Resolved--Gas???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy27

Task Force
Reaction score
I read several threads on the board about gas but they all give different amounts of simethicone and different time periods to wait.

I believe Chase has gas. She turned down her dinner and refused a treat. So I ran off to the 24 hour pharmacy and got infant simethicone. I gave her 1cc already. Should I give her more? The book I have says 1cc but some of the links I looked at in the library said I could give up to 2cc. She weighs almost 7lbs. I was going to give 1cc every 30 minutes for the next couple of hours or until she starts eating. Does this sound okay?

She hated the simethicone I am hoping fighting with her to take it will have helped move any gas out. I tried to massage her stomach but after that she just wanted to get away from me. She is laying with her stomach pushed to the floor and she moved her butt up in the air a few times but kept her chest area down on the floor. This sounds like gas right?

I think the raisins caused this. I gave her a few raisins a few days ago and I thought afterwards she laid around more. Then I gave her a few more tonight and she was acting fine before I gave them to her. She has had raisins in the past without any problems.

Thanks for any advice. These things make me nervous because I always second guess what I am doing.

Chase still hasn't pulled through this. I gave her 3 doses now. 1cc at 2am, 1.5 cc at 2:30 and 1.3 cc at 3:15. She is laying in places she usually doesn't lay in. Like behind her litter box like she is hiding. I've got to get some sleep or I am going to fall asleep sitting up. I am going to put her in my room tonight and will wake up every hour to check on her. I hope she starts feeling better.

It sounds like gas.
I can look up the amount on the drug dose calculator ; the reason you are reading different amounts of simethicone is because we all give different amounts.

You could also give Chase a warm rice sock to snuggle with ( microwave rice in a sock until it is uniformly warm) and give some tummy gentle massages
also if Chase could run arond a bit that would help

a dose of benebac if you have it

also if Chase is able to have metacam you could give a dose of that.

Ihope she snaps out of it
one thing after another....:tears2:

Rabbits are so stressful!

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

You could prbably give more later as 7 lbs is a big girl ; but don't over do it either...

I had to throw away my lactated ringer as it was old so I don't have any to do sub q's. I don't think she is dehydrated yet as I did see her urinate. I do have metacam but I don't know if she can take that with the Lasix.

I have Peter's Rabbit probiotic is that the same as benebac except a different name?

I tried to massage her stomach and tried to give her a warm towel to lay on but she keeps trying to hide from me.

I tried the dose calculator but it gives me the does in mg and I only know what I am giving her in ml/cc's. I tried to find a conversion but am not having much luck. I just keep finding it depends on the substance.

I can get her to move around if I bother her but as soon as I leave her alone she lays back down with her stomach to the floor.

I think we might be making some progress. I went in after my last post and she was drinking some water. I got her to eat a few bites of a treat, a few pieces of cilantro and a few pieces of hay before she started to get annoyed by me. She still seems uncomfortable when she is moving like she is in pain.

I am now sure it is gas, when I was in there I could hear her stomach making noise.

So I will try to hand feed her for the next hour and if she stops making progress I will give her another dose in an hour since it will have been 2 hours from her last one.

Sorry if some of this doesn't make sense. I have been up for about 22 hours and am half asleep.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
I would make a vet appt. for the morning/tomorrow.Just to make sure. Make sure it's not just bad gas or something else.

Keepus posted!;)

If she isn't better tomorrow or gets worse tonight I will take her to the emergency vet. Her vet only works Mon-Fri.

Chase had blood work and an x-ray a week ago today so I hope if itwas anything too serious it would have shown.

I am glad there are some night owls on here. :)

Amy27 wrote:
I had to throw away my lactated ringer as it was old so I don't have any to do sub q's. I don't think she is dehydrated yet as I did see her urinate. I do have metacam but I don't know if she can take that with the Lasix.

I have Peter's Rabbit probiotic is that the same as benebac except a different name?

I tried to massage her stomach and tried to give her a warm towel to lay on but she keeps trying to hide from me.

I tried the dose calculator but it gives me the does in mg and I only know what I am giving her in ml/cc's. I tried to find a conversion but am not having much luck. I just keep finding it depends on the substance.

I can get her to move around if I bother her but as soon as I leave her alone she lays back down with her stomach to the floor.

