Resolved *Advice...please.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexyRex

Reaction score
Okay, we're moving out on 5/1 and we've started to pack things up. Last night, I moved the buns from the computer room to the kitchen to free up room. Alaska was fine last night and this morning, I gave them both a papaya tablet on my way out the door. Tonight when I get home I notice that Alaska is not acting like herself. She's flopped out in her condo and does not want to get out. I tried to bribe her with banana and another papaya tablet, she does not want either. Normally she's all about getting out of the condo as soon as I walk through the door and even crazier about getting her papaya tablet. Gixxer came out of the condo for a little while, then went back inside to be with Alaska, I'm getting the impression that he's worried about her. I got her out of the cage and her ears feel a little cool. So does her nose, I don't think that it's damp though. Neither one ate much hay today, but some of their pellets are gone. The litter box doesn't look as full as normal, but it's hard to tell which poops belong to which bunny. Her tummy isn't hard and it's not making any noises.

Do you think that she's upset that her home was moved? Could that be the cause of the weird behavior, or could she be ill? The vet's office that they go to is 24-hours, so I can take her if need be. I think that I should just keep an eye on her for the next day, but on the other hand I know that things can go downhill super fast, so I don't know what to do. I'm not a very experienced bunny owner (only been one since July) so I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

Sorry so long-winded, I'm just worried about my little girl. Even the bf is worried!

Can you get her to get out and move around at all? I know it sounds like she doesn't want to come out, but it might help you to see more of what's going on. Also, if she is having stasis, moving around can help with getting things going again.

So her belly isn't hard, but is it unusually soft? Sometimes when they have gas their belly feels like mush- or like nothing's there at all because they're dehydrated.

I agree with GG that you should take her out and get her moving, if only for a little bit. Does she move stiffly or stretch oddly? That's often from tummy pains. Or watch for any sign of injuries, etc. It's hard to evaluate her when she's lying down.

Sorry to hear of your worries.. I too and to new to give "accurate" bunny advice (had Baxter! for all of 1 month), but I can tell you from my short experience with him, that when I first got him - he was stuck out on the patio - when I brought him inside I would have thought he would be over joyed but he moaped for the night. Also, my cats whenever they would see "moving boxes" they would know - that they were being moved to a new house and would be "off". As smart as buns seem to be maybe their just upset with the idea. Have they been in a house before where people moved? Did you get them from a family perhaps that gave them to you when they moved? I hope it works out well and please keep updating on the matter.

Naturestree.....

Yes! Her tummy does feel a little mushy and she is streching a little oddly. As I'm typing this she just came running into the computer room, so at least she's moving some! I don't have anything for her for gas. I need to get simthecone (sp?) right?

"She's flopped out in her condo and does not want to get out. I tried to bribe her with banana and another papaya tablet, she does not want either. Normally she's all about getting out of the condo as soon as I walk through the door and even crazier about getting her papaya tablet. Gixxer came out of the condo for a little while, then went back inside to be with Alaska, I'm getting the impression that he's worried about her. "

I would take her out and see if she poops. Keep out long enough. Try to get her to eat something. I would definitely trust your instincts and trust Gixxer on this. Bam-Bam would do exactly that with Wiggles. My cat too would let me know when the buns aren't well.

It could be the beginnings of a gas attack, urine infection, etc. Clean out the litterbox. Anything that would seem abnormal would most likely be hers. So small poops, mushy poops, dark urine, etc...

Meanwhile, make sure she is hydrated. You might want to give her some pedialyte as a precaution. Try and see if she is drinking on her own. If not, you'll need to syringe it to her. It is extremely important. Also try and get her to eat some hay and keep her warm. As long as her belly isn't feeling hard and bloated, you can gently massage her tummy and see if that helps anything. Also listen for any loud gurgling.

Obviously it can be lots of things. I only mentionned the most common one. If she doesn't get better, it's best to take her in and have her checked.

Hope she'll be feeling better soon :rose:

Yes, she needs simethicone= baby gas meds. You should be able to find it just about everywhere. I picked some up at a grocery store in the middle of the night last week. 1 mL every hour or two. Gentle tummy rubs will also help. Try massaging her lower belly in circles towards her rear. Vibrations from an electric toothbrush or an electric shoulder massager may help as well, just be gentle with them.

Off to the grocery store for baby gas meds and pedialyte. Now she's acting okay, she's running around with Gixxer and she even took a papaya tablet from me:biggrin2:
But I like to err on the side of caution. I'm also thinking no veggies for a couple of days just to make sure that she's okay.

You guys are AWESOME!! Thank you so much for the quick advice :pink iris:

Sometimes all they need is a little movement to help them get the gas out. But it is a good idea to have simethicone on hand especially now that you know that she does get the occasional gas issues.

I'd keep her diet the same unless there's something new you just added. Maybe cut out veggies that tend to be gassy like broccoli or cabbage for now, just in case.

Well, when I got back from the grocery store she was running around the living room binkying with Gix. I think that she probably had gas, but passed it. Either that or she wanted to give me a heart attack! Good thing is now I have stuff for gas should either one get it again. She also attacked her papaya tablet this morning before I left for work like usual. I really appreciate all of the advice and good thoughts from everyone :)

Glad she is ok sometimes i swear they just like to freak us out!! good to have the meds on hand though esp. if you are moving and she doesnt like new places

Latest posts

Back