I've been vacuuming like a fiend to prevent that from happening (God willing).

My parents have twice bombed their home (two different homes) for a mite infestation. It was insane--and insanely expensive, since they also had to clean all of their clothing (at the laundramat to speed up the process) and have their rugs/upholstry professionally cleaned.

Latest posts

Back