Rescuing again

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnbunn

Reaction score
So I'm finally going to see those 2 bunnies today I posted about. I had to be sneaky and write from a made up email. When I asked 2 more questions she no longer responded. I'm guessing she works a lot and doesn't have time to answer a bunch of questions. It's taken me 3 days just find a day and time to agree on. No problem on my part just hers. Hard to get ahold of. Anyway the pics on the ad stuck with me. Living in filthy hutches or so it looks. Dirty old water bottles. I doubt they get hay. They're probably free fed and get zero exercise. They're supposedly friendly. They will get measured out pellets and lots of hay(hope they'll eat it). I'll probably foster them for a short time just to see how they are and find them better homes. I just ate seeing animals being neglected and treated badly. What did they do, nothing. Maybe a pic or 2 later.
This is the photo that really stuck with me. They will treated better here. :happyrabbit:

image.jpg

Oh my gosh! That's a filthy hutch! I'm sure they will be much better off with you. I hate seeing animals in situations like this. :( He doesn't look like he has much space and the wire flooring doesn't look very good without a pad for him to lay on so he doesn't get sore hocks. Do you know how old they are?

Last edited:
She called them hoto's.. Lmao..the ones not even a dwarf. Omg their nails were so long. We cut them right away. It's a team effort. They both sat good to get nails clipped. The hotot was in a disgusting hutch. The brown was in an all metal cage. The water bottles were really dirty and digusting. She didn't offer anything with them not even food. They were on a farm. Now they're in better hands. Some people don't see rabbits as we do. Disposable animals. It's sucks but its a reality. The hotot is a year and a half and the brown one is around 2.

She kept asking if I had hutches. I'm thinking I wouldn't take a hutch even if it was free. Soooooo gross!

So glad you found them & were able to take them! Now they will be happier & healthier with the proper care & love! Yes, please post pix! Would love to see the progress these two make from their previous home! It always saddens me when people don't spend time with their animals & give them the care they need to not only be healthy but happy too!

Here's new pics. These 2 are cute. I could use some names for these girls. They ate hay overnight. I know their feet feel much better. Even being treated as wild animals they could've cut their nails. The hotot isn't so scared. She was in a 1st grade class for the first year of her life. Indoor bunny became an outdoor bunny. The previous owner wasn't the most friendly. Definitly not an animal lover.

image.jpg

The second bunny reminds me of Bugs Bunny for some reason so how about naming her after Bugs' girlfriend (I think), Babs. Or another possible name for either bun that came to me was Beatrix for Beatrix Potter. You could call her Bea (pronounced Bee) for short. Will think some more! You'll find that perfect name!

I like babs for the brown one. Seems to fit for some reason. Now i need to one for the hotot. Hmm

I like Babs too. I think it fits her. :)

Here are some for the hotot, Snowball, Belle, Blizzard, Bianca, Buttercup, Tulip, Rose, Ruby, Chole, Daisy. I'm sure you'll find a good name for her.

okay... hold here... there's hair hanging on the cage. the rabbit looks healthy. the cage could use a burn off for the hair, but overall that's not a horrid cage. No poop build up. Water bottle is dark which MIGHT be algae (won't hurt a rabbit) but also might be discolouration due to how the bottle gets cleaned (been there, had that). But the rabbit looks good and is actually housed in a large cage for it's size.

Many pet people don't cut nails so don't rag on the previous owner for not doing so. It's part of caring for critters that many people fall behind on.... seeing as I've read more than one post on this forum from people who can't cut their own bunny nails. (and do we rag on them for that? no.. we strongly encourage them to do so but we don't rag on them).

The previous owner rescued a bun from a first grade class. Fed and housed them like livestock...which yes... rabbits are multi-purpose animal...they can be livestock AND they can be pets. both. Sometimes exclusionary, but often times dual purpose, pets as well as stock. Caring for an animal as livestock does not mean lack of care.

Both were in excellent health yes?

Is that not in the end what really matters?

I've rescued buns that had a lovely hutch/cage, clean bottles etc.. that came to me as skin and bone because the MOST important part of taking care of the bun was neglected...adequate feed.

These two rabbits were fed, housed, clean, and relatively healthy. They appear to have had large cages for their size. The one appears to be an oversized dwarf hotot (though could be a blanc d'hotot though they are quite rare). The other is possibly a mutt...but I've seen folks call rabbits all sorts of things such as a "Rare Alaskan Rex" cause that's what THEY were told it was. So don't rag on the previous owner for not knowing.

