Rescuing Two Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Kewl

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am Chris Haslage; my wife Christina and I like bunnies and think theyare cute, plus with my sister-in-law Krystalily showing off her newlops makes me a bit jealous and I want a few of my own. So weare looking at adopting a few from a rescue to bring into our family.

Butterscotch:
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7822962

Carmella:
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7822971

(We have not been approved yet from the rescue for these bunnies, theyare screening us to make sure we fit what they are looking for.)

I really like what I have seen with the NIC Condo/Cage ideas and wantto try my hand at that craft as well. Since I work from home,the bunnies will have a lot of attention.

I am quite new to what a bunny needs, so I should read your 101 guideand get some help in that area before I run out and get some NIC cagepieces. :p

Thanks!

Chris

Hi!! Welcome to the forum!!:welcome1

I took a look at those links, what an adorable pair!!:inlove:(Although did anyone else find it strange that it says rabbits arerodents in it?:?)

You will learn all you need to know here!! And if you can't findsomething or need help, feel free to ask a question here and someonewill happily answer it for you:D

Enjoy posting!!:bunnydance:

Michaela:), Ebony:bunny5 and Pebble:anotherbun

I thought it was strange too Michaela, but Iread up that lagomorphs (what bunnies are) used to fall under thesuperfamily of rodents, but now has been changed to be a seperateorder.

Some people are still mistaken about that, I guess.

Kind of funny. You need to match their criteria but they are calling them rodents.

Oh and Hi!

Krystalily wrote:
I thought it was strange too Michaela, but I read up thatlagomorphs (what bunnies are) used to fall under the superfamily ofrodents, but now has been changed to be a seperate order.

Some people are still mistaken about that, I guess.
Yep, that's right, along with Hares and Pikas:)

Very strange that they are still calling them rodents!! lol

Okay, maybe this person at therescue doesn't know as much about bunnies as I would hope:

OK. Carmella and Butterscotch had to be separated as they werefighting with one another.They are in two differentcages stacked on top of each otherhere. They arenotspayed and have not had any shots. To be honest,I wasn'taware thatrabbits got vaccines??As far as box trained. They just go in their cages here....Idon't know if they were box trained prior to coming here or not buthere they are just in plastic bottomed cages. Please let meknow if you would still be interested ornot.
That makes me a bit worried to be honest. What do you guys think?

Chris

yeah,a lot of rescues dont know much about bunnies. I wouldnt worry about it though.

How far are you from Toledo? Ivolunteer atMidwestRabbit Rescue in Plymouth, MI andthey work closely with SafeHaven rescue in Toledo. If things dont work out with these guys, let meknow and I can put you in touch with a lady there. You can see theMidwest bunnies here:http://www.rabbitrr.org/Theyare usually able to transport to Toledo :)

Good luck in your search. Bunnies are so much fun to have in your home!

Edited to add: rabbits in the US dont get vaccines. Also, if they arefighting now, they may not ever bond. Spaying will definitely help, butits not a guarantee and you have to be committed to possibly housingthem separate if they dont bond.

My sister-in-law and brother-in-law live in AnnArbor, so if this doesn't work out maybe we can swing by the shelterthen swing by their house and say hi with our new babies. :)It's an idea nonetheless.

Are your bunnies fixed and some bonded as well?

Thanks!

Chris

They all come fixed. Its included in theadoption fee. Some are in bonded pairs. If you check the website youcan see them. Im not sure if there are any bonded lop pairs, but I knowthere are lops available.;)

They do have some lop babies that should beready to go soon, but they havent been altered yet. You would adoptthem and have to bring them back to be altered. I would recommend anolder pair so you dont have to work on bonding and litter training.

Heres a very sweet couple:http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=4998355

MI382.4998355-1-pn.jpg

Ohh they have Netherland dwarfs, and a flemish giant.

