Revolution and GI Stasis Question...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Revolution can bring about stasis in rabbits? My one Mini Rex, Emma, goes into stasis with every shed (i.e., a minimum of four times yearly). She just got over a bout of stasis (was shedding at the time) and is starting to get smaller poops again just three weeks' later. I'm wondering if giving her a second dose of Revolution might be contributing to the issue?

Thank you,

Jenk

There is one flea medication that people here say a big NO to...it might be Revolution. Let me see if I can find a link for a thread about it for you.

OK, so far, I've seen that Revolution is all right to give to rabbits. I'll keep searching, though.

EDIT: Here's a link to one thread about fleas and revolution

No threads come up in the search about side effects. I would call your vet if you're seeing some, though.

Maybe some of the infirmary mods will have some additional input.

Elf Mommy wrote:
OK, so far, I've seen that Revolution is all right to give to rabbits. I'll keep searching, though.

No threads come up in the search about side effects. I would call your vet if you're seeing some, though.
Revolution is reportedly safe for rabbits, though it's not "officially" been tested on them.

If my Emma girl doesn't start producing more normal-sized poops by tomorrow morning, I'll be starting her on Reglan early tomorrow and will call the vet when I get home from work. (I can't make phone calls from work. Alas.)

Why is she on Revolution?

Ive used it several times without any side effects. I dont see why it would cause any digestive problems since it is applied to the neck where they cannot lick it off.

It is the time of year for shedding again so I would assume any digestive problems might be tied to that instead.

Haley wrote:
Why is she on Revolution?
Mites.
Ive used it several times without any side effects. I dont see why it would cause any digestive problems since it is applied to the neck where they cannot lick it off.
While it's true thatRevolution is applied to the neck, that doesn't mean that it couldn't possibly affect the digestive system in some form. At least I don't take any possibility for granted these days. (It can affect animals neuologically, so why not in other ways?)
It is the time of year for shedding again so I would assume any digestive problems might be tied to that instead.
We've barely removed any hair from her(using the Zoom-Groom)during the past two weeks'; it seems that her shed is completed. Plus, she was on Reglan during her shed, and itdid help her to successfully move her stomach contentswhen she needed the help.

I tend to agree. If youre really worried, you should probably get her to a vet. But I wouldnt thinkRevolutionwould affect the GI tract unless it was ingested. I know lots of people who treat with Revolution every time they bring in a rescue bunny and no one I know has had any problems.

angieluv wrote:
if Emma has had frequent GI stasis in the past why attribute it to Revolution?
Because there is always the possibility of a strange, unforeseen side-effect with any drug; I wasn't certain if stasis had ever been reported (or observed) in a bun after one dose (or more) of Revolution.
Putting her on and off metoclopromide is a more likely cause.
I will ask the vet what he recommends, since he gave me the go-ahead to try her on Reglan this last time.

Hi, I don't think revolution would be the cause of her shrinking poops and potntial stasis but I do think:

1) even though she is not shedding as much anymore, she very well may have lots of fur left in her stomach from the last shed. It might just have built up to this point.

2) I don't think metoclopromide is a good drug to be using regular- even though you take her on and off it as needed, it is a drug that causes stomach cramps in rabbits as it works by stimulation of stomach contractions. This is no doubt painful. If the problem lies in the fact that there might be a hair build up, stimulating stomach contraction may be more dangerous than anything by forcing a potential obstruction into the pyloric muscle and causing rupture.

Many vets will use cisapride if the rabbit presents frequent slowdown and stasis- it does not cause cramping as metoclopromide does and also does not force anything into the sensitive pyloric muscle since it is a drug that stimulates the lower GI tract. Of course any motility drugs and their use is controversial- but metoclopromide in particular scares me, and I have known rabbits to die on that drugs. On the other hand, I have seen rabbits on Cisapride (and have one on it daily) on it for a long term with no ill effects. Any drug has its risks though but I would re-evaluate Emma's medication and situation.

One other thing you can do when the poops are getting smaller is increasing the veggies daily. It may happen to soften any stomach contents and potential obstruction and help it pass. If the rabbit cannot tolerate veggies however, skip this one.

dquesnel wrote:
...I do think:

1) even though she is not shedding as much anymore, she very well may have lots of fur left in her stomach from the last shed. It might just have built up to this point.

