RESOLVED (mostly) :Prayers for New Hope again...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I know....I know....we've been down this road a number of times and it looks like we'll be going down it again....but New Hope has gone back to rolling with his wry neck and he dropped some weight (I think) over the last 2-3 days.

So I would appreciate prayers and good thoughts and wishes as we try to stabilize him.

Peg

Oh NO! I just saw this..

Peg- will call you later..

NewHope- Ya better pull through fopr your mom.. Peg-asus

Robin is holding New Hope and napping with him for a bit while I check the forum. He had a really rough night and day today. He slept in my arms for 3 or 4 hours this morning and then got restless so I put him back in his basket - but he's now flipping himself up out of the basket and onto the floor - and then rolling while I'm asleep. I am going to have to run to Walmart and get him a taller basket to keep him in I think - I may try another option but I really need a tall narrow basket so he flips less.

We've been down this road before...three times? I forget..... So it isn't exactly like this is "new" for him - just nervewracking for me At least he is eating fairly well when I hold him (I just gave him about 1/4 of a banana and he gobbled it up) and I think I'm doing a good job of keeping him from getting dehydrated.

As many of you know - he's pretty dear to me. Its hard to not get close to a rabbit when there are times when you have to spend 2+ hours per day tending to their needs and oftentimes sleeping with them in your arms (to keep him from rolling and give me peace of mind). For a while today, I found myself wondering about his quality of life and if I was being selfish by fighting so darn hard.

Then I held him and fed him and spent about 15 minutes just rubbing his ears and petting him - and I looked in his eyes as he looked back at me. I knew - immediately - that he wanted me to fight for him and that he would do his best to fight too. I swear he smiled most of that time also - to know his mommy was holding him and rubbing his ears (one of his favorite things).

I'll try to update this every day or so - if we can get him to stop rolling then we'll be doing much better - its just sometimes it takes a bit of time to get him to stop....

Peg

Well - he just sat up to drink from a bowl (I was getting his syringe ready) and he drank probably 15 cc or more of his 1/2 baby food 1/2 pedialyte mixture. This is good - first of all that he sat up and secondly - that he drank! He also groomed himself for a bit before falling back over.

I really don't think he's ready to give up or have me give up either.

Art just got home from Walmart with his "new" basket - it is the same size but taller so he can't flip out. I hope he can get some good sleep in it once we get him settled.

Peg

I just read the bit about you holding him and petting him and looking into his eyes.... :tears2:

I'll be keeping both you and New Hope in my thoughts and sending all the get well vibes I can to you! :hug:

Jen xx

Well - he is eating and drinking (some) and not rolling as much. He was upset last night that I didn't let him sleep in my arms all night - and let me tell you - bunnies CAN pout. He actually got so worked up over being put back in the basket that he started rolling just from his anger and being upset....once I calmed him down and got him relaxed - he went right to sleep.

I held him on the couch a bit ago and we let a doe come over and groom him. (He wasn't up to doing anything and he was held the whole time). It really seemed to help him - and her. She's in ICU in the living room for one thing - not contagious to him at all - and she needed the interaction and he did too.

He really seemed to enjoy the grooming and the attention and I think he went back to his basket ok afterwards. I will probably let them interact with each other (with him being securely held) a couple of times per day to let them both feel like they've interacted with other bunnies.

He gets his next shot tomorrow and I really hope he continues to not roll so much.....I'm just worried cause he's so wiped out and tired.

Peg

I'm sorry - I've been so meaning to update this thread.

New Hope is eating again and he's not gaining weight but he's not losing it either. He is rolling some - but not a lot. He stands up sometimes but likes to lay on his side a lot.

My biggest challenge is usually keeping him from rolling too much (the new basket really helps with that) and making sure that he keeps his weight up..... 'cause I think the rolling must really burn up the calories plus he doesn't eat as well. He's having between 4 and 6 "meals" per day to keep his weight up.

Peg

Back