Haley wrote:
They do have some lop babies that should be ready to gosoon, but they havent been altered yet. You would adopt them and haveto bring them back to be altered. I would recommend an older pair soyou dont have to work on bonding and litter training.

Heres a very sweet couple:http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=4998355

MI382.4998355-1-pn.jpg
What is altering? I'm not much on my hip lingo.That is an adorable pair, I love the spotted one in thebackground. The one on the foreground is cute too.Is that one prone to biting its ears? (I have heard horror stories ofbunnies nibbling on their ears and them bleeding).

Thanks!

Chris

Okay, then my mom was just telling me stories when I was a kid so I didn't get a bunny. ;)

As far as altered, that's a relief for me. :)

Finally, my wife and I are considering a trip to MichiganonMarch 9th and 10th to see her sister's new twin lops (Jazzand Spazz). Is Ann Arbor really far away from theshelter? Maybe we all can go and see what you have that canbe rescued?

Thanks!

Chris

Its about 10 minutes from Ann Arbor. I liveabout 45 minutes away, so I dont get down there as often as I wouldlike, but I do a lot of fostering for them.

If youre interested, check out their website. If you see anyone youlike, you can contact Dominique (her email address is on the site) andshe can give you some more info. Shes wonderful, shes the one who doesadoptions and cares for the bunnies. That way if youre interested youcould visit them and see if there are any you fall in love with. ;)

Is this all the selection of rabbits there:
http://search.petfinder.com/shelterSearch/shelterSearch.cgi?animal=Rabbit&status=X&shelterid=MI382

If so, I will start sorting now and then contact Dominique. Though, I will be posting the pairs that I like. ;)

Thanks,

Chris

Edit: I am going through this list and there are dates that goback as far as 2005. I had to stop there just in realizationthat you don't have some of these cuties available anymore.

Here are my picks so far:

Carly & Simon -- I've been in radio for years and this justscreams perfect for me. The brown one on the right needs todrop a few lbs but they are both adorable.
MI382.3208295-1-pn.jpg

Jenny & Justin -- Bunny kisses! AWW! So cute!
MI382.3208325-1-pn.jpg

Dusty & Midnight -- Last dated in 05, so I doubt this couple is available.
MI382.4022551-1-pn.jpg

Marge & Noah -- My wife is a fan of floppy ears, I ama fan of the opposite breed, sothey aregreat for ustoo.
MI382.4998355-1-pn.jpg

The biggest thing is I want an energetic couple that like to be cuddledand are box trained... And will like their NIC Condo that Ineed to build. ;)

The lady from my local rescue replied back to my questions:
They were said to have been bonded but that is not what I haveseen. I like to think they sense each other and it is acalming for them but I don't know. I felt bad separating thembut..... Maybe if they were spayed they would be ok?? Theyare so funny to watch...they throw toilet paper rolls up in the air androll over top of them. Very playful babies!
I really would like to give them a home, Butterscotch is reallycute. Though I do think that if they aren't fixed, that'll bethe first thing we need to do before we bring them home.

Just so you guys can see what they look like, here are the pictures:

Butterscotch:
OH335.7822962-3-pn.jpg

Carmella:
OH335.7822971-2-pn.jpg

I love Butterscotch, she's so cute. My wife is a floppy earfan so maybe she will take a shining to Carmella. I hope wecan go over there and look at them and see how they like us.

Chris

Chris, it looks like the link you posted abovefor midwest is for their adopted bunnies that already have homes. Youhave to go to www.rabbitrr.org andclick on the right hand corner where it says view our rabbits onpetfinder to see current adoptable bunnies.

Those two from your local shelter sure are gorgeous though!If you do bring them home, make sure you read up on bunny bonding inour bunny 101. And you have to be prepared for the possibility thatthey might not bond. That means 2 cages and everything. Butspaying will definitely help. I would suggest spaying them and thenattempting bonding. You have to introduce them on neutral territory(like a bathroom or something) and work from there.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back