Resetting a Bun's Behavior?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyva

Reaction score
Not really sure how to word this, but I have a strange question.

Cucumber has been with us since Tuesday afternoon. And right from Tuesday evening, I've been home with him. He sees me through most of the day, we have playtime outside the cage and I give him pets before bed.

I don't leave the house often as I work from home. That said, the last two days, I've had to leave the house along with my hubby to visit family for the holidays.

Each time I come back, I open Cucumber's NIC cage, offer him my hand and wait for nosebumps before petting. Problem is, each time I ask for nosebumps (permission) to pet him after one of my trips outside the house, he kind of shrinks away.

I'll close his cage and sit at my desk beside it, and he'll sit against the wall closest to me, but he won't ask for pets after I've been out of the house for a while.

I'm kind of wondering if he's like this because of the strange smells I may be bringing inside, or if he's just upset with me leaving him home.

It's not concerning. He still flops out, eats, drinks and poos, I'm just wondering if I'm somehow stressing him out? I know he's been binking less. I know he's cautious of my hubby since he leaves every day for work (which happens to be a feed shop) so he comes home with all kinds of smells.

We also have a few stray cats outback that like to sleep around or under my car, so maybe Cucumber smells them? We have other pets inside with us, including a cat that Cucumber has seen (and has no problem with), so I'm not sure.

And now I'm just running in circles.

He seemed to adjust back to his normal, binky self last night, hours after we got home. I'm hoping the same happens tonight, but I know he's still adjusting to our routines.

Anyone able to help with this, or is he just being a funny boy?

He sounds like he is being funny. It might be all the weird smells but also because he is still trying to get to know you. He might be a more shy boy and take a little longer to warm up to new people. I would give it time and continue doing what your doing. When you have play time do you sit on the floor and see if he will come to you? With my frenchie I would just lay on the floor he would come over smell and just binky away. I would hold some treats in my hand and give them to him as he came over.

I sometimes sit on the floor and wait for him, or I'm at my desk, but I get up a lot to check on him. A lot of times he's flopped out behind my chair.

Cucumber usually just lets me pet him while he's eating, or right when i open his cage and say good-morning. otherwise he's more interested in running around or lying under one of the other animal cages for a power nap :)

I just noticed the change in behavior after I opened his cage to let him out.

Thank you so much :)

His behavior may change with time also, at least as far as petting goes. Most of the time now Thumper is more than happy to lay and be petted. There are times when he's just full of energy where he's fine if you pet him but he doesn't stop for it. The rest of the day if you start to pet him within a second in some cases maybe a few moments in others he will lie down and get comfy. He will lay there for long periods if you keep petting.

Now when he was young he was fine with petting but he rarely ever would slow down for them or lie down once you started. He was just a young guy full of energy.

I also think your bun may still be getting used to you, your home, and all the new smells.

I think you're probably right, Pagal. But because we're all so new to one another, I wanted to make sure it wasn't something bad, you know?

It looks like his shyness? has passed. He almost jumped me on the way to his cage (he's free roaming currently) because he saw food dishes :)

Also, bunnies like people, have moods. My Conan at least once every few weeks gets sullen. Both my rabbits sometimes get timid or skittish. Nothing has changed in my environment but them. Plus as he ages he might change certain behaviors. I wish pet caring was a science, but it's not so do your best and show the love, that's all we can do. Cute lil guy by the way.

Aww, thank you, Troller. Looks like you have two buns in your pic? They look lovely.

Oh, I know they can have moods :) Hubby and I had a larger rabbit before we moved 4 years ago, and man, you knew when she wanted you out of her way. Looks like Cucumber has a little 'bossy' in him, but right now it's limited to his toys :)

Latest posts

Back