The Peter's probiotic is probably OK
don't worryabout the conversion; I think that you've given enough simethicone for now

i would say to hold off on the simethicone until at least 6 AM and then give 1.5 cc

if she is still notlooking normal then I would try to get her to the vet...

hold off on the metacam; i forgot about the lasix.

Doe she look as if she is in pain?

I'm going to bed now Amy
There is not much else you can do right now
probably wouldn't hurt if you get a few hours sleep yourself
sometime I leave them alone for a few hours on purpose and when i come back they have peed and pooped and are normal

it does a bun no good for you to hover around in an anxious state
Good luck
i'll be back here tomorrow

Just wanted to say that I hope you and Chase are doing ok.

Not sure what time it is there, but it must be pretty late (or early :p) so I hope you do manage to get some sleep at some point.

Amy27 wrote:
AngelnSnuffy wrote:
I would make a vet appt. for the morning/tomorrow.Just to make sure. Make sure it's not just bad gas or something else.

Keepus posted!;)

If she isn't better tomorrow or gets worse tonight I will take her to the emergency vet. Her vet only works Mon-Fri.

Chase had blood work and an x-ray a week ago today so I hope if itwas anything too serious it would have shown.

I am glad there are some night owls on here. :)
I'm serious, if nothing changes or she gets just a bit better, get her to the vet! I waited, thinking it was gas. she was so healthly her whole life, all it can be is gas, not so! And it can all go wrong so quickly...:? Just giving you a heads up in what happened to me. Ok? I loved my sweet girl, it very well may have been cancer again with her, but how fast it happened? I don't know or think so. I don't believe in Necropsies, so, I didn't have one done:expressionless.

She is doing a lot better. She ate most of her dinner through out the night and morning. She is running around now and I can hear her eating her cardboard house. She still seems a little off eating her food. I gave her a treat this morning and she just picked at it. There was a lot of poop and pee though this morning. I don't think she is in any pain right now as she is running up and down the stairs. Does it usually take a little more time for their appetite to come back 100%?

That's really great she has improved :)

Any idea what caused it?

I don't know much about the appetite side but I've always found their appetite comes back before they start to poo and such, but that's not based on gas, more on other times when they have lost their appetite and not been pooing for other reasons.

I am sure it was the raisins I gave her. She was running around all night until I gave her the raisins. Never again, the raisins are going in the trash. That was very scary and I do not want to go through that again.

Amy27 wrote:
She is doing a lot better. She ate most of her dinner through out the night and morning. She is running around now and I can hear her eating her cardboard house. She still seems a little off eating her food. I gave her a treat this morning and she just picked at it. There was a lot of poop and pee though this morning. I don't think she is in any pain right now as she is running up and down the stairs. Does it usually take a little more time for their appetite to come back 100%?

Does she eat a lot of cardboard. ?
Some of mine eat the cardboard and some of them rip it into pieces and leave the pieces;
I would watch to see if she is eating a lot of cardboard.

some is OK but not a lot.

Appetite return depends on the bun but if she is still off her food watch her carefully
Glad that she is improved...:)

Sorry I went to bed early and did not catch this!

The Peter's probiotic contains some different bacteria than Bene-Bac. It would be ok to use in a pinch, but I'd rather have Bene-Bac on hand, or go get it at the store if it's open.

It sounds like she's doing better. It can frequently take a bunny quite a while to recover completely from a gas/stasis event. Snowyshiloh's Rory has been recovering from one for several weeks now (appears to be in the clear, though!). I would expect that her appetite should come back within the next 24 hours though.

Angieluv, I don't think she eats a lot. Sometimes she just rips it apart and doesn't actually eat it but I have seen her eat it before. The cardboard house she eats is in her run area so she only has access to it a few hours during the week and most of the weekend.

I am going out to dinner so I will grab some Bene-bac while I am out.

Chase still seems to be doing pretty good. Still isn't eating like she usually does but she will eat if I offer her something. Usually she will eat whatever I give her until it is gone and she will eat about half now. I never realized gas could be so bad. This is only the 2nd or 3rd time Chase has stopped eating. Through all her surgeries and stones she ate pretty much all of the time. I guess you never really know what will happen and should always be prepared.

Thanks everyone for all your help. This website is great. I would have had to have taken Chase to the ER last night if it wasn't for the information I have learned from this website about gas. I am happy to have saved $300-$400.

Latest posts

Back