Rest In Peace Little 'Sand Man'

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamnock

Reaction score
My 5 year old son lost his favorite bunny :(

Matthew was away on a camping trip and "Sandman" succumbed to enterotoxemia over the weekend. It was so hard to have to break the news. I remember the day he picked out hisbunny -- they gazed into each other's eyes and it was love at first sight. Matthew paid for his new charge with a baggie of change that he had saved from his birthday. That little otter Netherland was one of the sweetest bunnies I've ever seen. He'd sit there for hours with Matthew.

My son Ryan made a special cross with Sandman's name on it -- we haven't had the "service" yet, as Matthew doesn't want to bury his bunny just yet, and keeps hoping Sandman will come back to his cage soon. For the time being, I wrapped Sandman up and put him into the freezer, so we can properly bury him when I come back from Columbus. It's been a stressful week for Matthew."Grandma" passed away last week, Sandman died and now Matthew is going to be upset that I'm leaving for the weekend. I didn't want to force him to bury his little bunny just yet.

I just feel so bad for him -- he loves his pets so much, and it's so sad to watch Matthew go out there and keep checking the cage :(

Pam N.

Dear Pam,

Matthew and Sandman will miss each other until they meet again.

My heart goes out to your whole family. It's so hard to watch your child grieve and know there's nothing you can do. It brings tears to my eyes that he keeps going and checking for Sandman. Every time he sees the empty cage, it's experiencing the loss all over again.

Matthew will talk about Sandman for the rest of his life, and you'll be able to say, "I remember him, and I recall him sitting with you end lessly." That will bring Sandman back to Matthew for a moment.

I'm so sorry this had to happen, especially now, Pam.

I'm glad you'll have a proper burial when you can. It'll make him feela little bit better to see other people sad about it and have to say good-bye in their own way too. Sandman was loved by the whole family,but a special prayer will be said for Matthew over the next few days.

In Sympathy, Thoughts, & Prayers,
-Carolyn

P.S. I recall when I was a child and had to deal with death, I thought everyone around me was going to die. Poor Matthew has his Grandmother and now Sandman. That's a lot for a little guy. He'll be okay, but what a drag!

What can I say, Pam? My deepest sympathy to your Matthew. Sandman is okay,now. I hope things improve for you and your family. You've been hit with some hard blows lately.

Our prayers will be for all of you.

Buck and Helen

Thank you so much for your thoughts everyone . . .

Here's a photo of Matthew with one of his other bunnies (Cara).

PamHalloween.jpg

Pam, thank you for sharing the photo of Matthew. He is a handsome little fellow with big beautiful eyes. I know those eyes are sad now because of his losses. A grandmother and a favorite pet all at the same time. At times like these, being with family and helping each other with the grief is best. I am so sorry for all your family has been through lately.Thank you for sharing and know that we are thinking of you and your family.Beckie

What a beautiful Child.

He takes after his Mother.

-Carolyn

Pam and Matthew

I am so sorry to hear about your loss give Matthew and hug for me. My heart and thoughts are with you and your family.

Aly

Latest posts

Back