Rest in Peace, Basil

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you everyone for the kind words.

I am beyond heartbroken right now. I knowI gave himthe most amazing life possible, but I still feel like there is a hole in my heart right now without him. Feels like piece of me is missing. I keep going in the room expecting to see his happy little face. Im just not sure how I can make it without him. He really became my best friend these past 8 years.

I met Basil when I was in college at MSU. My roommate and I wanted a pet but werent allowed to have cats and dogs. A friend of my mom's mentioned that she hadbunny who was not show quality so he had been given to her. She wanted to find him a good home. We never had any clue that bunnies could be shown or even live inside, so we were curious! I went to meet Basil and knew he was coming home with me. He was so sweet and so funny, so spunky and so loving too. Basil taught me so much over the years. When I got himwe were using a metal cage, cedar litter and feeding him Kaytee Fiesta. Over the years he helped me learn about proper nutrition, housing, care and finally to become involved in rabbit rescue. He is truly the reason dozens ofrabbits are alive and in loving homes today.

Basil lived the life of a king. He was always my top priority (yes, even over my fiance at most times) and I always made sure he got lots of treats, play time and snuggles. When I had him for a year I got him a buddy, Max, and they were inseparable from then on. I always had an inkling that even though he loved Max he always wanted a lady friend, so this year I brought home Hazel. It was truly meant to be. The three of them took to one another right from the start and were so happy together. He really had the best life possible for a bunny.

His arthritis had been getting really bad the past month or so. I had him on adequan and metacam but he wasnt getting any better. This week, he could barely eat on his own- I had to hold him over his bowls so he could stand to eat. He could barely movehimself around and spent most days layingin one place.The night before he passedhe was listless and I thought I was losing him. I took him out into the grass, thinking he would perk up and he just laid there. I brought him back inside and I held him and talked to him and sang to him for about 2 hours and then he perked up when i offered him water. He drank and drank and ate some fruit I offered him. He seemed to be ok and I thought maybe he was just dehydrated if he hadnt been able to get to his water during the day. I thought he was in the clear. He slept in bed with me all night and the nextmorning he was bad again..wouldnt eat or drink or anything. I held him and knew he was passing. I could just feel him slipping away from me. He was in my arms for about an hour and then passed. It was relatively painless (he did grind his teeth and take a few big last breaths) but I held him and cooed him and told him it was ok to go. Max and Hazel got to say goodbye.

Basil was the most special bunny I ever knew. He was so kind and gentle. He loved everyone and every bunny (and even my dogs too). He was so strong for Max during all of Max's surgeries and was always there to let me hold him and cry into his fur when I was having a bad day. None of my 5 other bunnies can even begin to fill the hole he has left. He was a true snuggle bunny and would lay with me for hours and hours. He was really one in a million.

Rest in peace, my sweet baby boy. I know I will see you again one day.

BasilnPenny095.jpg

His favorite place to be was in the sun...

July2010028.jpg

And with his best buddies, Max and Hazel...

Clearwater003.jpg

He loved all bunnies..Basil with Max and Biggie, last summer...

Picture104-1.jpg

With Max and Tumnus years ago:

3bunsbonding5.jpg

And with Cooper last week. We loved to snuggle together, the three of us:

July2010022.jpg

Some of my favorite pictures over the years...

Bunnies203-1.jpg

basresized.jpg

BasilSunlight2.jpg

Hammingitup.jpg

January2008210.jpg

I love you, my sweet boy. :bigtears:

PS. Max is doing ok, thanks for asking. He was able to say goodbye before and after Basil went. I think he knew for days Basil was passing. He has Hazel here to keep him company and Im giving him extra treats and attention. I just wish he would snuggle the way Basil did. :(

Oh Haley, that broke my heart :in tears:

Basil was truly a bunny in a million. He got along with everyone and everything and was loved by us all. I know how much you are hurting at the moment, and I'm sending lots of hugs your way :hug2:

Jan

Back