I am glad that you are working to provide these rabbits a pet type home. But please don't rag on people for housing and caring for animal in a way that is unfamiliar to yourself. There is more than one way to care for rabbits...and these rabbits WERE cared for, but their surrounding perhaps were not. THAT is what is at fault here.

Oh, I thought of another name based on my suggestion of Beatrix Potter! Trixy! Or Trix! Oh, and there is a General Mills cereal called Trix with Trix the rabbit.

Quote from General Mills website on Trix cereal:
The Trix Rabbit just can’t resist those fruity flavors – raspberry red, lemony lemon, orangey orange, wildberry blue, grapity purple and watermelon.

Trix or Trixy would be a cute name too! Anyway hope you soon find that perfect name! Can't wait to find out! lol

okay... hold here... there's hair hanging on the cage. the rabbit looks healthy. the cage could use a burn off for the hair, but overall that's not a horrid cage. No poop build up. Water bottle is dark which MIGHT be algae (won't hurt a rabbit) but also might be discolouration due to how the bottle gets cleaned (been there, had that). But the rabbit looks good and is actually housed in a large cage for it's size.

Many pet people don't cut nails so don't rag on the previous owner for not doing so. It's part of caring for critters that many people fall behind on.... seeing as I've read more than one post on this forum from people who can't cut their own bunny nails. (and do we rag on them for that? no.. we strongly encourage them to do so but we don't rag on them).

The previous owner rescued a bun from a first grade class. Fed and housed them like livestock...which yes... rabbits are multi-purpose animal...they can be livestock AND they can be pets. both. Sometimes exclusionary, but often times dual purpose, pets as well as stock. Caring for an animal as livestock does not mean lack of care.

Both were in excellent health yes?

Is that not in the end what really matters?

I've rescued buns that had a lovely hutch/cage, clean bottles etc.. that came to me as skin and bone because the MOST important part of taking care of the bun was neglected...adequate feed.

These two rabbits were fed, housed, clean, and relatively healthy. They appear to have had large cages for their size. The one appears to be an oversized dwarf hotot (though could be a blanc d'hotot though they are quite rare). The other is possibly a mutt...but I've seen folks call rabbits all sorts of things such as a "Rare Alaskan Rex" cause that's what THEY were told it was. So don't rag on the previous owner for not knowing.

I am glad that you are working to provide these rabbits a pet type home. But please don't rag on people for housing and caring for animal in a way that is unfamiliar to yourself. There is more than one way to care for rabbits...and these rabbits WERE cared for, but their surrounding perhaps were not. THAT is what is at fault here.

Wasn't ragging on anyone. Those pics were mild compared to what we showed up to. Yes they were fed but not what they should be eating. Thier nails were most likely never cut. No the hotot wasn't rescued from a 1st grade class. It was a school her daughter was working in. The hutch and cage they were in were filthy and just gross. I feel like I'm being scolded.. Jeez

Oh, I thought of another name based on my suggestion of Beatrix Potter! Trixy! Or Trix! Oh, and there is a General Mills cereal called Trix with Trix the rabbit.

Quote from General Mills website on Trix cereal:
The Trix Rabbit just can’t resist those fruity flavors – raspberry red, lemony lemon, orangey orange, wildberry blue, grapity purple and watermelon.

Trix or Trixy would be a cute name too! Anyway hope you soon find that perfect name! Can't wait to find out! lol

Trixie sounds good..might stick with that.

Like your spelling better! I think Trixie is a cute name for a bun! Hopefully you will find those two the perfect names. Hope they are transitioning well to their new home.

Babs and trixie it is. They're eating good. They gobble up Timothy hay. A bit scared of course but hopefully that'll change.

Hooray for Babs & Trixie! I love the names too! lol My two does were already named & they recognized their names so I kept them, Faith & Hope! I still have several names I had thought would be good bunny names but while I would love to add to my little bunny family I think two are plenty for a small house with all the rest of us. lol

I'm sure they will settle in nicely with a little patience & taking things slow! Oh, and healthy little treats work wonders for reinforcing positive behaviours. Its worked wonders for my girls! lol I think my Faith will eventually be a real snuggle bun! Hope is my little mischievous imp bun! lol She is shy with people but looks for trouble wherever she can find it! lol My pet names for them are Tribble & Trouble! lol Can't wait for your updates & more pix of your Trixie & Babs!

Latest posts

Back