Resolved-snuffles or perspiration?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiah

Reaction score
i've noticed for the last few days to a week or so that our mini-lion-lop boy, Mufasa, sometimes has a damp area right under his nose. i don't see any mucus, persay, nothing colored or dried under the nose or on his forepaws...just a dampness under the nose. it seems to be moreso when he's been out playing, so i'm wondering if buns can perspire under the nose from breathing heavily? (i.e. the excitement and exercise related to running and binkying, etc.) i have noticed it when he's just lazing around as well, though. our little girl, Raeka, does not seem to have this problem (she's also a lionhead, but not part lop)...Mufasa's face is structured a little differently than hers and his nose is a little more "pushed in" looking...so i wonder if that could be affecting whether or not the dampness might be perspiration.

any advice or opinions out there? i'd rather not rush off to the vet if it isn't an emergency, but don't want to wait around and let him get sicker, if he is indeed sick. o_O

thanks!

Kaiah :shock:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that rabbits perspire through their upper lip...but since I don't remember when or where I read that I could be completely wrong!

Rabbitsregulate body heat by evaporation of moisture through respiration. If the moisture is not evaporating (in areas of high humidity or heavy exertion by the rabbit), it can condense under the lip (or in cases of heat prostration, the muzzle and mouth area).

Rabbits can sometimes experience a slight clear nasal discharge. In some cases, it can signify rhinitis if the discharge is constant and the rabbit is sneezing - but it does not always necessarily signify illness.

Pam

ok, thanks! he's not sneezing or acting sick, so i was more curious than worried. i'll keep an eye on him though, just to be safe.

thanks again!

Kaiah:biggrin2:

my Muffin has that too, and I was planning on asking the vet at her upcoming annual exam. i've heard that as long as it is clear, it's ok.

Hey there Kaiah, is he still doing okay? Back to normal? If so, we can mark this thread "Resolved":). Let us know when you get a chance. I hope all is well with the liitle guy;).

ah, sorry to have let this post go...

Mufasa's not sneezing or acting ill, so i've decided it probably isn't serious. the dampness only seems to occur when he's been out running around. i still watch him, but for the purposes of this forum, you can label this post as "resolved".

thanks!

Kaiah:)

Back