It shouldn't be too built-up; she was started on Reglan the very day that her fecals started decreasing in size, and was on it for seven days'. During that time, her fecals returned to normal size. (I'm guessing that they may be smaller now due to going off of the Reglan, as other RO members have suggested.)

2) I don't think metoclopromide is a good drug to be using regular- even though you take her on and off it as needed, it is a drug that causes stomach cramps in rabbits as it works by stimulation of stomach contractions. This is no doubt painful. If the problem lies in the fact that there might be a hair build up, stimulating stomach contraction may be more dangerous than anything by forcing a potential obstruction into the pyloric muscle and causing rupture.

I will ask the vet about alternatives. He feels comfortable using the drug, though, as long as a decrease in fecal size is caught very early (i.e., the digestive system is still moving along relatively well, all things considered).

I think that his reasoning for starting with Reglan is that a slowdown in the GI tract seems more likely to begin in the stomach. And since Propulsid does not work on the stomach region, well, 'nuff said.

Truly, I don't wish to cause my bunners' pain/additional digestive upsetsp; butthey have stasis issues so often that it it's mind-boggling and seemingly impossible for me to just "wait it out." (I fear that "waiting it out"--i.e., treating the issue with hay, veggies and/or Critical Care only--will just result in a complete gut shutdown.)

In the past, I've askedRO members for a relatively "safe" time to "wait out" stasis symptoms (i.e., smaller-than-normal fecals); people wereadverse to state a time limit, which made me feel moreremiss to hold off before calling the vet for drug advice (esp. since Emma wound up hospitalized for stasis once before :().
Many vets will use cisapride if the rabbit presents frequent slowdown and stasis- it does not cause cramping as metoclopromide does and also does not force anything into the sensitive pyloric muscle since it is a drug that stimulates the lower GI tract. Of course any motility drugs and their use is controversial- but metoclopromide in particular scares me, and I have known rabbits to die on that drugs. On the other hand, I have seen rabbits on Cisapride (and have one on it daily) on it for a long term with no ill effects. Any drug has its risks though but I would re-evaluate Emma's medication and situation.
I'll contact the vet about trying Cisapride (Propulsid) when stasissymptoms begin to get his thoughts.

One other thing you can do when the poops are getting smaller is increasing the veggies daily. It may happen to soften any stomach contents and potential obstruction and help it pass. If the rabbit cannot tolerate veggies however, skip this one.
She seems to tolerate veggies fairly well. In the past, I've waited maybe two days' time of giving her extra veggies and even some pumpkin before panicking over her still-small fecals. For all I know, as long as she's still passing them (small, or otherwise), all is okay. :?

Edited to add a PS: I've been told by an HRS staff member, as well as another long bun owner, that the Mini Rex breed is very prone to stasis issues. My experience proves that opinion to be true. :( (I'm not sure what's worse: Having a bun who experiences stasis most often, or one who has megacolon and/or stasis issues.)

While any drug can cause an adverse reaction, the only time I can imagine Revolution causing GI issues is if thereeither a massive overdose of the drug or a huge amount of parasites in the digestive tract and I would think that would be more of an upset GI rather than a slowing GI.

As far as the motility drugs....there is absolutely no good reason to ever give a rabbit motility drugs. None of my vets would even to there to suggest their use in my rabbits. These drugs are designed for a much different type of GI setup. There is no upside....anda huge downside with these type of drugs. I have never used them and never will....and will never allow anyone to use these drugs on any of my rabbits....period.

Randy

ra7751 wrote:
While any drug can cause an adverse reaction, the only time I can imagine Revolution causing GI issues is if thereeither a massive overdose of the drug or a huge amount of parasites in the digestive tract and I would think that would be more of an upset GI rather than a slowing GI.
I'm thinking her recent/current stasis issue isn't related to any drug, but I'd thought that I'd ask...just in case.
As far as the motility drugs....there is absolutely no good reason to ever give a rabbit motility drugs. None of my vets would even to there to suggest their use in my rabbits. These drugs are designed for a much different type of GI setup. There is no upside....anda huge downside with these type of drugs. I have never used them and never will....and will never allow anyone to use these drugs on any of my rabbits....period.
I know your feelings on the issue, Randy. ;)

Latest posts

Back