Rescued another bunny. Need advice ASAP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostrabbitfound

Reaction score
So, if anyone remembers me I had previously found my bunny Sugar on the road next to my house.

To make a long story short, about 4 days ago my husband spotted ANOTHER rabbit on our street. She was ducking and diving under parked cars and into front yards. I tried to catch her with a humane trap (bunny enters and trap shuts, no harm done) but she disappeared. Over the next few days I saw her running up and down the street. This morning I checked for her when I woke up and to my surprise she was in our front yard. I managed to catch her finally (when I placed the trap down he/she entered straight away). I have checked her body for wounds and he/she seems to be OK. Her fur is all yucky because it has been raining here over the last week and she has obviously been stepping into gutters and rain water. She is very tiny, she seems even younger/smaller than Sugar when I first found her. I have placed her in a quiet area in a seperate cage with the correct type of pellets, hay etc. She's not interested in water, but i've still placed some in her cage. Her poo seems very tiny and shrivled up. Is this because she is dehydrated? I am unable to travel to the vet this week so if anyone has pointers or advice i'd appreciate them. One of her eye rims looks slightly pinker than the other eye, but there is no discharge. Could it be just a mild irritation from being outside?

I'm guessing she came from the same people that Sugar escaped from, they probably have a crappy cage that these rabbits keep escaping from. I hope they stop getting new bunnys, or get a better hutch.

20120724_101402.jpg

20120724_101324.jpg

I think you're probably doing the right thing for now. Giving him a quiet place to stay, with some pellets, hay and water. Forcing him to take water might make it worse, but maybe you could put a little something in the water to entice him to drink? Someone else might have an idea.

Well the good news is that he/she is nibbling on hay, but still not interested in water or pellets. I've tried soaking a pellet in water and seeing if that might get her going but no luck. She looks an OK weight in the pictures, but I have a feeling most of that is because of her fluffy fur.. when I hold her I can feel her bones a bit too well, especially the back legs. I hope she recovers, what a waste of a bunny if she didn't... it annoys me how people can be so careless at the expense of an animals life :( I hope I don't see any more rabbits in our street, I would rather offer to pay for a decent hutch for these people who seem so clueless about their escaping baby rabbits than have to see this for a third time...

Usually it's not the rabbit escaping, it's the owner turning them out. Cute little bunny. Once upon a time we found one in our front yard--I called and she came right to me and let me pick her up. Good luck. Maybe get some alfalfa for her to eat as a starter, plus it's got higher protein and calcium so it would probably be better for right now.

I've given bunny alfafa based pellets made specifically for young rabbits and also meadow hay.. his/her poo is looking way better, and he/she is also drinking lots of water :) So far so good! I've become violently ill overnight and today, so I think its destiny that I ended up catching her the morning before I got so sick.. happy to save this little bun..

Ohhh cute bun and glad you found her. Glad she is doing better. I think the poops could look way worse considering but they aren't great of course.....

Hope you feel better soon too. Keep us updated!

Thanks for the sweet replies :hearts

I'm feeling a bit better today so I have snapped a couple of pictures for everyone to see.. he or she is slowly transforming into a much happier bunny :)

2012-07-26140101.jpg

20120726_135204.jpg

awww she is so lovely! Im glad she found you, you are doing such a good job. Not sure what part of Sydney you live in, but there is an awesome rescue in Sydney somewhere called Porche's Rescue, she can give you some pointers or even adopt her if she has the space, unless you want to keep this gorgeous little one for yourself! I would find it hard to resist.

She does it out of her own home and has helped a lot of bunnies and other small animals find a home.

In terms of getting her to eat and drink, give her some grass if you can get some, that will help her belly and also with a little moisture. What the other guys said about some alfalfa (lucern) hay is a good idea for a little protein and calcium. I wouldn't feed it as a staple though. Sounds like you have the Oxbow pellets too, they are really good.

The little bun looks much healthier than the first photo, what a little sweety. Good luck and if you need any other pointers let us know :)

Hi Kizza! So sorry for the late reply, I missed your post. Where in Sydney is Porche's Rescue? I will have to give this bun away as he will become a bigger bunny than I can handle (we have hutches suitable for mini lop sized bunnys only). I was thinking of either giving him/her to the RSPCA or Kellyville Pets. But i'd be more than happy to give him/her to a rescue. And yes they are the Oxbow pellets, they're my favourite brand :)

Could it be that there is a male/female pair out there free range some where and you are finding there babies?

Latest posts

Back