Resolved-Rabbit bleeding from foot area

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petlover

Reaction score
I had my dutch rabbit out and he started bleed from his nail or pad or somewhere on his left back foot, I can't tell where it's coming from. We have his foot in a baking soda/flour mixture to try to stop the bleeding but no such luck so far. It's been bleeding for thirty-forty-five minutes now and there quite a bit of blood. What should I do?

(I'm sorry if this is the wrong froum, I just need urgent help)

He probably broke a toenail off. It's seems horrible and like they never stop bleeding! Can you possibly turn him over to trance him and look at that foot better? or have you ever tranced him?

If not, have someone else hold him ( they can put a towel on themselves to keep the blood off)where you can see the foot. They have 4 toenails on the back feet and 5 on the front with the dewclaw.

He broke his first toenail on the right side of his left foot. It's almost all the way down and it's still bleeding... He seems pretty aggitated. We're letting him lick it and tend to it himself should we be? He's bitten off what was hanging off. He wont keep his foot in the mixture, should we hold it there?

He's still bleeding it's been about two hours now. He had put himself into a panic because he really doesn't like being out of his cage very long (I don't know why) so I let him go in his cage because he was just hurting and frightening himself more.

A dewclaw is just another claw that is above the other claws. I think they're mostly used for digging and for traction.

I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR BUNN!!!!:bigtears:

if your rabbit is kept outside I would bring him in he will heal faster:biggrin2: if he is kept in side than you should call a vet and they would know what to do;)if you need a good vet let me know what state you live in if you are close to me my vet is cheep and good I had to take one of my bunnies in once he was sick:Xand in total it only cost $30.00 :biggrin2:

Definelty don't bring him in, it will stress him out even more, you putting him back in his cage was the best thing to do.

You may not have to take him the vet, how is he looking now?

It should have stopped bleeding by now , mixture or none... so if it has not please bring him to a vet as it's possible that he also damaged tissue above the dewclaw or somehow caught it on something..

How is he doing?

Is the wound still bleeding?

You can try putting some cornstarch or flour on his toe to try to help it clot up and heal.

You will need to make sure it stays clean to avoid infection. You can get some betadine from a local pharmacy to clean it with.

Did the nail break off above the skin or below the skin? If it's below the skin, but just part of the quick, then it's a little less likely to get infected. If it broke in the toe itself, there is a higher likelyhood of getting infected, you may want to consult a vet about how to best avoid that.

I've had buns break off nails both above the skin and below the skin, and it all came out okay. Just keep it clean, and check it regularly.

Also, keep his cage nice and clean while it's healing. Clean it at least once a day (if possible twice). Give the solid surfaces a spray down with vinegar and then wipe clean.

He'll be most comfortable in his cage, exactly where it was left before. Just make sure it's clean to reduce the risk of infection.

--Dawn

Becca wrote:
Whats a dewclaw?? :shock:

The curled claw up on the inside of the front legs.

and

How is the bunny now? I went to bed and hoped you had seen the message to check him.

I hope it's stopped bleeding!

Thank-you everyone! It has stopped bleeding now (of course) it took about 2 1/2 hours to stop bleeding. He's just fine now eating, drink, & hopping around acting like his normal self. I (with the help of my sister) am going to wash his foot and put ointment on it. And clean his cage.

It was not under the skin, I can see where it's broken. He's nipped off what nail was hanging on and cleaned it up himself. Hopefully everything will go back to normal, I'm sure it will it looks fine he acts fine. Thanks again for being so kind. :)

I'm so glad he's ok! I know when Bo did that I just about DIED! He was bleeding forever it seemed! He actually was tender on that foot for a few days but his was clean to the skin! He no longer gets a nail there. He declawed himself! :shock:

Clover did it also and I didn't even know except I saw some blood splatter on her cage and then when I checked - she had a really short nail.

Keep some styptic powder or some styptic swabs around just incase.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I'm so glad he's ok! I know when Bo did that I just about DIED! He was bleeding forever it seemed! He actually was tender on that foot for a few days but his was clean to the skin! He no longer gets a nail there. He declawed himself! :shock:

Clover did it also and I didn't even know except I saw some blood splatter on her cage and then when I checked - she had a really short nail.

Keep some styptic powder or some styptic swabs around just incase.

Yeah scared me half to death! It looked like there was just blood everywhere to me, I was so worried.

Poor Bo,that sounds so painful.

~H :dutch

Latest posts

Back